Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:05 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,395,784 times

Advertisements

And now we have Putin in charge. Unfortunately, we have a spying weenie named Obama as our guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 10:13 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,401,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
I have always said Reagan was an idiot. The amnesty to the illegals was the start of the immigration problem and look what immigration is today. It's a disaster!
Quote:
By: emeese
12/13/2006 12:06 AM

I was attorney general two decades ago during the debate over what became the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. President Reagan, acting on the recommendation of a bipartisan task force, supported a comprehensive approach to the problem of illegal immigration, including adjusting the status of what was then a relatively small population. Since the Immigration and Naturalization Service was then in the Department of Justice, I had the responsibility for directing the implementation of that plan.

President Reagan set out to correct the loss of control at our borders. Border security and enforcement of immigration laws would be greatly strengthened—in particular, through sanctions against employers who hired illegal immigrants. If jobs were the attraction for illegal immigrants, then cutting off that option was crucial.

He also agreed with the legislation in adjusting the status of immigrants—even if they had entered illegally—who were law-abiding long-term residents, many of whom had children in the United States. Illegal immigrants who could establish that they had resided in America continuously for five years would be granted temporary resident status, which could be upgraded to permanent residency after 18 months and, after another five years, to citizenship. It wasn’t automatic. They had to pay application fees, learn to speak English, understand American civics, pass a medical exam and register for military selective service. Those with convictions for a felony or three misdemeanors were ineligible.
Reagan Would Not Repeat Amnesty Mistake | Human Events

Old 06-09-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Thinker View Post
And now we have Putin in charge. Unfortunately, we have a spying weenie named Obama as our guy.
WTF does that have to do with anything? Are you trying to say we should still be fighting the Cold War?

Again, do you people even think before you write? I'd highly suggest doing so in the future...

Old 06-09-2013, 10:15 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,323,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

Er, what am I supposedly "blaming Reagan" for?

He just doesn't deserve credit for singlehandedly bringing the Soviet Union and Communism to its knees. That's nonsense.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Er, what am I supposedly "blaming Reagan" for?

He just doesn't deserve credit for singlehandedly bringing the Soviet Union and Communism to its knees. That's nonsense.
Who said single-handedly? Thatcher played a role. The Pope played a role. Gorbachev played a role. Lech Walesa played a role.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-10-2013 at 04:01 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 06-09-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Unfortunately, Reagan had little to no principles and capitulated to the Keynesians.
As has every president since, regardless of party.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Who said single-handedly?
Earlier in this thread, you yourself said he "began the process to win the Cold War." As several people have pointed out, you are not right.

Quote:
Please tell me you folks aren't this simpleminded...
Who exactly do you mean by "you folks?" People like me with no party affiliation who are disgusted by the Ds and Rs both and don't worship politicians like some do Clinton and some do Reagan?

Old 06-09-2013, 10:28 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,201,196 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't he repeat amnesty, because you said so??

Old 06-09-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Earlier in this thread, you yourself said he "began the process to win the Cold War." As several people have pointed out, you are not right.
He did begin the process. Well, actually Carter did, to a much lesser extent. But the shift from detente to winning the Cold War was Reagan's and no one else.

Quote:
Who exactly do you mean by "you folks?" People like me with no party affiliation who are disgusted by the Ds and Rs both and don't worship politicians like some do Clinton and some do Reagan?
I don't worship Reagan but I'm not going to sit here and read all the lies repeated by the left that the SU was going to collapse on its own. If that was actually the case it would have collapsed shortly after the revolution. It didn't, of course, for many reasons but one of the main ones was that the West basically subsidized their system. Even Hoover played a role in that...

Quote:
After the Armistice, Hoover, a member of the Supreme Economic Council and head of the American Relief Administration, organized shipments of food for starving millions in central Europe. He extended aid to famine-stricken Soviet Russia in 1921. When a critic inquired if he was not thus helping Bolshevism, Hoover retorted, "Twenty million people are starving. Whatever their politics, they shall be fed!"
Herbert Hoover | The White House

Video: The Great Famine | Watch American Experience Online | PBS Video

Old 06-09-2013, 10:41 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,201,196 times
Quote:
He did begin the process. Well, actually Carter did, to a much lesser extent. But the shift from detente to winning the Cold War was Reagan's and no one else.

I don't worship Reagan but I'm not going to sit here and read all the lies repeated by the left that the SU was going to collapse on its own. If that was actually the case it would have collapsed shortly after the revolution. It didn't, of course, for many reasons but one of the main ones was that the West basically subsidized their system. Even Hoover played a role in that...

Herbert Hoover | The White House

Video: The Great Famine | Watch American Experience Online | PBS Video
Why would the left falsely claim that the Soviet Union would have failed on it's own? That makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies