Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:04 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
About 237 years late to the party.
Nonsense. The Founders never meant for our political leaders to make decisions based on 'divine' voices in their heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 11:04 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
So, when God told Herman Cain, Sarah Palin, Michele Bachman, Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum to run for office, I guess he was just messin' with them?
It appears God has a sense of humor.

"Run for office, Rick!"

Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Ouch. My feelings are hurt.

Do you believe that it happened or not? (i know damn well that you believe it)

Again, i have a right to call a wacko a wacko if he/she exhibits such behavior. Either keep Boehner or don't, but don't tell me that i can't scrutinize the method of decision making.

Hell, let's pull out an oldie but goodie:

Gog and Magog? We're making foreign policy based on that stuff?
It didn't think it would hurt, your a big boy.

This is America you have the right to feign outrage anytime you like.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:08 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
LOL...please. What proof do you have that these men are devout?

I mean, you really believe that they heard a voice telling them to keep Boehner?

You can't seriously tell me that i can't scrutinize how political leaders come to decisions. The hell i can't! These guys are elected, and it's open season on these guys as to how they make votes and come to decisions.

If God is getting involved in U.S. politics, i have a right to know about it. Especially if he's the one making the call about who the Speaker will be. If you don't want the method of decision making to be scrutinized, then don't tell us about it. But if i find out, i have the right to call you a wacko if i feel like it.
They are devout because they prayed for guidance. That would be a sign of devotion.

What I believe is completely irrelevant.

None of us is a computer. We arrive at our decisions through logic and feelings and instincts and intangibles that make sense to each of us, but not to others. The people we elect are just as human as each of us. And how they arrive at decisions is ultimately very human.

Sure, you can scrutinize your political leaders, and you're free to make fun of them, too.

I simply choose to respect others' religious beliefs, because I want others to respect me and my beliefs. I think that's rational.

There's a chance for bad weather again in Oklahoma today. If someone says they had a hunch that they needed to take shelter from the storm, and another person says they prayed to God for guidance, and that they felt like God wanted them to take shelter, what's the difference between the two? People arrive at their decisions for reasons that most of us don't get. That doesn't mean that we should make fun of them. We'd be making fun of EVERYONE if that were the case.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Church and State.

What happened to the seperation of therof. The objectives they seek within their faith and the political agenda they forge while serving the United States of America should be independent.
Utter nonsense.

And, honey, I'm a BIG proponent for separation of church and state.

When you can prove that having John Boehner as Speaker of the House is an "objective of faith", then we can talk.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Nonsense. The Founders never meant for our political leaders to make decisions based on 'divine' voices in their heads.
Nonsense. The Founders never meant to dictate to our political leaders how to make decisions.

And once again, the characterization of "voices in their heads" is simply an attempt to demean and marginalize. People do pray and feel that God has responded, without ever having a schizophrenic episode. While you may not believe in God, may have never felt a connection to God, may think this is all utter nonsense, the fact is you cannot prove that God doesn't exist, nor can you prove that these people don't have a connection to God. You cannot prove negatives. And they cannot prove to you that God exists, or that they have a connection to God. But the majority of the people in the world do believe in some form of God, and the possibility of communicating with that God. And the fact that the majority of the people in the world have these beliefs demands respect. You don't have to believe. And your non-belief should be respected. And their belief should be respected. Because it's an integral part of who we are as individuals, and how we relate to the world. Our beliefs are the framework through which we view the world.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:36 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
To tie in God on the political direction of the U S IMO is blasphemy, seriously look at our leaders and the condition of our country. Would there be some great change if God would have told them to boot the Boner? No, of course not some other {R} would have took his place and might have leaned more right. Do you really think God gives a rats a$$ about {R} leadership? Do you think God even cares about politics? When Jesus was on earth did he care about politics? Nope.

Those leaders are just superstitious Christians and I have no idea who's voice they were listening too or if they heard one at all?

Last edited by Swingblade; 06-04-2013 at 11:44 AM..

Old 06-04-2013, 12:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
SMH....i don't know what the hell is going on in that party anymore. When i read stuff like this, you just gotta wonder:

Uh, SEVERAL REPUBLICANS had this same revelation?

That's pretty frightening. Imagine these guys voting on foreign policy issues or war. They're coming to conclusions based on prayers?

Anyway, full link: John Boehner Was Allowed To Remain House Speaker Because God Spoke To Republicans, They Claim
I know, you don't really believe this for one second. You might be to the left or many or us and basically not like much about the Republican party, but you are way to smart to believe this type of garbage!!!

Some of them may have prayed for guidance, religious people do that in case you didn't know, but I don't think anyone really heard voices.. If they did, wow, they must be doing something right. I pray for guidance a lot, I don't always get what I think I want and God only knows I haven't heard those voices yet.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:51 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I know, you don't really believe this for one second. You might be to the left or many or us and basically not like much about the Republican party, but you are way to smart to believe this type of garbage!!!

Some of them may have prayed for guidance, religious people do that in case you didn't know, but I don't think anyone really heard voices.. If they did, wow, they must be doing something right. I pray for guidance a lot, I don't always get what I think I want and God only knows I haven't heard those voices yet.

I'm with you, i pray and how i pray, and wish to hear the voices, but nah never have i heard a voice back, would be nice to hear God speaking back!

All i can think about is George Burns for some reason. Loved luv those series with george.

How i would like to get some of my questions answered? As George Burns who played God in those movies, such a humorous GOD, he was.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:28 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Smile God told the Republicans in Congress not to topple Boehner? Really now?

God only talks to Republicans these days.

Tells 'em important stuff like:

"Hate women, minorities, and the young."

"Favor the already wealthy over the masses of workers."

"How'd that black guy get into the White House? Get 'im outta there!"

The ol' boy been a mite moody lately.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies