Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 01:18 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Employment rules are very different in the United States than from your country so why is this important to you what happens in the United States? It is not something that affects you directly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 01:19 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
all of my jobs have been at-will

so i could quit anytime i want.

and my job could let me go anytime they wanted, for any reason.

I don't see what the problem is. I personally like at-will employment. The fake accusations of discrimination can be handled quickly.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:33 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
hardly the same thing, as most people want to keep their jobs.
Hardly the truth. People want the flexibility to quit.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:47 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Employment rules are very different in the United States than from your country so why is this important to you what happens in the United States? It is not something that affects you directly.
It's no different really.

The UK Conservatives are well on their way to implementing this fascist little clause, if they've not done so already.

It's basically just legalising discrimination, what's so great about that, and why do you even try to defend it?

Old 06-05-2013, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
all of my jobs have been at-will

so i could quit anytime i want.

and my job could let me go anytime they wanted, for any reason.

I don't see what the problem is. I personally like at-will employment. The fake accusations of discrimination can be handled quickly.
so what happens if your boss fires you for not going out to dinner with him, would you be so happy then?

Old 06-05-2013, 04:32 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Terminate at will and its other names abroad, is just a loophole to discriminate.

eg: don't like those of dark skin? - terminate at will , Racism
don't like gays? - terminate at will, Homophobia
don't like the secretary turning you down? - terminate at will - Sexism, Harassment
don't like someone's views? - terminate at will - Political persecution

The list could go on, and this is obiously just a corrupt shakedown and abrogation of workers' rights.

So why put up with this lie?
If a business takes no government support and is privately owned they are not subject to federal laws and can hire or fire whoever they wish . The publican decide if they want to buy the companies product

Old 06-05-2013, 04:46 AM

so are you saying that there are companies that are allowed to be racist, sexist,

homophobic etc.. right out in the open?

I am sure that is not the case.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:37 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Terminate at will and its other names abroad, is just a loophole to discriminate.

don't like the secretary turning you down? - terminate at will - Sexism, Harassment

The list could go on, and this is obiously just a corrupt shakedown and abrogation of workers' rights.

Quote:
and how about firing someone for asking for a raise, that must also go against the modern day business model?

yet, the crookedness continues
Quote:
it means an employer can fire you whenever, for no reason whatsoever.

It is usually used on lower skilled employees that do not have a contract.

so effectively, a boss could fire his secretary for not going out to dinner with him, or if he just didn't like the look of someone - no reason necessary.

its fascism light if you ask me
Quote:
not there right now, I'm in Eastern Europe for the time being.

but anyway, surely this affects you too, because you could be fired for being a Christian if your employer did not like that religion.

how would you feel about that?
in the US, anyway, there are things known as labor laws. you cant fire someone just because, even in right to work states. there has to be cause to fire someone, and those causes are laid out in the employee handbook that every employer i have ever had provided me at the time of my filling out the new hire paperwork. if an employer fires someone "just because", they open themselves to a wrongful termination lawsuit that will cost the employer a lot of money to defend, even if they win.

the only way an employee can be terminated without cause in the US is during their probationary period, again laid out in the employee handbook, or when the employee signs a contract that allows for no cause termination, and anyone that signs such a contract is either an idiot, or is planning on working for a short period fo time anyway, seasonal work contracts for instance.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:54 AM

1,137 posts, read 972,037 times
Quote:

Given the amount of whining you do about perceived discrimination, its no surprise you don't have a job.

Man up, Nancy .

Business owners retain the right to hire/fire whoever they want for whatever reason they want They can make laws forbidding discrimination in the workplace until they are blue in the face, but there are always ways around such ridiculous and unconstitutional laws. There isn't a damn thing you can do about it either

Old 06-05-2013, 08:55 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Employers are under no obligation to provide you with a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies