Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:43 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,248,131 times

Advertisements

..in a divorce just for being there? If your husband/wife spent the entire marriage mooching off of you (no steady income, never had kids to raise, didn't do much around the house,etc), do they deserve anything? I say hell no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 08:47 PM

39,277 posts, read 27,671,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
..in a divorce just for being there? If your husband/wife spent the entire marriage mooching off of you (no steady income, never had kids to raise, didn't do much around the house,etc), do they deserve anything? I say hell no.
No, they don't deserve half.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,093,157 times
Quote:
According to who?

Most who ask for half don't see themselves in this light. Most who are "losing" half think they are getting taken to the cleaners by a lazy, good-for-nothing. It would be nice to hear from an impartial party on what the real circumstances are.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
No, they don't deserve half.
Do they deserve anything at all?

Old 06-04-2013, 08:52 PM

39,277 posts, read 27,671,721 times
Quote:
Do they deserve anything at all?
Depends on the situation.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,024,053 times
Quote:
When you shape it like this, it seems you are trying to draw people to a pre-determined conclusion. There is no one right answer to this. I've heard/read about some divorce settlements that have left me scratching my head. A lot of guys get shafted in divorce settlements. And a lot of women do as well. It's better to try to have a healthy marriage and try to avoid divorce to begin with!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
According to who?

Most who ask for half don't see themselves in this light. Most who are "losing" half think they are getting taken to the cleaners by a lazy, good-for-nothing. It would be nice to hear from an impartial party on what the real circumstances are.
I agree. Unfortunately "impartial" applies to neither spouse. So who gets the final say?

Old 06-04-2013, 08:56 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,097,798 times
Hell no they don't..but..tell a judge that and see where it gets you.

If your spouse was 50/50 in the marriage as far as income or if she raised your kids as a sahm,then that's different..if it was like my first marriage with no kids involved and just her hanging out,then no way...didn't quite work like that for me though

Old 06-04-2013, 08:56 PM

102,246 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter what the spouse or we think they deserve. It's what the law allows. If a guy moves into a woman's house, and she's making the house payments, and they divorce, he can get 50% of what she's put into it. If her parents give the couple the downpayment for the house, he gets 50% of that if they divorce. "Deserving" has nothing to do with it.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
It's better to try to have a healthy marriage and try to avoid divorce to begin with!
Well sure. It would have been better not to have married a filthy layabout, but clearly you didn't know that at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies