Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 04:12 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
I'm proud of him. More Americans need to stand up for their beliefs and just ignore the complainers.
Oh, you mean like people who's beliefs are that public schools should remain neutral on the subject of religion? Those Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 04:20 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh, you mean like people who's beliefs are that public schools should remain neutral on the subject of religion? Those Americans?
Those are the ones I will ignore. Most of them are not "neutral" by any measure, they are anti-Christian.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:49 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Dale, you liar. Schools have never banned prayer as students are free to pray however they want on lunch break or during passing periods. What is not allowed is a teacher ordering students to pray or to lead the students in prayer (like during a football game). This has been the same for 40 years so I refuse to believe Dale was just making an honest mistake and instead he, as usual, was deliberately lying about what the courts have repeatedly said.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:54 AM

156 posts, read 116,249 times
I always did find that ironic.

It was always the religious, churchy ones that did well in school and got scholarships, but it was always the atheists that were the drop out weirdo's.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:55 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
[/b]

And if the valedictorian gave his/her speech on such views and the audience BOOED?
It would indicate that the audience was ignorant of common courtesy.

Of course, your comment completely misses the point of my of my post, which doesn't surprise me in the least.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:40 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I certainly would applaud, even if I disagreed with their views. Anytime a school requires a Valedictorian to have a speech pre-approved before it is given should be ripped up. I do not want to hear what the school thinks is politically correct or politically safe. I want to hear the Valedictorian, in their own words, speak about whatever happens to be on their mind.
Ditto. I couldn't believe it the first time I realized these days, the speeches have to be approved. Never heard of such a thing in my time.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:48 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Ditto. I couldn't believe it the first time I realized these days, the speeches have to be approved. Never heard of such a thing in my time.
It's not "these days" - approval has been required for at least the past 20 years in my school district.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:23 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Good for him. That took cojones.
Lets not get overly dramatic. Thanking of parents and god/diety is common to most valedictorian speeches.

He was not doing anything restricted, or Heroric...or unconstitutional.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:50 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
My original comment was about students in the high school in which I taught. I gave an example of how schools in my school district handled valedictorians who tossed their pre-approved commencement speeches in favor of going 'rogue'. This SC school district apparently has different standards, sobeit. Next year, perhaps a val will once again rip up his/her speech and instead give one in support of gay marriage or women's reproductive rights, or anti-gun legislation, or any number of other topics of contention. I wonder how many of you will also applaud this next student who's standing up for what he/she believes.
A student who has done what it takes to become the valedictorian should have great leeway to say whatever it is they want to say. They've earned it.

If I was over the graduation the only thing I would say to the valedictorian is that they have shown themselves to be responsible up to this point so don't go and screw up all those years of hard work up by making the school look bad.

IMO most people who support the valedictorian here would support others in respectfully expressing their views in their speech.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:55 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
The school remained neutral here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies