Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you change the 2nd Amendment
Yes. It needs some type of revision. 18 21.18%
No. 67 78.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:02 AM

25,777 posts, read 16,394,630 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to argue in this thread. I'll just state my opinion and leave it at that.

I don't think it's unfair that every single firearm be registered and licensed and re-licensed every year with the current owner and a ballistic sample taken.

Cut out half of the conceal and carry permits within 5 years. And then cut that amount in half the next 5 years. I work with a nut who I wouldn't trust with a BB gun who has a C & C permit. That alone tells me there is something wrong with the system.

The 2nd amendment guarantees people the ownership of firearms, but like everything that can be regulated. We DO NOT have to let them carry them outside of their property. Freedom of speech is protected, but it's also regulated.

If you want to own guns that's great, but you are responsible for them should be the spirit of future gun laws.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 AM

11,078 posts, read 10,637,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm not going to argue in this thread. I'll just state my opinion and leave it at that.

I don't think it's unfair that every single firearm be registered and licensed and re-licensed every year with the current owner and a ballistic sample taken.

Cut out half of the conceal and carry permits within 5 years. And then cut that amount in half the next 5 years. I work with a nut who I wouldn't trust with a BB gun who has a C & C permit. That alone tells me there is something wrong with the system.

The 2nd amendment guarantees people the ownership of firearms, but like everything that can be regulated. We DO NOT have to let them carry them outside of their property. Freedom of speech is protected, but it's also regulated.

If you want to own guns that's great, but you are responsible for them should be the spirit of future gun laws.
I wouldn't want to defend that position either, so I don't blame you for not wanting to do so.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:06 AM

45,043 posts, read 26,201,042 times
None.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:14 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,085,834 times
Require gun safe laws, set cap on # guns per sub- adult, set up tax and mandatory insurance to cover gun crimes and enforcement, federal database on guns & owners, mandate all gun transfers be documented, and filed with local/fed authorities.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,895,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
People who think changing our constitution have no business being here.

Lets keep catering to the criminals, moochers, low life's, etc and screw the hard working law abiding Americans.

Normally, the masses follow the celebs, but one celeb has it right, Adam Levine. Im starting to feel the same way. To many stupid voters. To many people that put all their trust and faith into government.

There was a time when nearly all Americans were so proud of our constitution. It's what made us great. Now so many want it changed. People want to follow in other countries democracy's which have failed.

So, No. The 2nd should not be changed. I should not be touched. We have thousands of needless gun laws already that need to be wiped.
Or actually enforce the ones that've been on the books for years. You know, ones like not giving guns to obvious felons like was done in F&F or actually arrest and jail people who lie on a gun application? Things like that.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:31 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,910,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The Federal Government should not have a role in firearms laws. The 2nd Amendment clearly states that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed by the government, and any firearms restriction that is passed down from the federal level constitutes an infringement. Any laws relating to firearms should be passed by State Legislatures.
OK, that sounds good, especially for the residents of Montana (and several other states)!

The Constitution of the State of Montana, Article II, Section 12. RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of any person to keep or bear arms in defense of his own home, person, and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall not be called in question, but nothing herein contained shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons.

You bet, leave it up to the States! It works for me! You might want to read YOUR state Constitution. I bet a lot of people would be surprised if they did that!
By the way, Montana is also pretty much of a "will issue" state. If you can legally buy a gun, you can get a CCP (Concealed Carry Permit). You might have to take a class, if you have no verifiable firearms experience.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:58 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,224,075 times
It should be illegal to hurt or rob another person--it should NOT be illegal to have the MEANS to hurt or rob another person. We all are physically able to harm others--with a car, or a bat, or a knife, or a fist, or a frying pan. Normal people do not physically harm others (unless defending themselves), and it is not inability that prevents them from doing so. It is the fact that normal adults don't use physical violence--and those who do should already be in jail.

As long as a citizen is an adult, is not mentally ill in a way that inhibits self-control, has not committed a crime (a real crime, not using pot or speeding), and who is educated and competent in safely handling a gun, he/she has the right to bear arms. Considering that "gun-free" zones like schools do nothing but ensure a homicidal maniac can murder EVERYONE on the premises, they are counter-productive. Students are not adults and can be prohibited from having guns at school or outside of supervision, but certainly instructors and administrative staff should be trained and encouraged to have firearms (in a quick-release locking gun safe) available in an emergency.

Same goes for pilots on airplanes--this "air marshall" crap is yet another government-growing waste of money.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:09 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,224,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
...Cut out half of the conceal and carry permits within 5 years. And then cut that amount in half the next 5 years. I work with a nut who I wouldn't trust with a BB gun who has a C & C permit. That alone tells me there is something wrong with the system.

Phasing out the 2nd Amendment is the same thing as repealing it. Do that, and don't be surprised when the next Hitler grabs power and marches you into the gas chamber.

As to the "nut" with the C&C permit, he had to pass a criminal background check as well as a certified gun safety course, and put his fingerprints on record for law enforcement, to get the permit in the first place. If he did anything illegal or irresponsible with his firearms, he would not only lose the permit, but would probably go to jail. Until you are crowned "Emperor," your opinion that he shouldn't be trusted with a BB gun is totally irrelevant.

And as to regulating firearms out of the hands of citizens--the 2nd Amendment is quite clear with the wording "shall not be INFRINGED." The Founding Fathers knew exactly how future Big Government would attempt to get around the 2nd Amendment, because it had happened a million times already in human history.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:12 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,548,209 times
Without the 2nd and the fear of it you can have none of the others.

That's right. FEAR. PC freakazoids call it a Healthy Respect.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:12 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,916,443 times
I'm for any and all laws that places extream testicular presure on gun nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies