Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 01:44 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Is there a date on this list? I ask because reading it very quickly, other than the tax breaks and the SS benefits which I have addressed, much of this is either old or not practiced. Most major companies now offer insurance to couples regardless as to whether they are gay or straight. In fact many have for years.

As for housing and employment I do not know of a state that discriminates based on sexual orientation. I am sure there are some, but most do not. In fact the law says you can't not discriminate based on sex which would include sexual orientation.

So I really think you are over exaggerating what is the case in our country.

Nita
As for states that do not allow discrimination based on sexual orientation,
PolitiFact Oregon | Do most states allow employers to discriminate against gays and lesbians?

Quote:
PolitiFact Oregon was confused. Wasn’t such employer behavior already prohibited under federal civil rights law? Isn’t it the same as how employers aren’t allowed to hire, promote, pay or fire based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin?

Apparently not. Jamal Raad, Merkley’s spokesman, pointed us to a map by the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force that shows Oregon as one of 16 states and Washington, D.C., that prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation or the expression of gender identification. Five additional states prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, but not on expression. So Merkley is correct about the figures.

Raad also clued us into other reports and studies to back up the statement.

The Center for American Progress has a state-by-state report that goes even further, identifying 10 additional states with policies prohibiting such behavior in state government or in a part of state government. Those are generally done by executive policy. These policies do not carry the weight of law and do not extend beyond public employees. The federal government also prohibits discrimination against gays and lesbians, as do many Fortune 500 companies.
http://www.thetaskforce.org/download...1_12_color.pdf
The map as of January 2012.

Sex, and sexual orientation is not the same thing. I am a female (sex) and a lesbian (sexual orientation).

And I see that the GAO link has already been provided for you.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:45 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
What's the difference between asking a question and heckling?
Why couldn't the bimbo just answer the question?

Old 06-05-2013, 01:50 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet

Like most "alternate" groups, they don't want
equal rights, they want special rights.
Which special rights would those be?
Give me a "special" right they want that isn't available to heteros.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:53 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
What's the difference between asking a question and heckling?
In the former, the guest waits for the prompt, "Are there any questions?" In the latter, the guest doesn't wait for an invitation to ask questions.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:57 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Which special rights would those be?
Give me a "special" right they want that isn't available to heteros.
You're going to be waiting forever for an answer. You won't get one. They will never answer that question because they know what they said was BS. I have never EVER seen someone answer that question. Because they can't. They're talking out of their butt.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:04 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have not read the entire thread, but I did just read the blog your referred someone else to and have responded. The blog, may I also add was very biased with an agenda that anyone would recognize plus some of the federal rights were broken down to make it sound much worse than it is. Obviously, for instance, if SS benefits do not cover same sex partners, that is one issue, not 3 or 4 sub issues. Regardless, I am not anti gay rights, I just think everything should be kept in prescriptive. and comparing America with as you put it "wonderful" Canada, appears to be slapping us in the face. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but it certainly seemed you were letting us know, how superior Canada was. That isn't the way to make friends and influence anyone.
No my intent was not to suggest that Canada was superior or not...just in the difference of gay rights where it is superior, if by superior you mean better, better protection.
There is no place in Canada, meaning all the provinces and territories, that does not protect gay people in all aspects of their lives. In employment, marriage, housing etc. The U.S. is a patchwork of gay rights.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:10 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Sounds like the First Lady might just be an old fashioned conservative. Some say she "lost it" - and that it is an embarrassment to the White House. I don't believe that is the case...sometimes enough is enough...YES they have to pander to all special interest groups..but there are limits. These activists are like children who are given a bag of candy and then demand a sack. Be thankful for what you have - and if you are not thankful you get no more.

Mental illness resides in all segments of society..Gays and lesbians are not immune to being slightly nuts. Extremists have always been a problem. Whether they are right or left wing...it does not matter....One video I watch showed the First Lady at a dinner rolling her eyes like a school girl at some chump sitting beside her..at first I thought it was childish on her part...but now I am starting to wonder if some people need to be insulted....If you are gay or lesbian you must show good manners and respect..being "different" does not give you the right to behave differently than the norm...There is decorum to be considered.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:13 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
You're going to be waiting forever for an answer. You won't get one. They will never answer that question because they know what they said was BS. I have never EVER seen someone answer that question. Because they can't. They're talking out of their butt.
I know. I guess they don't mind sounding like the southern end of a north-bound equine, as long as they weigh in.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:31 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Sounds like the First Lady might just be an old fashioned conservative.
The hosts of the event were mortified by the heckler's conduct - does that make them "old fashioned conservatives" too?

Old 06-05-2013, 03:10 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
People now officially have same sex marriage...What more could they possibly want? It's time for gays and lesbians to shut up and blend into mainstream society. People are tired of gay and lesbian demands...It's over- YOU have your rights and protection under the law...so shut up and get on with your lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies