Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Liberals have declared a war on children.
The best transplant surgeon in the world cannot jam adult sized organs in a growth stunted (from illness) sized 10 year old. It simply will not work. That girl will die and so won't someone else who could have lived had they rightly received those organs.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:45 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
No there should be no special consideration for a certain person but there shouldn't be an age on the recipient. If they're in need and at the top of the list and the organ will work for that patient, they should get the organ.
Sounds like that's what happens. Age is apparently an important factor in whether or not an organ can reasonably be expected to work, regardless of the faux outrage and fake caring expressed by hyper-partisans desperate to exploit a dying kid.

Why should a bureaucrat with no medical background be ignoring and overriding rules and acting as a one person death panel, deciding who gets organs and who doesn't? Isn't that exactly what the right has been fear-mongering about for years? Why do you suddenly support it?

Last edited by i7pXFLbhE3gq; 06-05-2013 at 09:55 AM..

Old 06-05-2013, 09:45 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

It's the kid's mother who is exploiting the kid. She's the one getting her face all over TV wanting sympathy, or a reality show, or something.

Blame the mother.
I doubt that it's the mother who is posting all the anti-Obama "It's Obama's death panel!!!!!", "Katheleen Sebelius is killing this little girl!!!!!!" posts on City-Data.

That is, unless she has somehow decided to use the identities of some of the usual C-D Obama haters as sock puppets.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:46 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I found her explanation extremely satisfactory. I agree with Sebelius that policies about organ transplantation should be made a panel of medical experts in the transplant field, not a singular government bureaucrat with a background in insurance administration and no medical training.
Actually, if Sebelius started meddling in who does and who doesn't get at the small supply of of organs for transplants, she would be instituting herself as a one-person death panel. And can you imagine the porcine shrieks from the Perpetually Offended?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
As others have said, this has nothing to do with Obamacare at this moment. Her doctors feel an adult lung could be modified to work well for her and could work well for other kids. Since kids will have the longest potential lifespan, they should be highest on the list compared to others IMO.

As an aside, read the other day that Lou Reed got an organ transplant...,70 something year old with long documented drug/alcohol issues. Was that a wise choice for the use of an organ? Was Larry Hagman's liver transplant?

The system needs to be changed.
I have often wondered how Dick Cheney got a heart transplant at his old age.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Where did people ever get the idea that the government has the obligation to pay for all the medical care I need? I guess this is the natural result when people are told, "health care is a right." You tell them that often enough, then don't be surprised when they believe it and demand it.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:49 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
You assume merely providing more hearts will solve the problem.
There are additional factors of cost that would come into play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
It will go a hell of a long way.
Again, other costs are involved and that will matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
At the expense of another person? How so? They're not using it any more.
So, you are hoping that someone will die so that another can live? I think this is were that was going. Plus, what a person has done with their body should be up to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
When it is time for people to go to their heavenly reward, it is time.
I will never understand people who choose to selfishly keep their loved ones bound to a miserable earthly existence when they should have moved on.
I agree with this to a point. Life support can really get out of hand and should be called death support. I'm talking about all the things they do to run up a bill when there is no chance and the brain appears gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Because there are not enough organs of any kind available for transplant, and because not all transplants will be successful, it is inevitable that tragic deaths will continue to be common. Regardless of what system of allocation is developed, the people who don't get organs will suffer and die and people will be able to point out that under some other imaginable system their particular loved one would have had a chance at a longer life. While I sympathize with their losses, the impact on any given individual is not a valid argument against the concept of having an allocation system, or even against the allocation system that has been selected.

Everyone is free to argue that a different allocation system would be a better way to serve the greatest number of people. Special pleading in support of a particular potential recipient iw not a valid reason to change the system.
I am in total agreement with this.

I have an adult son with Down syndrome who has a very minor heart issue that has never required any treatment but I now understand that as he ages it may be a problem. The doctor on the last visit asked if I had a document that directs what level of intervention I would want to be available. He asked in front of my son. I told him I had no such document in place. I did see one that basically said that because an adult child had disabilities, emergency personnel were not to do anything "heroic", whatever that met. This is troubling to me. Whenever people start judging who is more "valuable" than someone else, it is troubling to me.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
As others have said, this has nothing to do with Obamacare at this moment. Her doctors feel an adult lung could be modified to work well for her and could work well for other kids. Since kids will have the longest potential lifespan, they should be highest on the list compared to others IMO.

As an aside, read the other day that Lou Reed got an organ transplant...,70 something year old with long documented drug/alcohol issues. Was that a wise choice for the use of an organ? Was Larry Hagman's liver transplant?

The system needs to be changed.
Do you have a source about this statement above in bold. By source I mean from the doctor not Fox News making a supposition.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:52 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Not a death panel, and your premise, as usual, is bogus. Sebelius is not in charge of the transplant network.

Can we stop the nonsense now, or is it too much to ask?
"Sebelius is not in charge of the transplant network.

Can we stop the nonsense now, or is it too much to ask?"

Speaking of nonsense!

Transplant Centers are REQUIRED to follow FEDERAL REGULATIONS.

The last I looked Sebelius is in charge of Health and Human Services. THAT is why she was asked about this situation the other day at a Congressional Hearing.

A Congressman said she had the AUTHORITY to grant a waiver with the stroke of a pen. She REFUSED to grant the waiver.

Some people spout off about things when they have NO CLUE as to the facts.

"Department of Health and Human
Services
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
42 CFR Parts 405, 482, 488, and 498
Medicare Program; Hospital Conditions of
Participation: Requirements for Approval
and Re-Approval of Transplant Centers
To Perform Organ Transplants"
http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provider...plantfinal.pdf

Old 06-05-2013, 09:53 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
What do you think is going to happen when the IRS takes over Obamacare? Get use to a politician being between you and your doctor.
Ironically, some are trying to put the government in the way of transplant guidelines. I honestly think that the reasoning and statements made in this matter truly reflect poorly on the people making them. I have absolutely no idea whether the current transplant guidelines are good or bad.

Quote:
“The allocation system is designed to be impervious to a single person’s case,” said Dr. Stuart Sweet, director of the pediatric lung transplant program at Washington University in St. Louis, who helped write the lung transplant guidelines used by the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network, OPTN.

But in this case, to use this as a spectacle in the media to lash out against Obamacare is something that really lessens the tone and the argument. It's an example of why political discourse truly sucks now, and why Congress is filled with the crud it's filled with.

Do you honestly think that this type of thread and argument makes people listen to you? It's one of the primary reasons we lost the last election, although I know many don't believe it. No matter how incredibly correct you may be, the minute you come stampeding into a room with these type of comments, people turn angry and shut their hearing off.

These issues have shown how partisan people have become, and how utterly destructive they can be to a group. People have strong opinions on both sides, no doubt about it. But when you mix lies, innuendo and even hatred and anger into your arguments, you ruin all chances of solving problems and offering solutions.

There are generations of Republicans from the Reagan years on that continue to sadly shake their head in amazement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies