U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is President George W Bush's Texas Accent for real?
It is real because he did live in TX 20 58.82%
It is a fake accent to fool the voters 14 41.18%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2007, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Land of Thought and Flow
8,321 posts, read 14,292,498 times
Reputation: 4915

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Your accent comes from your parents and other people you talk to during your first five years of life. Bush only lived in TX later in life. Its a fake!
That's not quite true. Many people tend to acquire accents of the places they live - no matter what their age is. Children are more adaptable to acquiring accents - but older people can do this as well.

For instance, my mother used to live in Florida - then moved to Missourri. Within about a year, she was speaking in a much different manner. Then she moved here. Now she doesn't talk like a mid-westerner anymore.

I don't know the specifics of it.. but what I think happens (and I've seen happen) is that when somebody moves to a new location, they hear how everyone speaks and sub-consciously attempts to mimic it (to fit in?). Eventually it no longer requires effort to "mimic" the "accent" of speech of that area - it becomes your little way of talking.

Try to talk with a british accent for a week or two and then try talking normal. You might find yourself slipping up.

However, I really don't see the point of this thread. As many people have stated, I guess we've run out of things to mock.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 11-05-2007, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Chicago
4,676 posts, read 9,422,590 times
Reputation: 3141
I think he's faked it long enough that now it's real.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-05-2007, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,193 posts, read 25,831,521 times
Reputation: 3930
This too happens. And the bottom line is now it is real...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I think he's faked it long enough that now it's real.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-05-2007, 02:19 PM
 
9,161 posts, read 9,840,662 times
Reputation: 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
That's not quite true. Many people tend to acquire accents of the places they live - no matter what their age is. Children are more adaptable to acquiring accents - but older people can do this as well.

For instance, my mother used to live in Florida - then moved to Missourri. Within about a year, she was speaking in a much different manner. Then she moved here. Now she doesn't talk like a mid-westerner anymore.

I don't know the specifics of it.. but what I think happens (and I've seen happen) is that when somebody moves to a new location, they hear how everyone speaks and sub-consciously attempts to mimic it (to fit in?). Eventually it no longer requires effort to "mimic" the "accent" of speech of that area - it becomes your little way of talking.

Try to talk with a british accent for a week or two and then try talking normal. You might find yourself slipping up.

However, I really don't see the point of this thread. As many people have stated, I guess we've run out of things to mock.
Very true, I used to have a very nice Pennslyvania Dutch accent, but now after years of living in Washington state I sound like all the rest of the mutts living in the pacific north west!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-05-2007, 02:21 PM
 
238 posts, read 1,086,668 times
Reputation: 230
Why don't George Bush's brothers and sisters have the Texas Accent?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-05-2007, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,193 posts, read 25,831,521 times
Reputation: 3930
If I know my geography, I believe at least one resides in Florida, and probably has that accent. Can't recall where the President's other siblings may be living...

And perhaps we need another thread on sibling accents?


Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Why don't George Bush's brothers and sisters have the Texas Accent?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-05-2007, 02:27 PM
 
Location: SanAnFortWAbiHoustoDalCentral, Texas
791 posts, read 2,101,674 times
Reputation: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Your accent comes from your parents and other people you talk to during your first five years of life. Bush only lived in TX later in life. Its a fake!
Are you sure of this? My sister was born and raised in Texas but moved to Pennsylvania at 18 and then a couple of years later to Massachusetts. She now has absolutely no Texas accent but sounds completely like a damn yankee (ref another post on this forum). There are times I just cannot understand her.

So, how much later in life was it the Dubya moved to Texas? Got any clues?

And BTW, if that were the case, I'd be speaking with a Portuguese accent.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-05-2007, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,193 posts, read 25,831,521 times
Reputation: 3930
Well, according to Wiki-wonder:

Bush was raised in Midland and Houston, Texas, with his four siblings, Jeb, Neil, Marvin, and Dorothy. Another younger sister, Robin, died in 1953 at the age of three from leukemia.

Shucks, he was raised in Tx...surely he isn't pretending. His father, and grand-father were raised in the East (CT) not this President....
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-05-2007, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Earth
24,629 posts, read 26,563,668 times
Reputation: 11372
I was raised in eastern Ohio and moved away at 18. People still guess that I'm from eastern Ohio if they've talked to me for any length of time. I'd say his accent is fake, just like him.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-05-2007, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Alvarado, TX
2,914 posts, read 4,488,131 times
Reputation: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Your accent comes from your parents and other people you talk to during your first five years of life. Bush only lived in TX later in life. Its a fake!
Why did you even want a poll, if your mind is already made up. Frankly, I don't care, as long as I can understand him, even with his Bushisms. Articulate in the speech department, he ain't. You need to go bash Rudy, anyway, he's the latest craze, idnhe?
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top