Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:39 PM

57,260 posts, read 26,192,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I've been saying for years that the democrats have no balls, and this just might be the ultimate example of that. They don't stand up for the average working American; don't fight for seniors; and now they're doling out our rights to the government. About the only "accomplishment" is this gift called Obamacare, and even when I was defending him, I predicted that this was a hodgepodge piece of legislation that would end up being confusing and costly - principally because, again, democrats got soft on their principles and refused to hold the healthcare insurance companies accountable.

You might want to go back and look at the poll results before you find any meaningless conclusions about either party.

Quote:
The reversal on the NSA’s practices is even more dramatic. In early 2006, 37 percent of Democrats found the agency’s activities acceptable; now nearly twice that number — 64 percent — say the use of telephone records is okay. By contrast, Republicans slumped from 75 percent acceptable to 52 percent today.

Compared with a 2002 Pew poll, Democrats are now 12 percentage points
more apt to support the government’s monitoring of all e-mails and other online
activity if officials say that it might help prevent terrorist attacks. On the
flip side, the number of Republicans who say the government should not do this
has increased by 13 points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 09:12 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
When Americans should be outraged, they reach for the remote to change the channel so they can go back into that nonthinking state. Snowden is today's patriot but will be hunted as a traitor, no different than Bradley Manning.

Once a great nation passed judgement over a people that were duped by their leaders and we said it was the duty of the minions to rebel to the wrongs. Now we silence the dissent. Stand in line, you don't need freedom in the line so jsut keep standing there.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:22 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I was just thinking, A lot of people get upset about government intrusion when it happens to them or someone like them. For example I don't hear many of you complaining about the stop and frisk violation of rights of the many black and hispanic males in NYC. I don't hear you guys running to complain about the rights of gays an their desire to be allowed to marry each other. I don't hear you guys complain when the government meddles with the press. I don't hear you guys when the government violates the human rights of foreigners in their own country. I could go on. But as soon as it happens to you or someone that looks like you, you are up in arms. (This spans race, class, and gender) On the internet. Brilliant.
Probably because this thread is not about stop and frisk, you can start a thread about that if you like.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:23 AM

20 posts, read 17,489 times
I love how everyone keeps quoting what the American people want... The American people are brainwashed. What do you think TV programming and ads are? Do you think companies would be spending millions and millions on ads if they didn't actually convince people to buy their ****?

So what you have in this country is a population lulled to sleep, brainwashed, and now used as justification to take away everyone else's freedom. Majority rule is pure oppression when the majority are zombies.

But have no fear, the rest of the world is paying much better attention, and will intervene in this country when the people don't. Also, most Americans I know aren't buying any of this ****. They just have to live with it presently, waiting for the inevitable fall, so that we can rebuild something that actually works.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:54 AM

564 posts, read 1,879,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The same exact thing happened when Bush was president. No right winger cared that Bush was spying on everyone, because you are "either with us or with the terrorists", isn't that right? Don't go having a holier than thou attitude on us already when your side is just as guilty as the fake left is

That's not fully correct. Mostly, but a lot of former GWB supporters were and remain horrified bout the spying, the lying, and the TruthSpeak named "Patriot Act". it takes a while for this opposition to mature, unfortunately.

OTOH, none of Obama's detractors are particularly surprised by any of this...

And saying "But BUSH did it!" is getting a bit old. Doesn't make it any less acceptable WHO did it. The fact that it has bipartisan support in Congress as frightening enough.

Sooner or later folks will wake up and realize that the left/right debate is designed to divert our attention from the truth- it's "us vs them", not "left vs right".

Old 06-12-2013, 09:59 AM

229 posts, read 293,661 times
"I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life."

- Osama Bin Laden

Old 06-12-2013, 10:56 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Most Americans fell along partisan lines on the issue then and now. The fact is the majority of Americans are stupid and/or don't care, which is why they're so easily lead.

That's right. Hitler said "how fortunate for leaders that men do not think."

This quote may be one of the very few things he ever got right.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:35 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
What methodology are you looking for beyond the questions and demographics, this is merely a random poll so can't read too much into it but generally speaking this and other polls have indicated an acceptance by citizens. They don't indicate how they selected the those voting in the poll but I am sure they would offer that.

I don't like the outcome either and am surprised how people are willing to give up freedom and allow the government to store detailed records on their lives because of terrorism. Some people have a short memory, this is the same government that got us involved in 2 senseless wars, Guantanamo, and now we are going to trust them with complete records on every citizen.
I explained my issues. I don't know that demographics were involved. Doesn't say that. Party lines is about all that is clear.

A company provided the samples to call. I don't know anything about how those were picked. I listed all the questions I have. Also the articles that were read and how they were read would have a skewing. Weighting is mentioned all over, but no explanation of how it is done. Weighting can skew results greatly.

Seriously go look at the explanation of that poll and see if you don't have all kind of questions.
http://www.people-press.org/2013/06/...out-the-survey

Polls are mostly used to shape public opinion. So I don't give them much credit as I said. One only has to see the Big/NEP arrangement to see this.

PEW has a very clear bias and history with their lobbying.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:38 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
That's right. Hitler said "how fortunate for leaders that men do not think."

This quote may be one of the very few things he ever got right.
How is it that the wingnuts know every thing that Hitler and his deputies as well as Bin Laden ever said? Do you carry the book of quotations with you or look them up as needed when responding to a post?

Old 06-12-2013, 12:18 PM

742 posts, read 678,447 times
I don't believe the percentages of this so called poll. I believe it is LIES as most are to fit an agenda. In this case to sway the public that it is alright that they are being spied on. This is to further the divide and conquer as well, with those who do not trust the NSA in it's tracking. Anyway it's a big backfire on them. There's many other sources on the net..., discussions, polls that conflict with these numbers, that basically tell otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies