Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 02:55 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Your mind keeps you trapped. Eve though you are poor you think you know it all. You reject good advise coming from people who are better off trying to pry your mind open. Your prison is a mental one continuously reinforced by the people you listen to, the people you run with, the way you live, the way you think. The bars can be broken but they are hard to see. Rich people know this and that is why they say that welfare keeps people down.

You will never listen because it is hard to change your thought patterns and it is natural for you to wallow in your own self pity. You are what you think and liberals take advantage of your victim mindset and reinforce your victimhood view. You will never get ahead or be happy until "you" change what you think.

The Middle Class: As they become more successful they buy liabilities using bad debt which keeps them trapped in the rat race.

The Rich: Buy assets which puts money in their pocket.
Are you even partially capable of having a discussion without insulting people with completely unfounded retorts? Or, is your own life so pathetic that it's the only thing that gets you chubby? I have never seen a positive word come from you, just line after line of baseless derision. I worry about people like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 02:58 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Exactly! Nobody graduates with a degree in Lady Gaga or the Science of Superheroes, but it does teach critical thinking skills. Outside the box, as it were. Some of those courses sound pretty interesting.
Critical thinking skills? Really? Have you dealt with a 23 or 24 yr old college graduate lately? The MAJORITY couldn't think their way out of a wet brown paper bag. Most have no clue what to do in life and when faced with a difficult situation, the first thing they do is text their mother and father and ask what to do.

I've seen it, day in and day out, first hand. In fact, it is so rampant in police work, I have refused to train new officers anymore. They have absolutely no common sense and absolutely no "critical thinking skills." They break down and cry when a suspect calls them a name, call their mother to complain about when you ask a simple question such as, "What were thinking back there on that call?" That is right, a 23 yr old "man" who has a college education, cannot get through a day without calling their mother for guidance and help, yet they want to be a police officer.

You have them take a written statement from a victim. They hand it too you. It is three pages of hand written mumbo jumbo. No punctuation, no grammar, nothing is spelled right, no capitals, NOTHING. And you ask, "What is this?" "I don't do that stuff. Microsoft Word does it for me. No need for me to learn it." The next day their mother is in complaining about you, because you dared "question my little boy's spelling." Not too mention, they ask you what time it is, you show them your watch and the wrong time is written in the statement. The answer? "I don't know what time it is. Your watch isn't digital. I can't tell time on anything else." Oh yes, critical thinking my a$$.

The fact people actually defend these people just mortify's me. You have few exceptions, however it is not generally the rule. MOST of these young people couldn't critical think their way past American Idol.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Critical thinking skills? Really? Have you dealt with a 23 or 24 yr old college graduate lately? The MAJORITY couldn't think their way out of a wet brown paper bag. Most have no clue what to do in life and when faced with a difficult situation, the first thing they do is text their mother and father and ask what to do.

I've seen it, day in and day out, first hand. In fact, it is so rampant in police work, I have refused to train new officers anymore. They have absolutely no common sense and absolutely no "critical thinking skills." They break down and cry when a suspect calls them a name, call their mother to complain about when you ask a simple question such as, "What were thinking back there on that call?" That is right, a 23 yr old "man" who has a college education, cannot get through a day without calling their mother for guidance and help, yet they want to be a police officer.

You have them take a written statement from a victim. They hand it too you. It is three pages of hand written mumbo jumbo. No punctuation, no grammar, nothing is spelled right, no capitals, NOTHING. And you ask, "What is this?" "I don't do that stuff. Microsoft Word does it for me. No need for me to learn it." The next day their mother is in complaining about you, because you dared "question my little boy's spelling." Not too mention, they ask you what time it is, you show them your watch and the wrong time is written in the statement. The answer? "I don't know what time it is. Your watch isn't digital. I can't tell time on anything else." Oh yes, critical thinking my a$$.

The fact people actually defend these people just mortify's me. You have few exceptions, however it is not generally the rule. MOST of these young people couldn't critical think their way past American Idol.
ROFLMAO. We had one whose mother called every week to "see how he was doing on the job".
She called my manager and I knew because I was this new hire's mentor. My manager was exasperated by her weekly calls and threatened (jokingly) to give my name to his mother

Old 06-09-2013, 03:07 PM

991 posts, read 1,109,700 times
Old people railing against young people is a rather tired cliche if you ask me. We enjoy a lot of new exciting things and the digital age can be traced back to young people. You don't see old farts creating billions of dollars in wealth by inventing Facebook, Twitter, etc. do you?

Young people have pretty much mastered what most people want out of life: to be entertained.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:07 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
ROFLMAO. We had one whose mother called every week to "see how he was doing on the job".
She called my manager and I knew because I was this new hire's mentor. My manager was exasperated by her weekly calls and threatened (jokingly) to give my name to his mother
LOL I have had the same experience.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:10 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
Old people railing against young people is a rather tired cliche if you ask me. We enjoy a lot of new exciting things and the digital age can be traced back to young people. You don't see old farts creating billions of dollars in wealth by inventing Facebook, Twitter, etc. do you?

Young people have pretty much mastered what most people want out of life: to be entertained.
Is this what your mom told you to post??

Old 06-09-2013, 03:11 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
As a person with a "hard skill" job (but with a liberal arts undergraduate degree before going to professional school), I find it funny that so many people belittle degrees which they no nothing about. The prep school I graduated from boasts many students who went on to pursue liberal arts degrees and MFAs and have done very well in advertising, marketing, film production, and other creative fields (and are paid pretty well as a result). If you are smart enough and have the chops, it doesn't matter what you major in...you will succeed.
Exactly. I have a political science undergrad from a good school, went on to get my masters, and I own a rapidly growing marketing firm. My husband also has a liberal arts law degree, and it was great preparation for law school.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:11 PM

991 posts, read 1,109,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Is this what your mom told you to post??
dude I am 33. I own my own house and have a good job. But I learned long ago that I am happiest when I am just kicking back, relaxing, and enjoying a beer and baseball game. That's pretty much all I need out of life. Can't fault young people for wanting simply that. I find it's the old farts who always say "you need to conform to this"..."you need to be like we were"....bull****. Live your life.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:15 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
English Lit is also about "critical thinking".

"critical thinking" is the new buzzword to justify "issues".

It's certainly not a new concept. One would think we just discovered this thing called "critical thinking".
"Critical Thinking" is one of those useless expressions when libidjits can't think of an intelligent response. I've noticed it a lot around these parts. Those who use it seem to think it makes them look like thinkers while the rest of us are laughing at them.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:15 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
I suppose there are those people out there, but from my own experience (I have 5 teenagers with two in college) my kids would DIE if I tried to intervene in their school work, let alone their employment as adults. My high schoolers have a fit if I try to talk to one of their teachers or coaches. I don't know kids who would tolerate a parent calling an employer, or parents who would do it. The last time I talked to one of my kid's employers about "how he was doing" it was when a neighbor hired him at 12 to help around the farm, and we were worried that he was too young. When I ran nonprofit agencies I had lots of just out of college hires, and I never, ever had a parent contact me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies