Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you put money in a tip jar at non-resturaunt establishments?
YES 13 26.00%
NO 37 74.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:11 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Just out of curiosity, in what decade was 10% considered a good tip?

20% is the standard for good service, if you cannot afford it, eat at home.

BS!

if you cannot afford to pay your staff decent wages then you should close down

it's not up to the customer!

so retarded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 09:11 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Why should I have to pay their wages?

That is the owner's job.

And why should I tip only to NOT get attitude.

It's a medieval shake down for chumps.
In all of your other threads you are 100% supportive of helping people who don't make a lot of money, but when it comes to giving up your own money you are against it?

Isn't that more than a little hypocritical?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
It's ridiculous. If you want to give your money away, go for it, but don't even try to make me feel bad for not stuffing all of my extra dollar bills in the stupid tip jar. The employees don't even notice that crap.

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
And when I mean non-resturaunt I mean, deli's, pizza places, etc. I think you get the idea.
What is with all the tip jars today? I was in Dunkin Donuts to get coffee yesterday and saw a tip jar. Went to Primo's for a sandwich and saw one. Needless to say I did not tip. Why do I need to tip you to do your job?
You don't need to. But maybe some people want to. If they want to, there's the jar. It's really pretty simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
I don't understand why tipping is such a big political controversey. Why?
Because it's a right wing, money grabbing, power scam - a scam to keep their workers as grovelling servants.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
In all of your other threads you are 100% supportive of helping people who don't make a lot of money, but when it comes to giving up your own money you are against it?

Isn't that more than a little hypocritical?
I campaign to increase wages, not crumbs thrown down to the dogs by their masters.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:20 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,483 times
I tip when someone brings me food or drink to the table that is followed by a bill (sit-down restaurants).

I do not tip when I pay at the counter and also pick up my food/drink there (Starbucks, etc.).

I do not tip when I pick up a to-go-order unless the food is brought to my car and I pay the person who brought it.

In other words, I tip when I receive service that goes beyond simply taking my money and handing me food at the register.

I am also quite appalled by tip inflation. Years ago, 10% was standard, now it's 20%. For years, I was part of the tip inflation, never tipping less than 20% - and that's when a good tip was 10%. It's no skin off my back and a few bucks mean absolutely nothing to me. These days, I see quite a few people who tip in excess of 20%. I readily admit it: I am apparently now cheap but I still happily tip my server - however, my tip should not equal a quarter of my food cost. It makes me not want to eat out.

I suppose it has to do with age and discerning value received for money spent. The tipped amount needs to be in relation to the service rendered. I now generally tip 15-17% unless the service is truly exceptional. If I receive horrible service, I will cut the tip - after all, that's the system we have in place: Reward good behavior...

I despise the social pressure that suggests you should tip 20% at all times. I despise the stupid argument that people shouldn't eat out unless they are willing to add 20% to their food cost. That is NOT the system we use. I must be old-fashioned - but p.issing away your money for nothing is NOT a value I embrace. Rewarding good service, on the other hand, is...

Last edited by Fuselage; 06-05-2013 at 09:30 AM..

Old 06-05-2013, 09:31 AM

what is so wrong about just increasing wages - this is called commonsense

Old 06-05-2013, 09:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I tip at the car wash if they do a good job.
I would if my car wash ever did a good job. Every time, I have to send it back because they miss a lot. If we weren't on level 3 water restrictions, I'd wash my car myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
I am also quite appalled by tip inflation. Years ago, 10% was standard, now it's 20%. For years, I was part of the tip inflation, never tipping less than 20% - and that's when a good tip was 10%. It's no skin off my back and a few bucks mean absolutely nothing to me. These days, I see quite a few people who tip in excess of 20%. I readily admit it: I am apparently now cheap but I still happily tip my server - however, my tip should not equal a quarter of my food cost. It makes me not want to eat out.

I suppose it has to do with age and discerning value received for money spent. The tipped amount needs to be in relation to the service rendered. I now generally tip 15-17% unless the service is truly exceptional. If I receive horrible service, I will cut the tip - after all, that's the system we have in place: Reward good behavior...

I despise the social pressure that suggests you should tip 20% at all times. I despise the stupid argument that people shouldn't eat out unless they are willing to add 20% to their food cost. That is NOT the system we use. I must be old-fashioned - but p.issing away your money for nothing is NOT a value I embrace. Rewarding good service, on the other hand, is...
THIS. My standard tip is double the tax, which here is 8.25%. It also makes for easy calculations. If the service was exceptional, I tip 20%. Also easy to calculate. Service is rarely exceptional. I have stiffed a waiter for a tip only one time in my life, but that was exceptionally bad service. If the service is bad, I usually tip 10% or toss a buck on the table. That is rare. I rarely eat out but probably 95% of the time, I tip 16.5%-20%.

This automatic 20% crap needs to stop. Tip inflation is getting ridiculous. I realize waitstaff make crap wages but that's not my problem. If you want 20%, earn it.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:49 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
I campaign to increase wages, not crumbs thrown down to the dogs by their masters.
Paying someone for a service they provide you is suddenly 'crumbs thrown down'? Are you sure you aren't just so greedy that you don't want to pay someone your own money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies