Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 06:51 PM

37,164 posts, read 19,174,827 times

Advertisements

The author is a Presbyterian minister, and he's Spot On.

10 POLITICAL Things You Can't Do While Following Jesus - The God Article

Old 06-09-2013, 06:54 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,234 times
I always wonder why Republicans pick and chose what to follow from their bibles.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:02 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
5) Withhold healthcare from people.
This time I'm not only repeating an item, I'm repeating a lot of what I said. Did you ever play the game “Follow the Leader"? If you don't do what the leader does, you are out. Following means you should imitate as closely as possible. When people who were sick needed care, Jesus gave it to them. If we are following Jesus, we will imitate him as closely as possible. No, the government can't repeat the miracles he did but I've seen modern medicine do things that are about as close to a miracle as I expect to get. While the government can't do miracles, it can supply modern medicine. Every year, 45,000 people die in the U.S. because of the lack of healthcare. We Christians like to talk about “saving” people. Well, I know of about 45,000 people who'd love for us to do it and we should – because that's how love works.
Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

John 14:12

Quote:
1) Support capital punishment -- execution.
Jesus died by execution. He was an innocent man. Every year, innocent people die by execution in our nation. It's time to be a shining city on a hill. It's time to express the fullness of love, to express the value of life. It's time to stop the government-sanctioned killing.
The reason to not support capital punishment is not because someone innocent might be executed. Am I to assume that he would support capital punishment in cases where there is no question as to guilt?

I just picked a couple easy ones.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:10 PM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times
"Thou shall not steal" - there goes the funding for all those utopian ideals

Old 06-09-2013, 08:24 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post

Heh heh.

1 is debatable
2 isn't completely a liberal/conservative divide - while fundamentalist Christian types may question education, groups like Mormons do not
3 is silly - we can treat people in other countries with Christian love without them coming here
4 agreed
5 withholding health care is not the opposite of Obamacare; maybe they should work towards a single payer system then
6 okay but once again letting people go hungry is not the opposite of not providing unlimited entitlements for people who could otherwise work
7 agreed
8 agreed, but one could argue that policies that are neutral regardless of wealth are Biblical as well
9 agreed
10 agreed

No mention of abortion either, so social justice doesn't really hold up here. Looks political/liberal to me.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:39 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Yeah... it's one guy's opinion.

Do a survey of a large sample of biblical scholars and Protestant leaders, then get back to us...

Old 06-09-2013, 08:51 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,784 times
What ****in' moron.

He clearly states government executed Jesus. And Jesus spent part of his youth in a foreign land (so the govt wouldn't kill him).

Then he talks about how the same government is going to provide us with benevolent healthcare, education and help the poor??? lols.

He states 45,000 die a year because of a lack of healthcare and government can fix that. About 40,000 people die every year on government owned and managed roads. But they can save lives?

And why do people say the U.S. is a country of immigrants. We aint. More than 90% of us were born here. I was born in Ohio, I live in Ohio. I aint an immigrant. You have to turn away some immigrants. Otherwise we all suffer.

And most of the things he criticizes applies nicely to Democrats. Especially using government to help the rich at the expense of the poor and not wanting equal rights for everyone.

P.S. Government doesn't supply medicine, capitalism does. Like I said, this guy is a ****in' moron.

P.S.S. There is not one shred of evidence that Jesus supported any government or government program. In Luke he said he was not interested in mortal governments. But people wanna act like he was all political and woulda supported his side? lols.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post

Well thankfully we're not a theocracy. Jesus didn't make the USA, nor did he write the Constitution. Nor was it Jesus that rebelled against taxes and tyranny.

Keep in mind we have separation of Church and State, and Jesus even said the Father's Kingdom is not of this earth.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:03 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
"Thou shall not steal" - there goes the funding for all those utopian ideals
And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.
That's not what the Patriots of the American Revolution or the Founding Fathers said however. Jesus wasn't even around to make the USA.

Give me Liberty or give me Death! Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies