Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 01:39 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I sincerely hope that the next ones to die in a terror attack are all among the weak kneed, slack jawed morons who think it is OK to compromise classified information that affects our national security because the don't like the government.
Oh noes!!!!!1111111!!!! Terrorists!!!!11111!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 01:43 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
Yes spying is wrong and I for one am appalled and will shout about it from the housetops.

And don't be ashamed that you voted for 0bomber, just be more careful next time. Get more involved with the candidate who is being trashed for his ideas that the R and D shout down. But they have the keys to the voting machines, and who they select will win, sadly.

The only recent upset that I know of was the defeat of Allen West. He got elected by the 'Real Tea Party' and then promptly threw them under the bus, and went neo-con. Well when it came time for re-election guess what, the hard core voted for the worthless 'other guy' just to make a point, and it worked.
Next time I will be more careful, that's for sure and every time I see Obama doing something illegal, or immoral (which is most of the time)I cringe and say "I can't believe I voted for him". I should know better because he was in politics in Chicago and everyone knows Chicago Democrats (Chicago Republicans are rare)are dirty. I lost a job because of them and generally avoid most of them voting wise but they still win because of people's stupidity.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:43 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I was just reading about Manning's trial from the Rolling Stone.
Matt Taibbi is one heck of a write and sees right through this.
The same will be done with Snowden.

As Bradley Manning Trial Begins, Press Predictably Misses the Point | Matt Taibbi | Rolling Stone
When military secrets cross the line into atrocities, the act of keeping these secrets secret ceases to have much meaning.

The issues to be debated at this trial are massive in scope. They're about the character of the society we've all created, not the state of mind of one troubled Army private. If anyone tries to tell you anything else, he's selling you something.
Thanks for the link. While I do not always agree with his end conclusions Taibbi is one of the best political writers out there.

I have had a hard time with those who leaked information. I do understand that can be treason. I've been reluctant to take either side on what should happen to Manning.

I've come to the conclusion that it is not a crime to expose a crime. If Manning had been on the front lines and had been instructed to go in and "kill the enemy" and upon going in realizes it is just unarmed women and kids, refuses to do so.

So the C.O. instructs someone else to and the soldier see's this as an ongoing thing. Would we condemn him for exposing this?

I have to side on Manning being found not guilty. If someone tells the enemy that we will be attacking on the 5th and they can then prepare for it, that would be something different. What has been done by Manning and here isn't treason....it's doing just as noted before. Doing what the government has instructed them to do. "If you see something, report it".

Old 06-11-2013, 01:52 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,128 times
Quote:
I sincerely hope that the next ones to die in a terror attack are all among the weak kneed, slack jawed morons who think it is OK to compromise classified information that affects our national security because the don't like the government.
The NSA surveillance program failed in the case of Boston. It happened before the leak.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:56 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Daniel Ellsberg's take on whistle-blower Edward Snowden:

Edward Snowden: saving us from the United Stasi of America | Daniel Ellsberg | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Old 06-11-2013, 01:57 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,734,220 times
Just got here so lot's of quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Clearly, you haven't informed yourself very well about this matter. Please share with us your knowledge of the laws which have been broken (by persons other than this traitor).
No laws were broken. It this were ever get to a jury he would walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
The government calls him a traitor because they're embarrassed to have been outed. They're all in a snit because he didn't follow proper channels.

Fat lot of good that would have done! They have never listened and never will.

He's a hero.
They just hate it when the little guy rips down their curtain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
He's probably in a Chinese prison learning just how bad a government can be.
You sir have absolutely no clue about international relations. I'd bet you haven't been more than 100 miles from your mom's basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I honestly believe it was a test to see just how dumbed down people are!!!!! (And its showing quite well how much they are)

MOST OF USE KNEW QUITE WELL THIS IS GOING ON ---- THIS IS NOTHING NEW......

This is just new "mainstream" information which they knew would fall on DEAF EARS among the masses!! (They have been made NOT TO CARE about serious stuff like this)
You might be on to something here. I believe he was honest in his motive, but I'm questioning if he wasn't 'encouraged' by someone else to reveal the extent of the NSA's collecting. That someone could be who is 'protecting' him now. I have a little experience with dirty tricks people and they are always at each other. I don't see any foreign involvement yet.

Quote:
We cant tolerate a situation where anyone with a grudge or a political point of view to be advanced can simply release highly classified information to the press or our enemies. Our secrets are our security. He must be found and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
Where is the roach killer when ya need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
He's a traitor buy those he is fingering.
He is a whistle blower to those that had no clue.

Willing to place your life on the line, to preserve the Constitution, is what Patriots of liberty for all, are made of.

If only you had the balls to do it.
Spot on! +100

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Would you approve rounding up people if the government said a particular group was a threat to national security and they would place you at risk if they continued to walk free in America ?

And they can't give you specifics because it's all secret but you should trust they did their work.
Probably till they came for him. People are really very self centered these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Maybe. It seems like the habit here is to point fingers and blame the other party.
That was and still is my impression of this forum. Kinda like the old GodlikeProductions. Found a few smart folks here and a few who want to learn, and that is what is keeping me here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I was pointing out.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:59 PM

742 posts, read 678,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
HS dropout, Army boot camp washout, security guard...

And somehow ends up with a TS clearance being paid $200,000 per year.

VERY disconnected.

So leaves his gorgeous GF behind and gives up the $200K/yr for...

...what, exactly?
Sorry you only want to see the negatives of what he has done. Try again.
OH wow, for what? Kidding here?

Exposing what is going on with Prism and the NSA, what else?

Old 06-11-2013, 02:01 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
China, while still repressive, is a far more capitalist nation than we are. They are communist in name only.

The only people who have committed treason are the government and quasi-government agencies who intrude on the privacy and violate the civil liberties of American citizens.

Principles are the most important thing a person can have. Without them life is meaningless--almost as meaningless as the government.

The "safety" of this nation is FAR more threatened by State secrecy and deception than by some PATRIOT who exposes it.

You are 6 times more likely to die from hot weather than a terrorist attack--should we require a curfew when it gets above 75 degrees out?

You are 6 times more likely to die from electrocution than a terrorist attack--should we require everyone to go back to gas lamps and wood stoves?

You are 6 times more likely to die from a police shooting than a terrorist attack--should we abolish all police?

You are 9 times more likely to choke to death on your own vomit than die in a terrorist attack--should we ban eating solid food and require everyone to be hooked up to an IV?

You are 12 times more likely to die from accidental suffocation in bed than from a terrorist attack--should we require everyone to sleep on the floor?

You are 13 times more likely to die in a railway accident than from a terrorist attack--should we ban trains?

You are 87 times more likely to drown than die in a terrorist attack--should we ban swimming?

You are 404 times more likely to die in a fall than from a terrorist attack--should we ban walking?

You are 1048 times more likely to die from a car accident than from a terrorist attack--should we ban cars?

You are 12,571 times more likely to die from cancer than from a terrorist attack and 17,600 times more likely to die from heart disease than from a terrorist attack--should we ban any and all new reproduction?
This is just stupidity in print! It is sad you have so little to do that you have time for that. We should do what we can to protect American lives consistent with our principles. We are doing that. We need to more spying on the bad guys. We need to deny them any refuge and the free use of any technology. We need to hunt and kill as many as we can. We need to be ever vigilant and aggressive against our enemies.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:08 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
This is just stupidity in print! It is sad you have so little to do that you have time for that. We should do what we can to protect American lives consistent with our principles. We are doing that. We need to more spying on the bad guys. We need to deny them any refuge and the free use of any technology. We need to hunt and kill as many as we can. We need to be ever vigilant and aggressive against our enemies.

The Irrationality of Giving Up This Much Liberty to Fight Terror - Conor Friedersdorf - The Atlantic

Old 06-11-2013, 02:10 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
OMG! What liberty are you giving up? So they checked your phone number to see if you were talking to terrorists. BFD! You wingers are all so ridiculous. You really ought to hear yourselves through rational ears like mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies