Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 04:59 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times

Advertisements

It's too late to fix this. The apparatus is already in place.

At some point another financial crisis will occur and all the methods of oppression will be used to maintain civil order. In the short run, it will work. In the medium term, it won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 05:06 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Anyone remember the book "1984"

Old 06-08-2013, 05:12 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,657 times
"I told you so." George Orwell.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:49 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,421,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Anyone remember the book "1984"
yep 1984. depicting an oligarchical, collectivist society. 1984 has been particularly influential, and one of its creations, "Big Brother," has found a prominent place in pop culture. Ironically, the book has, at times, been challenged for being intellectually dangerous, even to the point of being banned. Its influence, however, remains unmatched and its message unforgotten.

“We tried our plan—and it worked. That’s the difference. That’s the choice in this election. That’s why I’m running for a second term.”…Barack Obama

Old 06-08-2013, 06:01 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I have similar stories, from a different angle...

One guy was a good friend I went to high school with. Nice, funny, married with 2 kids. Started posting about the vast conspiracy that controlled the world. Started talking about how elves lived on Venus and were in telepathic contact with him about what the human race should do to become free. As he raved more and more his wife and his boss couldn't take it any more, so she took the kids and moved about a thousand miles away after he was fired. He still contacts me on occasion about some super important thing the elves told him about me, and if I just pay his rent this month he will be relaxed enough to convey the message.

My wife had an ex from a ways back who was sure of the conspiracy just about to take everything over and turn the US into a vast police state. We parted ways for a bit, and when he got back into contact...he thought water droplets were intelligent beings and he was the next savior to lead us from tyranny with their help. He, of course, was looking for funding to start the movement. He is now in a locked psych ward somewhere in the Southwest.

Another guy was the maintenance man at our college apartment. One day he decided the government was just about to take over, quit his job and took his wife and kid into the Oregon mountains to wait it out. She got fed up with it after a few months and left him. He came back briefly to ask us to join him, or at least help to get a new truck.

Another woman who was a neighbor thought of the vast conspiracy about to take over. She also believed that there was a radio implanted in her head by her dentist that told her the secret plans of the CIA. We found out she killed herself by jumping off a bridge, because the voices got too loud, from her kids cleaning out her condo.

Another girl we met briefly was convinced the conspiracy was about to take over, with a multi-dimensional vampire at it's head that she used to date in a previous life. We heard that and got the hell away from her ASAP.

We saw a man in college, never actually met him, that was convinced there was a vast conspiracy about to happen. He would rave on the street corner across from the college, and ride the commuter buses every once and while. We would see him on the bus shouting at his foot because it had done something wrong to him, and was hindering him. I am pretty sure he was crazy, or a PhD psychology student...but I never found out.

There are many paranoid mentally ill folks around, which there is ample evidence of. This idea of a vast conspiracy by the government about to take over has been around for decades, spouted by those same folks with zero evidence. I think I will believe the option that has evidence and fact on it's side, then the side with a bunch of mentally deranged folks.
It is a by product of smoking weed.. paranoia..

Hitler was not paranoia. It wasn't that long ago that the people fell in love with Hitler and he was a monster.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:03 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post

At some point another financial crisis will occur and all the methods of oppression will be used to maintain civil order. In the short run, it will work. In the medium term, it won't.
Obama's vision.. never let a crisis go to waste.. that is what radical does.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Ok. This story scared me. Where did this happen at? That's just plain awful, unless it was hypothetical. In that case, OP, you have a talent for story telling. I'm not being sarcastic either.
the story the OP told can be applied to many countries, over many different eras. read a history about nazi germany, soviet russia, maos china, north korea since the separation, albania, cuba, in fact any country that had a dictator will have stories like the OPs all over their history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Do you think this is a new thing? The feds have tracked activists--liberal and conservative--ever since the days of J. Edgar Hoover. It's just easier for them now with the internet and social media.
very true. and not just the feds, but EVERY government in the world has done this in their history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post

i disagree that it is too late to fix, but it wont be easy, nor will it be as clean as people will want. and the longer we the people wait to push for a real fix, the harder, and possibly bloodier, it will be. and even then if revolution were to come to this country again, who is to say that the government we install after replacing the current one would be any better?

Old 06-08-2013, 08:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
It is a by product of smoking weed.. paranoia..

Hitler was not paranoia. It wasn't that long ago that the people fell in love with Hitler and he was a monster.
hitler absolutely was paranoid. the drugs he was taking for his stomach problems made him that way. and the longer he lasted, the worse he got. and after the attempt on his life in 1944, he got even worse.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:05 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,073 times
This country officially died in 1913, when the Federal Reserve Act was passed and the federal income tax was adopted.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:12 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
There are many paranoid mentally ill folks around, which there is ample evidence of. This idea of a vast conspiracy by the government about to take over has been around for decades, spouted by those same folks with zero evidence. I think I will believe the option that has evidence and fact on it's side, then the side with a bunch of mentally deranged folks.
There are many sane people who expose unpleasant realities involving our government and there are lots of examples of that too. I'll just list one that's relevant to the topic.

There were some whistleblowers who said that the NSA was using invasive technology which completely trampled The Fourth Amendment of the US Constitution to eavesdrop on innocent Americans. Many people wrote it off as paranoid delusion until an AT&T employee in San Francisco confirmed it was all true. Then the US Congress (both Republicans and Democrats alike) granted the communications companies who had been complicit in the crime blanket immunity.

Watch this quick five minute long video to find out what some other completely sane people are saying.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies