Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 04:10 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
No, I wouldn't make the same choice and he is far from awesome. I work in his field, I don't find it acceptable and hope he is held accountable, similar to others.
Sing it for me, HAL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8N72t7aScY

Last edited by Nonarchist; 06-12-2013 at 04:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 04:14 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
O has hired hundreds of thousands of mouth breathers to fill federal jobs, most of them black.

That one white guy with a brain and a conscience snuck in under the radar isn't that surprising.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:17 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
You leftists are hilarious.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:26 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I do not recall any wiretaps without a court warrant. Is it possible it happened long before I had any concern? Maybe, but not simply because you made the claim.
OMG!

Alberto Gonzales Carefully Tailors Warrantless Wiretapping T - YouTube

Quote:
The university was one of the stops on Gonzales' circuit as he attempts to defuse criticism of the National Security Agency's domestic spying program.

But as the attorney general tried to convey that the extraordinary circumstances of the September 11, 2001, terror attacks justified the program, the protesters turned to one of America's Founding Fathers for their rebuttal.

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither" -- a paraphrase of a quote attributed to Benjamin Franklin -- had been scrawled in capital letters on a sign that required four protesters to hold it up.

Gonzales didn't acknowledge the sign nor did he stop his speech as 22 protesters, including the four with the sign, stood with their backs to him during the address. Five protesters left the room during the speech. (Watch Gonzales defend the program -- 4:17)

Gonzales said that Congress was aware of the program's scope and that it had been approved "under the authorization to use military force" against terrorism.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/01/24/nsa.strategy/

Old 06-12-2013, 04:33 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Yes he did, he compromised a government secret, which, might or could be used against Americans in the future.

You need to forget about the constitution for a minute and think about legislation which was passed by the congress pertaining to the Patriot Act, and other laws which protect this great nation.

If you're not connected to, or communicate with terrorists and their organizations, you have nothing to be concerned about.
mostly agree
And would like to add,never ever criticize a sitting administration or make a mistake on your taxes.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:00 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon 3475 View Post
It doesn't escape me at all. It was simply a buffer. He could have made a tape and then disappeared into the one of hundreds of secret buildings that have been erected since 9/11 here in America. You would have seen that had you watched the PBS documentary. Those aren't likely to exist in China although Snowden (not sure if that's an alias or some sort of joke or his real name) refereed to a government contractor who had an office right around the corner in Hong Kong. It simply gave him more time to figure out what he's going to do (if anything) and allowed him enough time to become a public figure who won;t simply disappear into the National Security tangled web.
It still escapes you. There was no need to make a tape in China, or tell the world where he was hiding. He could have made the tape in his basement and no one would have known where it was made, or where the guy was hiding. Announcing your hiding place it probably the dumbest things you can do. Bin Laden made many tapes, and had them published, but that did not lead to his arrest. So, explain again the point of announcing that he is hiding in China, and will soon be hiding in Iceland, especially when both of those countries have extradition agreements with the US?

Old 06-12-2013, 05:05 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
If he stays in the US, sooner or later CIA will find out who did the interview.
Sure, I would have left the US too, but I would not have been dumb enough to reveal my current and future hiding places.

Quote:
Also, I think he has a desire to be famous too. And he succeeded
Yes, getting his mug on TV seems to have been one of his primary goals. Otherwise he would have stayed anonymous like Mr Deep Throat. The fact that he lied about his salary also tells you something about him as a person.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:07 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
mostly agree
And would like to add,never ever criticize a sitting administration or make a mistake on your taxes.
Well, let's see, I critiqued Bush after it was revealed there were no WMD's, and Iraq had no ties to 9/11/01. I stepped up my criticism of him after he claimed he wan't concerned with the whereabouts of one Bin Laden. I see room for improvement with this administration, but won't go to DC to walk a picket line. Now, if OWS was better organized, and some politicians on the left would support going after Wall St. and big banks, I might join up. IMO, the banks should have been left to fail on their own, the strongest survive in this economic world.

I've made mistakes on tax returns before, they brought it to my attention, and I paid interest and penalties, but I did need to call the IRS and make payment arrangements, which wasn't difficult at all. At the time, the IRS people seemed pretty reasonable and easy to work with.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:23 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,434 times
You can debate this all you want but what the government did was break the law. It's against the law under the 4th Amendment, unreasonable searches.

If I have a choice between freedom and "protecting us from terrorists" I will take freedom.

I recommend everyone read The Coming of the Third Reich, by Richard J. Evans. You might look at this whole thing a lot differently. Another good book is The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. History can be your friend in understanding the things happening in our world today, not the MSM.

It's all about controlling your enemies. Has nothing to do with terrorism, and if you don't see that you watch to much TV instead of educating yourself.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:39 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Hoover had the dirt on everybody...that's how he kept his jobs for decades. It's no secret that there were tons of wiretaps by the FBI over the years, often on people that Hoover disliked.
Asked how many wiretaps were in place at any one time during the twenty-two years he cooperated with the FBI, Horace Hampton stated, “it could have been a hundred. It could have been more….

I would say that probably during the Kennedy-Johnson administrations we had quite a few. It tapered off after that. It was quite low before Kennedy.”

While it's well known how paranoid Hoover was "could have been a hundred" doesn't come close to what this administration has done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies