Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:56 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
regardless - its not the HAhAHA sucks to be you. Its the "rub your nose in it" fact that if you don't learn skills to compete globally your job is very well at risk. Wal-mart, for a low wage worker, is 10x better than Amazon.

There is so much wal-mart hate out there, which i'm HA ha ha about. . .because its not wal-mart's fault they are low wage (its the worker).
WM has provided superb opportunity for hudreds of thousands of low skill set employees, and you are correct, Amazon will eliminate many of those jobs, but the wealthy subset of the libs will enjoy WM's declining profits without connecting the dots of the employees who were better off working for WM, than having an Amazon robot take their jobs. I'm a fan of both WM & Amazon and I love my time saved via Amazon. But I recognize the faces of the long-term WM employees I see who will be affected in a negative way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 12:05 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
So Amazon is looking into expansion into 20 states for groceries. They will use their own fleet of trucks. . .

I'm thinking where Amazon can win (and others failed) is that they will operatalizatize the entire operation without humans. I.e. no store foot print, no real stockers (very few), no cashiers, etc. Just robots, machines, and belts.. .moving Avocado's to the right place (a box to your door step).

So Amazon will save big on labor (versus grocery) . . .and pass those savings on. I..e I would be surprised if they weren't fairly competitive with some sort of subscribe and save model. . .

Its a dream. A dream come true for me. I mean seriously, I hate going to Super W for staples.

The downside. . . I suppose. . .is that even more increased pressure for the unworkable. I mean if your only job you can get is part-time at a grocery store. . this process (and its potential success) could be pretty scary.

I for one. . .would sign up in a heartbeat. I seriously. . .hate. . .wasting time at the grocery store. I would factor in my annual salary per hour and thats the value Amazon would save me. . .and I hear their prices are competitive in Seattle. . .so it will be a value steal for me

So if your working at a grocery store. . sorry . If wal-mart didn't kill you (and whole foods) Amazon will
That's funny because I read a week or so ago where amazon workers were striking in Germany for pay raises. Also I guess you think walmart has never heard of robots?

Old 06-06-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
That's funny because I read a week or so ago where amazon workers were striking in Germany for pay raises. Also I guess you think walmart has never heard of robots?
4,000 retail outlets do not allow for the % of manhours replaced by robots, especially with 140 million weekly shoppers in the way, as several dozen Amazon DCs allow-with NO customers in the way.

WM has tons of robots-their DCs use them of course, as well as automated conveyor systems, but the 4,000 stores rely largely on employees moving product around. They rely on cashiers, maintenance staff, etc. Amazon can take huge chunks of that business with just a fraction of the same headcount.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:13 AM

This is a wonderful thing too right? Folks scream and cry about walmart paying low wages now are on board with them paying no wages and getting run out of business by robots. Liberals have brain damage.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
This is a wonderful thing too right? Folks scream and cry about walmart paying low wages now are on board with them paying no wages and getting run out of business by robots. Liberals have brain damage.
I don't see that in this thread. The OP simply brought up the old law of unintended consequences, and the shift from retail direct to DC aptly demonstrates that principle.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:25 AM

Well that principal is horrible for the US. The same folks who complain about walmart days on end now want those folks who CHOOSE to work there to have no job. That makes no sense to me. Maybe it does to a liberal.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:08 PM

This goes beyond WM. Kroger is the nation's largest grocer, Amazon will no doubt harm them. The only safe supermarkets will be those like Publix who lead with a superb deli..something an online dorp cannot emulate.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:22 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
People need jobs, Wamart provides that. My complaint about Walmart is getting tax breaks while paying their employees low enough to get food stamps, then the food stamps get used at Walmart. We are paying for Walmart employees, not Walmart.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
People need jobs, Wamart provides that. My complaint about Walmart is getting tax breaks while paying their employees low enough to get food stamps, then the food stamps get used at Walmart. We are paying for Walmart employees, not Walmart.
No we're not paying for WM employees. If WM died, the employees would get other McJobs, get the same gov't freebies, and the cost to the taxpayer would stay the same. We're paying because these people have substandard skills and the market rate they can get reflects that.

Retail wages average less than WM's median wage. Retail insures 40% overall; WM insures 51%.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:10 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
So Amazon is looking into expansion into 20 states for groceries. They will use their own fleet of trucks. . .

I'm thinking where Amazon can win (and others failed) is that they will operatalizatize the entire operation without humans. I.e. no store foot print, no real stockers (very few), no cashiers, etc. Just robots, machines, and belts.. .moving Avocado's to the right place (a box to your door step).

So Amazon will save big on labor (versus grocery) . . .and pass those savings on. I..e I would be surprised if they weren't fairly competitive with some sort of subscribe and save model. . .

Its a dream. A dream come true for me. I mean seriously, I hate going to Super W for staples.

The downside. . . I suppose. . .is that even more increased pressure for the unworkable. I mean if your only job you can get is part-time at a grocery store. . this process (and its potential success) could be pretty scary.

I for one. . .would sign up in a heartbeat. I seriously. . .hate. . .wasting time at the grocery store. I would factor in my annual salary per hour and thats the value Amazon would save me. . .and I hear their prices are competitive in Seattle. . .so it will be a value steal for me

So if your working at a grocery store. . sorry . If wal-mart didn't kill you (and whole foods) Amazon will

For the millions of Americans sitting in the unemployment lines is Amazon which is one of our great job killers such a good idea? Jeff Bezos is one of the most ruthless bosses and he actually makes WalMart look like the very model of elightened employment! Amazon will be no good for the masses of Americans who can't even afford the Amazon Price!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies