Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 05:42 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Mexicans want to take back California , Arizona and Mexico.

Mexicans Have Plans
for the American Southwest
They vow to take it over
Our southern neighbor is not shy about expressing its intention to conquer the American Southwest, which Mexico regards as territory lost in the Treaty of Guadalupe Hildalgo in 1846. Mexican children are taught in school that the United States stole that land, which they call “Aztlan.” Absurd rantings of political extremists? Consider…
• In 1997, then-President Zedillo proclaimed that “I have proudly affirmed that the Mexican nation extends beyond the territory enclosed by its borders.”
• Mexican American Legal Defense Fund founder Mario Obledo stated, “California is going to be a Hispanic state. Anyone who doesn't like it should leave. Every constitutional office in California is going to be held by Hispanics in the next 20 years.” People who don't like such demographic changes “should go back to Europe.” (Incidentally, Mr. Obledo was also the California Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare under Gov. Jerry Brown.)

Mexicans Have Plans : They vow to take it over | Peace . Gold . Liberty
Oh, dear Lord. Most Hispanics do not think that California is going to be Mexico again.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:44 PM

596 posts, read 730,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Yep, and they all have Obamaphones.

Then, one time, your friend was in line at Walmart and two Mexican men behind her were speaking in Spanish. It turns out, they were talking about kidnapping her and raping her. Fortunately, another customer understood Spanish and warned. (Insert your minor variation to this tale right here)
And don't forget, there was a Mexican woman (or was she black, you know how these black and brown folks tend to "blend") in front of her wearing name brand clothes and diamonds, paying for her lavish groceries with food stamps, which she subsequently loaded into her new tricked out Cadillac SUV with big fancy rims!

Old 06-09-2013, 05:46 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
And don't forget, there was a Mexican woman (or was she black, you know how these black and brown folks tend to "blend") in front of her wearing name brand clothes and diamonds, paying for her lavish groceries with food stamps, which she subsequently loaded into her new tricked out Cadillac SUV with big fancy rims!
Hit it right on the nail. I see them all the time in Florida... no so much in NJ.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:47 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I posted earlier that my dd's school delivers robo call messages in a foriegn language before they are repeated in English. We don't even get the option to press 1 for english. We have to wait through the foriegn language message first. I find this very annoying. I was here first.

I feel like we're being shoved aside by immigrants who don't want to bother learning the language. It feels weird having neighbors I cannot have the simpliest exchange with. We live in the same neighborhood and never will get to know each other becuase neither speaks the othet's language. Language is very important. Without it, we're left guessing about everything.

The typical will happen where I live. Those of us who speak english will leave and the area will become spanish speaking. We're like ships that pass in the night. Never learning about each other because we can't talk to each other. In my area there are two groups of immigrants so I'd have to learn two languages to do business with them or talk with them. It's easier to move to where people speak the same language I do.
Alright, I can understand your frustration with that. I too get annoyed flipping through operating manuals looking for English, and I do think reading English should be a requirement for a driver's license....but I honestly do not think this commercial is in that category. I see it as much more benign than you do. I usually FF through commercials, but I probably wouldn't if this one came on. I'd probably dance around to it, because it's a fun and happy-sounding song. Target has always used music that's young, new and not in the mainstream, just as they've stocked their stores with young, modern, colorful merchandise. That's how they got that "cool" reputation that other retail stores are now trying to emulate. Young people are much more open about different races, and I doubt there is much controversy over this song with the young demographic Target is trying to reach.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:47 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
I don't care for commercials and don't watch them. I think it is ignorant of businesses that feel in order to sell a product all these senseless commercials are necessary. Such as Geico and Progressive. All these commercials cost a lot of money to make and that cost is passed on to the consumer. Use the mute button when the commercials are on, and better yet toss the TV. That's what I'm going to do. I hardly watch tv and its not worth my bother to pay the cable co any longer.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
You're right about not being their target audience.

They're going for a much younger, hipper demographic than you, a demographic who likes contemporary international music - which obviously goes right over the head of all you old farts who thinks the only pop songs that should be sung in a foreign language in America is Aloutte or La Cucuracha, you know - ancient songs, songs you know.

Damn straight they aren't targeting you, but not for the reason you think.
The young and hip go to Target? Wonders never cease. How come I never see any hip types at Target?

Old 06-09-2013, 05:48 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
Oi! We don't want her! Why punish us with your citizens. You keep her!
I am not a she but a he and it is downright rude and hateful to suggest that I as a native English speaking American born in this country should be deported for expecting businesses not to ignore the majority to pander to a minority who are illegal alien Spanish speakers since most Hispanic-Americans know English. Bucking to get on my ignore list also? I find that those who feel the need to hurl insults have no viable arguments so they do that out of desperation.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The young and hip go to Target? Wonders never cease. How come I never see any hip types at Target?
The times I walked through the store I bought nada.. so I never went back.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Alright, I can understand your frustration with that. I too get annoyed flipping through operating manuals looking for English, and I do think reading English should be a requirement for a driver's license....but I honestly do not think this commercial is in that category. I see it as much more benign than you do. I usually FF through commercials, but I probably wouldn't if this one came on. I'd probably dance around to it, because it's a fun and happy-sounding song. Target has always used music that's young, new and not in the mainstream, just as they've stocked their stores with young, modern, colorful merchandise. That's how they got that "cool" reputation that everyone else is trying to now emulate. Young people are much more open about different races, and I doubt there is much controversy over this song with the young demographic Target is trying to reach.
Language isn't race.

The USA has been the most racially diverse nation on earth since day one. Language is another thing, Americans by nature want a common language that reflects our British heritage.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
That's because it's not. People with this mentality are the same folks who claim homosexuality is being shoved down their throats, just because gay people have the audacity to walk around living and breathing and wanting to be treated like human beings, instead of hiding in a corner somewhere being ashamed and invisible. Spanish is not being shoved down anybody's throat, but because it is becoming more mainstream and being used by more businesses, then certain people feel as if it is a personal affront to them. They think we should all look the same, think the same, believe the same, behave the same, and speak the same language. They take offense to anything outside of that very limited view.
It is a safety issue too. Can they read signs? If they are working with people can they take directions?

I am so sick of going into a store and they can't understand what product you want.. what good is that kind of help if they can't understand what you want and you need help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies