Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 10:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
What complete and utter nonsense. No statute law "trumps" the US Constitution. You might want to read Article VI of the US Constitution.
My friend, I'm just the messenger.

There is an approved court order showing that 121,000,000 subscribers to Verizon have their phone data sent to the Government every day from 4/25/2013 until 7/19/2013.

The Patriot Act gives them the authority.

Here's the signed court order.

Verizon forced to hand over telephone data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 11:01 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Don't know how to break this to you but until the Congress decides that they've violated the Constitution or the Supreme Court rules that a law is unconstitutional it is the "law of the land.'

Article VI, Clause 2

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding.
Actually, Presidents can also hold a law to be unconstitutional, and refuse to enforce it, by using a Signing Statement at the time the law is enacted.

The US Constitution, and any ratified treaty, is the "Supreme Law of the Land." Meaning nothing supersedes it. Not federal statute laws, not State constitutions, and not State statute laws, nothing.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:03 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,383,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Fk your "civil rights"!

Your individual rights are National Security.
"Civil Rights" are corporate rights.

The Government is a (the) corporation.

And, under the 14th Amendment, you sir, are a lessor corporation.

A corporation of the whole is a corporation of a hole.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:06 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
So, it's only a problem of interpretation?

Black is white, white is black, etc.?
You tell me the black and white definition of "reasonable".
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated,[/quote]

[quote] and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.[1]
The you can explain to me the unconstitutionality of presenting a warrant to Verizon for the them to turn over their records... NOT YOURS, theirs! The records of your phone calls and mine are the property of Verizon.

Not I have yet to give my personal opinion on the Patriot Act and its subsequent amendments, but will comment on ignorant comments that keep us from getting at the more fundamental issue. Is this a law that the American people want or not especially considering the wide bipartisan support it received when it was passed.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Actually, Presidents can also hold a law to be unconstitutional, and refuse to enforce it, by using a Signing Statement at the time the law is enacted.

The US Constitution, and any ratified treaty, is the "Supreme Law of the Land." Meaning nothing supersedes it. Not federal statute laws, not State constitutions, and not State statute laws, nothing.
And who is going to stop them ? So far only Biden has come out publicly saying this is wrong.
The President tells us not to worry, it's only a modest encroachment of our rights.
The President of the United States is saying that.
The FBI says not worry, they aren't reading our emails or listening to our conversations.

And they all end up with "We're just trying to protect Americans".

Old 06-08-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated,

Quote:
and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.[1]
Quote:
The you can explain to me the unconstitutionality of presenting a warrant to Verizon for the them to turn over their records... NOT YOURS, theirs! The records of your phone calls and mine are the property of Verizon.

Not I have yet to give my personal opinion on the Patriot Act and its subsequent amendments, but will comment on ignorant comments that keep us from getting at the more fundamental issue. Is this a law that the American people want or not especially considering the wide bipartisan support it received when it was passed.
Hey Dude, you are the one who relies on the Supreme Court for word definitions.

I'm still stuck with a dictionary as my primary source.

"Reasoning" seems to be "seasoning" to believers.

Some people actually put salt on their watermelon.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:09 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
My friend, I'm just the messenger.

There is an approved court order showing that 121,000,000 subscribers to Verizon have their phone data sent to the Government every day from 4/25/2013 until 7/19/2013.

The Patriot Act gives them the authority.

Here's the signed court order.

Verizon forced to hand over telephone data
The USAPATRIOT Act most certainly does not give anyone that kind of authority. You would know this if you had ever bothered to read the law. The USAPATRIOT Act requires law enforcement and the courts to uphold the Fourth Amendment at all times.

Which means the court violated both the Fourth Amendment by not issuing specific warrants, violating the probable cause requirement of the Fourth Amendment, and violated the USAPATRIOT Act.

It should be noted that the courts and law enforcement will argue that the Fourth Amendment only protects against "unreasonable" searches and seizures. If they somehow deem a search or seizure is "reasonable" then they will argue that no warrant is even required. In a sense, they are right. However, that test of reason is made by presenting to the courts probable cause. If there is no probable cause, then it is deemed "unreasonable." Only if law enforcement can demonstrate probable cause can a search and/or seizure be construed as "reasonable" and that is why the court can issue a warrant. It is their stamp of approval that this search/seizure is "reasonable" and therefore warranted.

Last edited by Glitch; 06-08-2013 at 11:21 AM..

Old 06-08-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated,

Quote:
and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.[1]
Quote:

And as further extended as expirations came up. There was only one instance (Rand Paul) who objected and Reid went ballistic about protecting Americans.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
The USAPATRIOT Act most certainly does not give anyone that kind of authority. You would know this if you had ever bothered to read the law. The USAPATRIOT Act requires law enforcement and the courts to uphold the Fourth Amendment at all times.

Which means the court violated both the Fourth Amendment by not issuing specific warrants, violating the probable cause requirement of the Fourth Amendment, and violated the USAPATRIOT Act.
Then tell me why the FISA judge didn't tell the FBI to come back with 121,000,000 individual warrants ?
Tell me why the FISA judge signed off on that court order (not a warrant) that forbid Verizon from saying anything about having to turn over all their phone records every day ?

And this is just one single court order that was leaked.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And who is going to stop them ? So far only Biden has come out publicly saying this is wrong.
The President tells us not to worry, it's only a modest encroachment of our rights.
The President of the United States is saying that.
The FBI says not worry, they aren't reading our emails or listening to our conversations.

And they all end up with "We're just trying to protect Americans".
It's only a big hemp net thrown over everybody, with assurance given that it's not made of steel, and doesn't have barbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies