Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 01:15 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The tolerance and acceptance of gays and lesbians has been stretched thin. It is one thing to want equality. It is another thing to seek a dominant position in society. People are at the point of entering into an attitude of resentment regarding gay and lesbian rights. They have equal protection under the law. They are even allowed to marry if the wish. What more do they want? Respect is the mutual transfer of power. It is a two way street. I can't help but think that there are supporters of the gay revolution and gay and lesbian activists who do not respect straight society BUT expect that straight society should respect them no matter what.

Firstly to heckle the First Lady who is a straight woman in a very important position is a mistake- to show contempt for First Lady - who is the President's wife and mother of his children clearly shows that this heckler has no respect for anyone who is not like them. There is great prejudice in some gay rights advocates. They do not seem happy with acceptance...they seem to want to dominate. The mindless emotion of hate is not exclusive to straight society.

Like most "alternate" groups, they don't want equal rights, they want special rights. There is a difference. Right up there with no prayer in school (in other words, 2 % dictate what the other 98% will like and/or tolerate), no religious symbolism to the point where we are supposed to shoot Santa, the Easter Bunny, and X-mas altogether. I'll give up the Bunny and Santa if you agree to quit wearing "comfortable" shoes and playing Melissa Ehteridge and K.D. Lang with the windows open, while wearing guys gym clothes......fair enough?

As far as the First Lady being heckled, heck, every Republican speaker gets that all the time. I'm surprised it rattled her at all. She should have just ignored it. Despite my right side leanings, there is no need to heckle any public official. Even those you don't care for.

You can debate your point in a more dignified manner. Barbara and Carol can certainly understand that....

Old 06-05-2013, 01:16 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Do you have a copy of that list of rights that gays do not have in the U.S.? I am serious because I keep hearing about all the rights that married people have and I have been married for over 30 years and ALL of these rights seem to escape me. A list of rights being withheld would probably be useful for everyone to see.
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d04353r.pdf

Those are the federal benefits and protections that go with marriage. There are additional state benefits and protections that vary by state.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:20 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Like most "alternate" groups, they don't want equal rights, they want special rights. There is a difference. Right up there with no prayer in school (in other words, 2 % dictate what the other 98% will like and/or tolerate), no religious symbolism to the point where we are supposed to shoot Santa, the Easter Bunny, and X-mas altogether. I'll give up the Bunny and Santa if you agree to quit wearing "comfortable" shoes and playing Melissa Ehteridge and K.D. Lang with the windows open, while wearing guys gym clothes......fair enough?

As far as the First Lady being heckled, heck, every Republican speaker gets that all the time. I'm surprised it rattled her at all. She should have just ignored it. Despite my right side leanings, there is no need to heckle any public official. Even those you don't care for.

You can debate your point in a more dignified manner. Barbara and Carol can certainly understand that....
Exactly what "special rights" am I trying to get? Maybe you have a list, because I can't seem to find one.

Also, I never wear "comfortable shoes" unless you count my boots, for working on the farm, or my sneakers for running. I prefer heels. And I never have the windows open in my car. Too hot in Mississippi, I run the AC.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:21 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't really care who you want to marry. That is up to you, but same sex marriage isn't discrimination, it anything it would be the opposite.. The wedding ceremony, whether religious or civil says one man, one woman. it doesn't say 2 women or 2 men...

My thoughts, the SS laws need to be modified. When someone pays into the system their entire life, they should be able to do what they want with their benefits and give them to whomever they want. If that is a sister, a partner or a best friend, it is their money. If this was the case, I think the entire issue of same sex marriage would go away.

Natnasci: you are wrong, there is not a long list of rights gays do not have really isn't a long one: mainly it is the rights to a few benefits (very few) some states have stricter guidelines, but nationally the list isn't at all long.

Now, I am wondering how this thread went from the heckler that upset Michelle to gay rights in America versus other countries?
Your theory that the list is not long has been blown out of the water.

Follow the thread and you can see quite easily how it unfolded. Heckler heckling about gay rights. Posters commenting that in some magical way this heckler represented ALL gay people in actions and thought. Other posters having to explain that she did not. Absurd comments about gay rights, mainly marriage, being challenge because of the REALITY of gay marriage in other countries. Simple really.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:25 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post

You mean the special rights that every other citizen of the U.S. has? Those rights?

LOL. The special rights argument is so so unsound and well, childlike in it's logic...wait there is no logic.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes. Now bear in mind this is just the list that FEDERAL marriage laws give couples. Just because some states grant equal marriage does not mean that gay couples get the FEDERAL rights as well.

Besides the rights of marriage, some states offer no protection in housing or employment. You can be fired, just for being gay.

An Overview of Federal Rights and Protections Granted to Married Couples | Resources | Human Rights Campaign
Is there a date on this list? I ask because reading it very quickly, other than the tax breaks and the SS benefits which I have addressed, much of this is either old or not practiced. Most major companies now offer insurance to couples regardless as to whether they are gay or straight. In fact many have for years.

As for housing and employment I do not know of a state that discriminates based on sexual orientation. I am sure there are some, but most do not. In fact the law says you can't not discriminate based on sex which would include sexual orientation.

So I really think you are over exaggerating what is the case in our country.

Nita

Old 06-05-2013, 01:35 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,334 times
well, then the official list should answer your question:

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d04353r.pdf

And don't confuse what private companies extend out to couples that are not governed by any law. An insurance company can extend their coverage to same sex couples or they don't have to.

and SS benefits? sorry, but they don't extend to the partner.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:37 PM

679 posts, read 614,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Is there a date on this list? I ask because reading it very quickly, other than the tax breaks and the SS benefits which I have addressed, much of this is either old or not practiced. Most major companies now offer insurance to couples regardless as to whether they are gay or straight. In fact many have for years.

As for housing and employment I do not know of a state that discriminates based on sexual orientation. I am sure there are some, but most do not. In fact the law says you can't not discriminate based on sex which would include sexual orientation.

So I really think you are over exaggerating what is the case in our country.

Nita
Actually not being able to discriminate based on sex means based on gender, it has nothing to do with sexual orientation

Old 06-05-2013, 01:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Your theory that the list is not long has been blown out of the water.

Follow the thread and you can see quite easily how it unfolded. Heckler heckling about gay rights. Posters commenting that in some magical way this heckler represented ALL gay people in actions and thought. Other posters having to explain that she did not. Absurd comments about gay rights, mainly marriage, being challenge because of the REALITY of gay marriage in other countries. Simple really.
I have not read the entire thread, but I did just read the blog your referred someone else to and have responded. The blog, may I also add was very biased with an agenda that anyone would recognize plus some of the federal rights were broken down to make it sound much worse than it is. Obviously, for instance, if SS benefits do not cover same sex partners, that is one issue, not 3 or 4 sub issues. Regardless, I am not anti gay rights, I just think everything should be kept in prescriptive. and comparing America with as you put it "wonderful" Canada, appears to be slapping us in the face. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but it certainly seemed you were letting us know, how superior Canada was. That isn't the way to make friends and influence anyone.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:43 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
So much for free speech, she should have just thrown a shoe at her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies