Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Actually, it IS a death panel. One person, who could intervene, but chooses not to. Hence, death for the child.

Just wait......ObamaCare's panel of non-doctor/bureaucrats will make regulations and rules that could be overruled, but won't be. Based on arbitrary and political criteria.

You ask why she is special? Ask her parents. Her family. I can guarantee that if this was one of the Obama girls needing a lung, the rule would change lickety split.
I want to know what child died because Cheney, who was over 70, got the heart instead!

Quote:
Cheney's case reopens debate about whether rules should be changed to favor youth over age in giving out scarce organs. As it stands now, time on the waiting list, medical need and where you live determine the odds of scoring a new heart - not how many years you'll live to make use of it.

"The ethical issues are not that he had a transplant, but who didn't?" Dr. Eric Topol, a cardiologist at Scripps Health in La Jolla, Calif., wrote on Twitter.
Dick Cheney's heart transplant at 71 spurs age debate - HealthPop - CBS News

Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
It sounds to me this girl got bumped because of her age.. The others were on the list probably got their organs .This girl probably wasn't on the list at all and needs someone to help her.. If 100 people got organs and she needed it way before the 100 they just left this little girl out in the cold and never considered her at all because of her age.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:46 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Actually, it IS a death panel. One person, who could intervene, but chooses not to. Hence, death for the child.

Just wait......ObamaCare's panel of non-doctor/bureaucrats will make regulations and rules that could be overruled, but won't be. Based on arbitrary and political criteria.

You ask why she is special? Ask her parents. Her family. I can guarantee that if this was one of the Obama girls needing a lung, the rule would change lickety split.
Every parent thinks their child is special. Why should this child be put above someone elses child?

What if the lung was going to this child, and some politician decided it should go to someone else?
What if it were YOUR child that it was being taken from to give to someone else?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Every parent thinks their child is special. Why should this child be put above someone elses child?

What if the lung was going to this child, and some politician decided it should go to someone else?
What if it were YOUR child that it was being taken from to give to someone else?
The girl was probably bypassed for an organ because of her age.. she probably has been waiting much longer than the others.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I "suddenly" support something? You know me?

Regardless of ideology, I feel the way I feel. I'll explain my politics to you. I am pro choice and don't care who marries who. I vote with my pocket and more often that means an R in national elections. Locally, I'm all about the person and then I concentrate on social issues at the local level only. I'm more of a moderate than anything. Social issues have no place in national politics.

In this instance, this girl, from what I understand would be at the top of the list to receive lungs if not for her chronological age. The doctors have said that she could receive adult lungs. They would work. In this case, she would be the recipient for the lungs if not for her age.

In any case, you will not be the recipient of an organ if it is not a "match" for you. Meaning size, blood type, tissue, etc. If all factors match up, you get the organ. Their shouldn't be an age factor. If the criteria match, the highest in need on the list should get it. I don't care who the recipient is.
They're saying the only reason the child won't get an organ is because of age and that's wrong if there's a match that works. Not politics, just common sense.

Would you please reference the doctors who said that this girl would have a good prognosis after putting adult sized organs into her small sized body? Please reference the transplant surgeon, not a "medical contributor" on Fox News.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Would you please reference the doctors who said that this girl would have a good prognosis after putting adult sized organs into her small sized body? Please reference the transplant surgeon, not a "medical contributor" on Fox News.
Who is to say it wouldn't work. Are you God?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Question, not that I'm an expert, but why can't one of the parents donate a lung?

Mother Pleads for Direct Organ Donation to Save Daughter - Marple Newtown, PA Patch

Far down near the bottom of the article:

Quote:
Many people have contacted Patch regarding the possibility of a living donor lung transplant but, according to the Murnaghan family, that is not possible for Sarah at the present time because no major hospitals have proper license to perform living donor adult to child transplants.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
It sounds to me this girl got bumped because of her age.. The others were on the list probably got their organs .This girl probably wasn't on the list at all and needs someone to help her.. If 100 people got organs and she needed it way before the 100 they just left this little girl out in the cold and never considered her at all because of her age.
No. This girl is on top of the pediatric organ donor list and has not been bumped. Her parents want to bump someone on the adult organ donor list. The problem is this girl is too small for adult sized organs. When organs that are too large have been transplanted into a smaller body, there is not a good outcome. The patient usually ends up dying as a result.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:54 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The girl was probably bypassed for an organ because of her age.. she probably has been waiting much longer than the others.
Maybe you should educate yourself about the protocol for organ transplants. The protocol that has been in place since before Obama got into office. Children under 12 are not considered for adult lungs. Due to the size of the organ, and the body cavity size, there is a significantly reduced success rate for these transplants.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:54 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.