Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 04:08 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
It matters to me. A lot of people are arrested wrongfully for one thing and the other is that we all know that the government wants every last piece of information on each individual giving them ultimate control. I see the necessity when they have DNA from the crime scene and a suspect in the crime but other than that, no!
I agree. You can be walking down a street, Fit a description and then get mis-identified by a crime victim. Here in New York where there is a dense population people get taken in by mistake or for the wrong reasons frequently. There is an "Operation Lucky bag" even where the P.D. leaves things like wallets and cell phones in public places and then anyone who picks it up gets taken in. It has caused controversy and a few tourists to our city even got snagged. And these were mostly people with no previous record. Some on their way to work who pay taxes to help fund this whole thing even.

The Government and large corporations want to know everything about you. And they have a lot already, Believe me. Your past, your present, what you read, watch and even buy to eat. This is not paranoia or tin foil hat stuff. Privacy is becoming a rare commodity. Project Echelon and this new proposal are proof enough.

Last edited by D. Scott; 06-05-2013 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Grammar correction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 04:47 AM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I guess being retired military and working in the defense industry for another 20+ years has provided me with a different view.

Believe me if the government wants to get information on you it will, whether it has your DNA or not and as I stated before, the current administration is a perfect example of taking away your constitutional rights. An example of the change occurring (without your DNA) is the Supreme Courts decision on eminent domain. They can take your property in order to get more taxes...and you're worried about DNA?
Like I said, they can get any information on you they choose now...

Excite News - Report: Gov't scooping up Verizon phone records

Old 06-06-2013, 08:18 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter where it is STRAIGHT out of, that is how I feel.
Have you ever read the 4th? You should. LINK

Old 06-06-2013, 01:52 PM

398 posts, read 698,383 times
Since folks are arrested all the time for protesting, yes non-violent protesting, I wouldn't be too worried about it long-term. The number of arrested would grow to be the entire country's worth of people and the small numbers actually in govt would not be able to handle all the information. It may work now as a scare tactic but luckily tptb are not quite as with it as you'd expect by reading something like 1984.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:36 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
I think on one hand it's good that there's a greater pool of identifying DNA to compare to a suspect, but on the other hand, it makes me really uneasy. Though I've never been arrested, even I know that DNA like that in the wrong hands could be catastrophic. And considering how many police departments have been in trouble for false confessions and forced confessions, I wouldn't put framing past them to solve a case.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:37 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novila View Post
Since folks are arrested all the time for protesting, yes non-violent protesting, I wouldn't be too worried about it long-term. The number of arrested would grow to be the entire country's worth of people and the small numbers actually in govt would not be able to handle all the information. It may work now as a scare tactic but luckily tptb are not quite as with it as you'd expect by reading something like 1984.
I don't know, they aren't individually physically reviewing these data points. meta data, agents, bots, etc seem to work pretty well

Old 06-06-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
they aren't individually physically reviewing these data points.
meta data, agents, bots, etc seem to work pretty well
It's not about the mechanics or practical aid to investigation that it could be.
It's about the principle of unreasonable search.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:50 AM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Have you ever read the 4th? You should. LINK

Have you ever worked in the counter intelligence field? No warrant was issued for getting phone records as an example. Just because YOU don't know about it, doesn't mean information isn't being gathered .

Old 06-07-2013, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Just because YOU don't know about it, doesn't mean information isn't being gathered .
And your point is... what?

Old 06-07-2013, 07:27 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
Its no different than being fingerprinted. All they're trying to do is identify who this person is for certain. If they haven't done anything wrong, they have nothing to worry about. In fact, DNA could also set you free, as it has in some cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies