Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 03:27 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times

Advertisements

Let me ask you this. My husband wore the ring for a time, but now it's in a drawer. I think he worried about it getting scratched or it interfered with him working with his hands. He prefers not to wear any rings.
Anyway, was it inappropriate for him to wear it? What is the proper thing I should do with it? I do have a brother, should I send it him?

Old 06-13-2013, 03:54 PM

Another very interesting sector that overlaps the Freemasons, or should I say has some history in common, are the Oddfellows.
from wiki:

The name Oddfellows refers to a number of friendly societies and fraternal organisations operating in the United Kingdom. It also refers to a number of Lodges with histories dating back to the 18th century.[1][2] These various organisations were set up to protect and care for their members and communities at a time when there was no welfare state, trade unions or National Health Service. The aim was (and still is) to provide help to members and communities when they need it. The friendly societies are non-profit mutual organisations owned by their members. All income is passed back to the members in the form of services and benefits.
The Oddfellows are also fundraisers for both local and national charities; branches (lodges) raise money for local causes, and the Societies as a whole raise significant amounts for charities.

The French Revolution caused "the establishment" to view organisations such as the Oddfellows and Freemasons with fear. Membership became a criminal offence in France, and such organisations were driven underground and forced to use codes, passwords, special handshakes and similar mechanisms.[1] Fear of revolution was not the sole reason for persecution; Friendly Societies like the Oddfellows were the predecessors of modern-day trade unions and could facilitate effective local strike action by levying all of their members for additional contributions for their benevolent funds, out of which payments could be made to the families of members who were on strike.[

The American Separation [edit]

The Oddfellows had spread to America in the late 18th century, and several unofficial lodges existed in New York City; but American Odd Fellowship is regarded as being founded in Baltimore in 1819, by Thomas Wildey, and the following year affiliated with the Manchester Unity.[1]
In Britain in 1834, the Tolpuddle Martyrs were unexpectedly convicted and transported for "membership of an illegal friendly society". The Oddfellows "Board of Directors" hastily modified the "constitution" to evade a similar fate.
Members of the Oddfellows in the United States were not pleased to see the ancient rituals changed without their agreement, particularly to satisfy a British Government against which they had fought a war of independence. As a result, the Oddfellows in America declared their independence from the Manchester Unity of Oddfellows and became a self-governing Order – the Independent Order of Odd Fellows – which established lodges across the world (and continues to this day).[1][13]

Old 06-14-2013, 07:25 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Let me ask you this. My husband wore the ring for a time, but now it's in a drawer. I think he worried about it getting scratched or it interfered with him working with his hands. He prefers not to wear any rings.
Anyway, was it inappropriate for him to wear it? What is the proper thing I should do with it? I do have a brother, should I send it him?
I don't know the answer. I looked in one book I have, but found nothing. I'm sure some Masons would say masonic emblems should only be worn by masons. However, the masons have no control over the activities of non-masons. The only thing I can speak to is that a newly initiated candidate for membership is admonished that he should not wear masonic jewelry until he completes all three degrees. If you are not a candidate for membership, this obviously does not apply.

Maybe ptsum has more knowledge than I.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I don't know the answer. I looked in one book I have, but found nothing. I'm sure some Masons would say masonic emblems should only be worn by masons. However, the masons have no control over the activities of non-masons. The only thing I can speak to is that a newly initiated candidate for membership is admonished that he should not wear masonic jewelry until he completes all three degrees. If you are not a candidate for membership, this obviously does not apply.

Maybe ptsum has more knowledge than I.
This is kinda sad. Just out of curiosity for value, I looked it up on the net. You can even buy a Knights Templar ring on ebay.
Freemason, Masonic Ring items in Masonic store on eBay!

Old 06-14-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
This is kinda sad. Just out of curiosity for value, I looked it up on the net. You can even buy a Knights Templar ring on ebay.
Why do you say it is sad?

I actually bought my Masonic ring on ebay. There are collectors who only buy Masonic-related items. The ones I have talked to are not masons and do not plan to join. They collect this stuff just because it interests them, just like some people collect stamps.

When I find masonic items at an Estate Sale or auction, I try to buy them cheap. Sometimes I sell off what I don't want on ebay.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:44 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
Try searching a couple of Pawn Brokers.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Why do you say it is sad?

I actually bought my Masonic ring on ebay. There are collectors who only buy Masonic-related items. The ones I have talked to are not masons and do not plan to join. They collect this stuff just because it interests them, just like some people collect stamps.

When I find masonic items at an Estate Sale or auction, I try to buy them cheap. Sometimes I sell off what I don't want on ebay.
I thought they were earned, and held some value, not necessarily monetary value, but intangible, such as pride, something special. Apparently I was wrong.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I thought they were earned, and held some value, not necessarily monetary value, but intangible, such as pride, something special. Apparently I was wrong.
Not that I'm aware of. I guess you could say I have "earned" the right to wear one, but I had to pay for it myself. Yeah, people are proud of them. Especially if a (mason) father gives one to his (mason) son, or something like that. Some are intrinsically valuable too, depending on the metal and stones that are used. Not mine. It's stainless steel and enamel.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:57 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:

Basically a Masonic ring is usually passed on from one generation to the next unless of course there is no male member in that next generation and then the daughter will get that ring and more than likely put it on a chain and wear it around her neck to let people know that she is the daughter of a Mason and there is nothing wrong with that. A Masonic ring is usually purchased from a jewelry store that deals in those items so the ring belongs to whoever is wearing it on their hand. There are rings that are given to you by the particular Masonic bodies that you belong to such as the Scottish rite will present you with a ring for the 14°and if you become a Past Master of your lodge you will be presented with a Past Master's Jewel from that lodge that will be returned to the lodge upon your death and that Jewell will be passed on to another Past Master. It is a shame that some members of a past master or passed potentate or past grand master or what ever appended body that the individual belong to and was the head of sometimes does not know what to do with all of that Masonic paraphernalia, usually it's a good idea that the surviving widow or children contact the secretary of the lodge to find out what can be done with that stuff.

It is not a good idea for individual who is not a member of the Masonic Fraternity to wear a Masonic ring, it is very much frowned upon by members of the Fraternity. If you have any more questions I will be more than happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:47 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times
My father was a EL HASA SHRINER to be a Shriner you have to be a Mason first so if they care for burned children (SHRINERS HOSPITALS) how are they evil?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies