Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 10:46 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,358 times

Advertisements

This isn't new, Its been going on for years.

Read Wired Magazine from about a year ago re this. Their story was very interesting and very detailed.

It is surprising that its taken this long to hit the MSM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 10:50 PM

233 posts, read 238,906 times
A proper saying is that if you put a frog into a pot of boiling water, it will jump out at once. Put the frog in the water and turn up the heat a little at a time and the frog will boil to death. The patriot act, NDAA and SO many other things should have been a wake up call to the American people about how far out of control the government has become.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:00 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,238,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'd say this is new. Blanket surveillance of 121,000,000 Verizon subscribers with no specific justification of terrorist intent. That's 1/3 of Americans with just this ONE secret court order.
Think maybe they have secret court orders on the other telecommunication guys as well ?
No, not really anything new. Immediately after 9/11/01, the government began with the so called patriot act, and it just expanded from there.

Yeah, there's probably more providers who are tapped too, shouldn't be a surprise though, and the possibilities are endless.

{did you know?} once upon a time, I was having trouble with my internet service, I called to report the problem, and the technician I was speaking to on the phone asked me to log my pc onto the web and he said he might or would be able to diagnose the problem. He could, on his end, see every web page and view what I was viewing, in other words, I'd given him my permission to hack into my internet movements. Well, we all know there are hackers in the tech world, and I've always believed our government is part of the hacking group, nothing unusual about that.

The problem with Uncle Sam is that we're supposed to be protected by the constitution and we all have our civil rights, but the government in a effort to thwart terrorism is eavesdropping on America. At what length do people think the government would go to try to protect it's people and interests here and abroad? I'm believing they'll even do the unthinkable which may be stepping on our rights.

The other problem with America is that we're supposed to live in a free society, and people and organizations who hate America will use that to their advantage.

I learned a bit about espionage and subversion as a military member.

In the early days of Americans praying for civil rights, our government secretly wired tapped civil rights leader's phone lines. In fact, the IRS targeted the NAACP and other organizations.

Our government is secretive, why does anyone think that some information the government gathers is either secret or top secret? It's been that way since America began fighting wars.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:22 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Should the NSA be able to do this? According to the Patriot act, yes. There is still a need for that Law and I believe it helps protect Americans. Apparently, so does Obama.
If the IRS got away with investigating/auditing certain groups for political reasons, then what is to stop the DHS, FBI or CIA from doing the same. Remember, "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" Think Nazi Germany! They will go overboard with it sooner or later and they never should have been given this authority to begin with.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:33 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,850,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
If the IRS got away with investigating/auditing certain groups for political reasons, then what is to stop the DHS, FBI or CIA from doing the same. Remember, "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" Think Nazi Germany! They will go overboard with it sooner or later and they never should have been given this authority to begin with.
Really? When was this?

Old 06-07-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Really? When was this?
IRS targeted NAACP in 2004 - Kelsey Snell - POLITICO.com

The FBI even tapped MLK, and other civil rights activist and organizations.

http://academic.lexisnexis.com/docum...FBIFilePt1.pdf

Quote:
tions; organizations and individuals associated with the civil rights movement, including Martin Luther King, Jr. and others associated with the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, and the Congress of Racial Equality and other civil rights organizations; black nationalist groups; the American Indian Movement; a broad range of organizations labeled "New Left", including Students for a Democratic Society and the Weathermen; almost all groups protesting the Vietnam War, as well as individual student demonstrators with no group affiliation; the National Lawyers Guild; organizations and individuals associated with the women's rights movement; nationalist groups such as those seeking independence for Puerto Rico, United Ireland, and Cuban exile movements including Orlando Bosch's Cuban Power and the Cuban Nationalist Movement; and additional notable Americans —even Albert Einstein, who was a member of several civil rights groups, came under FBI surveillance during the years just prior to COINTELPRO's official inauguration.[8] The remaining 15% of COINTELPRO resources were expended to marginalize and subvert white hate groups, including the Ku Klux Klan and the National States' Rights Party.[9]
Read more....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COINTELPRO

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 06-07-2013 at 03:50 AM..

Old 06-07-2013, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
This is nothing different than what was done under Bush. The difference is that the Obamahaters accepted it under Bush and now denounce the same exact policy under Obama. I, for one, denounce it regardless of the sitting president.
I never accepted it under Bush, but instead of seeing it for what it is and rejecting it, Obama embraced it and continued the practice, it is nothing more than a power grab.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:57 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,850,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I guess our definition of "got away with" are different.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
According to the law, yes.
What law?

Old 06-07-2013, 04:08 AM

Quote:
I guess our definition of "got away with" are different.
I look at it this way, if you have a government, they're going to spy on their enemies, as well as their own people. That's been going on since the beginning of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies