Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 03:05 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
So, you understood that Aloutte is a song about plucking larks? Who the eff is the target audience for THAT?
Nope. I understood that Alouette is a nonsense song from childhood. Because I recognized it, I didn't have to worry about what was being said because it was, obviously, just background music intended to bring back childhood memories and associate them with the store. It's a marketing strategy to associate positive childhood memories with the store in question. If they had used a song I recognized, I would have had the same response to this one. They didn't. They used a song that I don't recognize. Hence the issue with needing to know the language. If it were the first time I'd ever heard Aloutte, I would have had the same issue with Aloutte. Alouette is different because I recognize it as a childhood song that has something to do with feathers. It's just a silly song.

That one actually was a good ad because it drew in childhood memories with the song. I'm left wondering what Target's purpose in choosing this song was. If they were after the same effect, they failed miserably. The macarana would have been a better choice or the chicken dance or any number of silly songs we associate with happy events that we would have recognized as nonsense songs.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Haven't seen it. I saw this one and gave my impression. Intended or not, the impression I get is that the commercial is aimed at spanish speaking people. I find it annoying it aired on the English channels. We have spanish channels here. That's where it should air.
If it was aimed at Spanish speakers, it would be on a Spanish station. The rest of us here seemed to understand it, and we speak English as our first language, and watch English TV. The problem is you, not target.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
One of the best songs ever was all in Japanese, but because that language, that country's flags and unwanted impoverished populations weren't being crammed down our throats, everyone liked it.

Sukiyaki - Kyu Sakamoto (English Translation and Lyrics) - YouTube

Old 06-09-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Nope. I understood that Alouette is a nonsense song from childhood. Because I recognized it, I didn't have to worry about what was being said because it was, obviously, just background music intended to bring back childhood memories and associate them with the store. It's a marketing strategy to associate positive childhood memories with the store in question. If they had used a song I recognized, I would have had the same response to this one. They didn't. They used a song that I don't recognize. Hence the issue with needing to know the language. If it were the first time I'd ever heard Aloutte, I would have had the same issue with Aloutte. Alouette is different because I recognize it as a childhood song that has something to do with feathers. It's just a silly song.

That one actually was a good ad because it drew in childhood memories with the song. I'm left wondering what Target's purpose in choosing this song was. If they were after the same effect, they failed miserably. The macarana would have been a better choice or the chicken dance or any number of silly songs we associate with happy events that we would have recognized as nonsense songs.
I didn't learn that song as a child. You think a song saying "ula ula ula" over and over has some deep meaning? It couldn't possibly be just an upbeat "nonsense" song?

Old 06-09-2013, 03:09 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Nope. I understood that Alouette is a nonsense song from childhood. Because I recognized it, I didn't have to worry about what was being said because it was, obviously, just background music intended to bring back childhood memories and associate them with the store. If they had used a song I recognized, I would have had the same response to this one. They didn't. They used a song that I don't recognize. Hence the issue with needing to know the language. If it were the first time I'd ever heard Aloutte, I would have had the same issue with Aloutte. Alouette is different because I recognize it as a childhood song that has something to do with feathers.

Do you know every song ever recorded? Because it's a bit of a tall order for Target to only pick songs that you know.

And the older and more estranged from pop culture you become, the likely hood that you know any songs they might use becomes slimmer and slimmer.

In other words, get off my lawn.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
If it was aimed at Spanish speakers, it would be on a Spanish station. The rest of us here seemed to understand it, and we speak English as our first language, and watch English TV. The problem is you, not target.
Well? Why wasn't it in the many Spanish stations that now outnumber stations in English? What exactly is the point of putting a Spanish commercial on a English station when there are so many Mexican stations to put it on instead?

Old 06-09-2013, 03:13 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I just read today's Target print ad cover to cover. Completely in English. How disappointing. I now have to assume Target isn't affirming bias against a particular nationality, and will have to continue shopping there.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well? Why wasn't it in the many Spanish stations that now outnumber stations in English? What exactly is the point of putting a Spanish commercial on a English station when there are so many Mexican stations to put it on instead?
It was upbeat background music. It isn't a "Spanish commercial" anymore than last year's was a "French commercial."

Old 06-09-2013, 03:14 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Can you not get a point? The point is, I don't have anyone handy to ask. You see, no one here speaks spanish. So, I'm left with writing down lyrics and then finding someone who speaks spanish so I can ask them about....a commerical???? A commercial which the store it was made for did not care if I understood or not??? That's way too much work to understand a commercial when the company who made the commercial doesn't care if I get it or not. It's much easier to just cross the company that made the commercial off my list of places to shop at. I do not owe it to Target to do that much work to understand their commercial and they should not be expecting me to. If they wanted me as a customer, they would have made a commercial I could understand without a translator. Since I don't live with someone who speaks spanish, I can't just turn to someone in the room and ask, as you did so, for me, the solution is not that simple. Is this really that far over your head?
If you are doing all that for a friggin Target commercial ~ I suggest you find a hobby. As others have suggested, a good Zumba class might be in order. Or perhaps a Xanax if this gets you all worked up.

Target won't miss you all THAT much.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:15 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's not a Spanish commercial. It's just a commercial with a foreign language song, and it isn't the first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies