Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 11:38 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
But they can keep students from proselytizing at a microphone in front of an entire graduating class and family.
No, no they can't.

In Tinker v. Des Moines The courts ruled that students do not leave their free speech rights at the door of the school. That a school may only restrict speech if it will materially or substantially disrupt school discipline.

They can ban setting a time for students to proselytize but they can not stop them from doing so. You may not see or want to admit the difference but it is a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 11:43 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Don't you worry. I have to ignore/avoid/tolerate that ignorant mythology on a daily basis. And if I voiced my dissatisfaction with doing so, Id probably lose my job.

But you keep on pretending you're the group being persecuted.
I never said anything about being persecuted, did I? For living in a red state I tolerate a democrat/liberal utopia thinking of life, so what's your point? You choose to live and work where you do.... work is different than school, after all school has taught kids to speak openly and freely about what ever they want. Kids have now become seen and heard! Have you visited Facebook some people post what they should not!

Old 06-07-2013, 11:43 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No, no they can't.

In Tinker v. Des Moines The courts ruled that students do not leave their free speech rights at the door of the school. That a school may only restrict speech if it will materially or substantially disrupt school discipline.

They can ban setting a time for students to proselytize but they can not stop them from doing so. You may not see or want to admit the difference but it is a big difference.
how dare you tell someone of the atheism religion that they are wrong. their entire religious beliefs are based on knowing unknowable things.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:45 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
there was another school that banned the father-daughter dance night at the school because there was a girl with no dad. we keep trying to please the few, afraid of offending someone. Some people need to grow a back bone and stop bending over.
How is this comparable to the separation of church abd state in a publcly funded school?

Schools should not ever have a need to ban what is clearly never to be implemented in the first place such as religious prayer promoted by a public non-parochial school.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:51 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I take atheists as seriously as I take leprechauns.
I take people who believe in imaginary deities as serious as people who believe in leprechauns.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I take people who believe in imaginary deities as serious as people who believe in leprechauns.
I see what you did there. you took my words, and switched them. I give you an A for originality.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:55 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Valedictorian rips up approved speech and recites the Lord's Prayer after school bans prayer | Mail Online
The teenager’s zeal may have stemmed from the school district’s new rule banning prayers that reference specific religion in gatherings including school board meetings and, presumably, graduations.
The rule has caused a stir in the southern jurisdiction, as it was widely perceived as a ‘ban on prayer in schools.’

Looks like some Atheist have been out trying to take others rights away again!

Old 06-07-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Touché...

My jaw dropped when I read that post. Someone who believes in a big guy sky daddy poking fun at someone that believes in leprechauns. Can the irony be anymore...ironic???

Old 06-07-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I see what you did there. you took my words, and switched them. I give you an A for originality.
The poster owned you. No two ways about it.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Touché...

My jaw dropped when I read that post. Someone who believes in a big guy sky daddy poking fun at someone that believes in leprechauns. Can the irony be anymore...ironic???
I never claimed I believed in anyone. I said it's simply impossible to know. are you sure I wasn't super ultra pwned? was I owned by my own words?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies