Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,214,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yanno what burns me up to no end, is the fact, that there is supposed to be a do not call list, yet, somehow, politicans are except from that, and during the elections, I am hounded with political calls at all hours of the day and evening? Boy that really burns me up....
That list is probably the white pages for the NSA to match up numbers and names.
And we're the fools that gave it to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 06:47 AM

28,863 posts, read 30,122,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That list is probably the white pages for the NSA to match up numbers and names.
you got it....

so they don't care who or how or what time they get they're calls into us...
then it's at all costs, and now they do recordings so you can't yell at the caller and tell them to take you off they're list....
and to boot, they have celebraties make the recordings.....????? Geeze Louise....what makes them exempt?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:48 AM

25,777 posts, read 16,394,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I would say the time is ripe for a new political party.

Jesse Ventura and Howard Stern in 2016. Ok.....it happened in Minnesota and shocked everyone.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:05 AM

28,863 posts, read 30,122,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I would say the time is ripe for a new political party.

Jesse Ventura and Howard Stern in 2016. Ok.....it happened in Minnesota and shocked everyone.
Yup, I'm for it, we need to clean house, period....and limited terms....and if socialized meds implements, they all have to take what we have to take, period. And lets start putting limited salaries on the big guys.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:10 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,651,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I can't help but fear for the future of this country.
The America I grew up in is long gone and the acceptance, with barely a whimper of protest, of mass drug testing in the 80s was a marker shouting its end.

The future of this country, which hasn't resembled the United States of America for decades now, is but a footnote to the real story of the suicide of American freedom long ago.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:12 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,054,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I've railed against the GOP for years, and I voted for Barack Obama in part because I thought that we were going to end the politics of paranoia and waging war against an idea. Crap, was I wrong.

I still won't vote Republican - no way in hell I'd do that. But at this point, I don't know if I can in good conscience vote Democrat anymore. I'm really, really disappointed to see democrats supporting this policy just because it's a democratic administration running the show. These are the same people who'd be howling at the moon if this revelation had come out during the Bush administration, and if they have a shred of honesty, they'd admit it.

Ironically, as much as I've lampooned the Ron & Rand Paul show over the past year or more, I can honestly say that they're among the few people I really feel comfortable with right now. I strongly disagree with them on a lot of things, particularly economics. But in terms of civil liberties, they're probably one of the few who are willing to be statesmen. I also commend Udall, Wyden, and DeFazio.

I'm probably voting libertarian or green party from now on...if at all, that is.
I, for one, appreciate your objectivity.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
From now on not one American can be sure:

That his/her communications with a doctor are not being read by the Health and Human Services Department, the IRS, and any other agency who is playing in the enforcement of the administration’s heath care disaster.

That his/her communications with a lawyer about a case involving the federal government are not being read by the Department of Justice, White House political operatives, federal judges, or other federal government officials. Indeed, how do we know that the Department of Justice did not read the e-mail of those who prepared the first challenge to Obama care that reached the Supreme Court? And how do we know they are not reading the e-mail of those who prepared the First Amendment-related challenge to Obama care now working its way toward the Supreme Court?

That his/her communications with a priest, minister, rabbi, or imam are not being read by an government official and supported by the mainstream media, that lust to remove all traces of all religions from the public square.

That his/her inquiry about or order for a weapon via electronic means is not being placed on a federal government register of gun owners.

That his/her opinions expressed in the various means of electronic communication are not being inserted into a dossier that could be used to smear or blackmail him/her if it becomes politically useful to do so.
Another excellent post!

Old 06-11-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The same exact thing happened when Bush was president. No right winger cared that Bush was spying on everyone, because you are "either with us or with the terrorists", isn't that right? Don't go having a holier than thou attitude on us already when your side is just as guilty as the fake left is
Actually, if you go back and read the debates over the PATRIOT Act when it was being deliberated in the public square, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone on either side who predicted that EVERY phone call made by Americans would be tracked.....that every website and email and Skype conversation would be tracked. This is NOT what America thought the Patriot Act would entail.

Do your research. That's why this is a big deal.....people thought warrantless wiretaps were bad.....people thought suspension of habeas corpus was bad.....people thought an exemption to 5th Amendment rights were bad.........But NO ONE thought it would be so egregious as this. It was supposed to be about terrorists and terrorism. Not tracking the digital footprint of every living, breathing American.

On your point about both parties being culpable, I don't disagree.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:39 AM

25,777 posts, read 16,394,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Actually, if you go back and read the debates over the PATRIOT Act when it was being deliberated in the public square, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone on either side who predicted that EVERY phone call made by Americans would be tracked.....that every website and email and Skype conversation would be tracked. This is NOT what America thought the Patriot Act would entail.

Do your research. That's why this is a big deal.....people thought warrantless wiretaps were bad.....people thought suspension of habeas corpus was bad.....people thought an exemption to 5th Amendment rights were bad.........But NO ONE thought it would be so egregious as this. It was supposed to be about terrorists and terrorism. Not tracking the digital footprint of every living, breathing American.

On your point about both parties being culpable, I don't disagree.
And at the same time we still have political prisoners interred at Gitmo. We TORTURE prisoners for information.

This is everything we always though we were standing against when I was a kid. I remember the 60's and the 70's clearly. I remember the Soviet Union. I remember being ready to sign up in the military to fight them if I had to.

Now look at us.

Thank God my Dad is not alive to see this (Marine WWII)

Old 06-11-2013, 07:46 AM

4,739 posts, read 4,419,070 times
We are not a nation of cowards, we are a race of them. I think old Hermann had it right. . .

Hermann Goring: But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship.

Gilbert: There is one difference. In a democracy, the people have some say in the matter through their elected representatives, and in the United States only Congress can declare wars.

Göring: Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

Too many of us are too weak willed, to trusting, to compliant to listen to Benj Franklin - "Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies