Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 10:46 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times

Advertisements

[quote=TheHurricaneKid;29937305]It makes it taste better though. But there are many things that can be eaten without salt...

Plus the right amount of salt is just a pinch, anyways.[/QUOTE]

Yes, a pinch at home but not in restaurants. Do you watch food network. They put in a fistfull of salt in their pasta water lol They said it should taste like the ocean. Sorry, but that's too much salt for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 10:51 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
[quote=natalie469;29937367]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
It makes it taste better though. But there are many things that can be eaten without salt...

Plus the right amount of salt is just a pinch, anyways.[/QUOTE]

Yes, a pinch at home but not in restaurants. Do you watch food network. They put in a fistfull of salt in their pasta water lol They said it should taste like the ocean. Sorry, but that's too much salt for me.
I don't watch cooking shows. I learn through research and looking at pictures. I don't like eating salty foods, save for certain types of sea food, and even those are a treat.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:09 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Meanwhile in related news-

Soy Sauce Overdose Sends Teen Into Coma
Teen who drank nearly a litre of soy sauce survives overdose without brain damage.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:11 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Meanwhile in related news-

Soy Sauce Overdose Sends Teen Into Coma
Teen who drank nearly a litre of soy sauce survives overdose without brain damage.
Good lord, that's like drinking the dead sea.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:35 PM

383 posts, read 641,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
People who like salty food have no culinary taste. Salt disguises the taste and of course makes everything taste good....except for those of us who know you don't need salt to make food taste good.

Wrong. Any good cook knows while preparing any meal Kosher salt or sea salt adds flavor of your dish. It's not salty. You may want to check out some food TV shows. Or for that matter look at some gourmet recipes.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:41 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfurm View Post
Wrong. Any good cook knows while preparing any meal Kosher salt or sea salt adds flavor of your dish. It's not salty. You may want to check out some food TV shows. Or for that matter look at some gourmet recipes.
You don't need salt to flavor food. You can use herbs instead. It's a different taste but much more healthy than using salt.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:56 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
People who like salty food have no culinary taste. Salt disguises the taste and of course makes everything taste good....except for those of us who know you don't need salt to make food taste good.
Natalie I would agree, over salted food tastes really bad but that is how some people like it.

Salt is an enhancement to food and you need to know when and where to use it. For example a little bit of salt in water for boiling noodles makes a huge difference. Same thing with meats before you are going to cook them. There is more going on than just adding salt for the salt taste itself, there is chemistry involved. I do a brined turkey and if most people saw the amount of salt that goes into they would think I'm nuts, the final product is not salty at all and I get complimented on it frequently.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:57 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Most of that salt is left in the water.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:09 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
So, you are one of those types that doesn't mind when a food place serves you food tastes like ****, but drowning in salt to cover up the lack of quality preparation and ingredients. Good for you to defend the places that do this.
For reals, so many places way over-salt their food these days, and that's assuming they're even bothering with fresh ingredients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Natalie I would agree, over salted food tastes really bad but that is how some people like it.

Salt is an enhancement to food and you need to know when and where to use it. For example a little bit of salt in water for boiling noodles makes a huge difference. Same thing with meats before you are going to cook them. There is more going on than just adding salt for the salt taste itself, there is chemistry involved. I do a brined turkey and if most people saw the amount of salt that goes into they would think I'm nuts, the final product is not salty at all and I get complimented on it frequently.
Unless you raised the bird yourself you don't need to brine a turkey since they already come injected with a solution due to so many crappy cooks overdoing it. And even then if you know what you're doing it's not necessary.

Quote:
Yes it does but why is that. What you're saying is that food doesn't taste good without salt. That's not true though. Some restaurants salt food so much that I'm dying of thirst all night. They rely on salt to make their food taste good.
In addition so many restaurants use prepackaged stuff, even the top-dollar fancy places, which has tons of sodium added for preservation. I think so many people got used to the taste of frozen food and McDonald's, even pro chefs, that their palates have been permanently altered to want everything to taste like that instead of real food. And of course most of the public who wouldn't know a fresh meal from their butts think the microwaved slop they're dropping $40/plate or more on is the greatest thing ever.

Last edited by J. Pederman; 06-09-2013 at 12:19 AM..

Old 06-09-2013, 12:22 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Yes it does but why is that. What you're saying is that food doesn't taste good without salt. That's not true though. Some restaurants salt food so much that I'm dying of thirst all night. They rely on salt to make their food taste good.
What do you put on your popcorn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies