Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in extraterrestial life?
Yes. Those UFO sightings and abductions are "them." 32 22.07%
Yes. I believe in intelligent life, but intelligent life has yet to contact us yet. Those sightings and abductions are crazy people being crazy. 60 41.38%
Maybe to yes. I could believe that there are bacteria, cells, organisms on another planet somewhere maybe. 44 30.34%
No. All forms of life, as we know it in science, only exist on earth. 9 6.21%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 05:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
No. There isn't intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.

For one, the unique positioning of the Earth relative to its star, is at just the right position for life. Sure, there may be planets in other solar systems at roughly equal distance to their stars for life, but I don't believe that it exists.

Why?

Primarily because in the Bible, it says that God created the Heavens (universe) and the Earth. On this Earth, of which along with the universe, all created within six days, He placed man and woman. If there were intelligent life on other planets, it would be contradictory to the Word of God. Therefore, this is a major reason why I do not believe that there is any other life elsewhere.

Furthermore, with as many satellites and probes that have been launched, granted they've only explored a fraction of all that is out there, nothing has been found that confirmly indicates life outside of Earth.

Since Jesus agreed with the Genesis account, and since Jesus IS God, it stands to reason that it is an accurate account. Since Jesus came to save mankind from his or her sins, the mankind, descendents of Adam and Eve, which we all are a part of, then Jesus' death on the cross could have only been for mankind on Earth, not for anyone else, validating the truth that life is only found on Earth.

I realize that some of you will give me flack for this, but it is what it is. This is what I believe, based on the Word of God. Evidence, at least what we have, seems to confirm this assertion.
LMAO...I haven't laughed this hard in quite a while. Thanks...you made my day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 05:46 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
What is your opinion on the matter?
No

My wife would kill me if I had an extraterrestrial life.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:52 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
Yes

They live in San Francisco.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:56 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Consider all the galaxies in the universe.

If only 1 out of every billion galaxies contains life (1 of 1,000,000,000), and if only 1 out of every billion stars in those life-containing galaxies has orbiting planets capable of supporting life, and if only 1 out of every billion of those planets that could support life actually does support life, and if only 1 out of every billion of those planets that supports life supports intelligent life, then there are hundreds of billions of intelligent civilizations in the universe.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:56 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
What is your opinion on the matter?
As big as this universe is, you'd have to be a fool to believe this is the only planet on which life exists. However, that same size makes it highly unlikely that two intelligent species will ever meet.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:00 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
No. There isn't intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.

For one, the unique positioning of the Earth relative to its star, is at just the right position for life. Sure, there may be planets in other solar systems at roughly equal distance to their stars for life, but I don't believe that it exists.

Why?

Primarily because in the Bible, it says that God created the Heavens (universe) and the Earth. On this Earth, of which along with the universe, all created within six days, He placed man and woman. If there were intelligent life on other planets, it would be contradictory to the Word of God. Therefore, this is a major reason why I do not believe that there is any other life elsewhere.

Furthermore, with as many satellites and probes that have been launched, granted they've only explored a fraction of all that is out there, nothing has been found that confirmly indicates life outside of Earth.

Since Jesus agreed with the Genesis account, and since Jesus IS God, it stands to reason that it is an accurate account. Since Jesus came to save mankind from his or her sins, the mankind, descendents of Adam and Eve, which we all are a part of, then Jesus' death on the cross could have only been for mankind on Earth, not for anyone else, validating the truth that life is only found on Earth.

I realize that some of you will give me flack for this, but it is what it is. This is what I believe, based on the Word of God. Evidence, at least what we have, seems to confirm this assertion.
Why would intelligent life on other planets contradict that God created intelligent life here? Does the bible, explicitly, say that this is the only planet on which God created life?

There could be millions of intelligent civilizations during the life of this universe that never meet because the universe is so fast and civilizations actually only exist for short periods of time in the big scheme of things. Why would God create such a vast universe and then only use one planet in all that vastness to place life upon?

Old 06-05-2013, 06:36 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,014,359 times
I was thinking of the twilight zone episode when the lucky people from some other planet took a spaceship to earth cause their planet was soon to be destroyed. Anyone remember this old episode ?

Old 06-05-2013, 06:41 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I was thinking of the twilight zone episode when the lucky people from some other planet took a spaceship to earth cause their planet was soon to be destroyed. Anyone remember this old episode ?
That sounds more like a Star trek Episode

Old 06-05-2013, 08:02 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,131 times
Nope! Not at all. And there is STILL not one bit of proof that there is!

Old 06-05-2013, 08:04 PM

811 posts, read 1,053,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
The positioning of Earth relative to our star isn't necessarily as important as some make it out to be. While you may or may not believe in evolution, the scientific community agrees that life on this planet evolved to be better able to survive here on Earth. With that in mind, it becomes entirely possible that life exists on a planet very different from our own, because the life there would have evolved to be better suited to its own planet.
The positioning of the Earth, with respect to the Sun, has a lot to do with it. Too close and cellular matter would burn. Too far away and it'd freeze, preventing the cellular processes necessary for complex life forms to thrive.

Evolution isn't fact (and I'm not talking about species variation, aka microevolution), but rather kind to kind evolution, also known as macroevolution. However, that's for another thread.

Regardless of what you believe, it doesn't change the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies