U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is President George W Bush's Texas Accent for real?
It is real because he did live in TX 20 58.82%
It is a fake accent to fool the voters 14 41.18%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:26 PM

66,523 posts, read 48,108,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
That would be stupid of him to fake a southern accent.

If that was the most stupid thing he'd done in the last seven years he no doubt have a much higher approval rating now.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-28-2008, 03:01 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,375,454 times
Wow, I just have to say wow! Any person with half a brain knows that President Bush's accent is the real deal. I was born and raised in Tx. and remember well when Mr. Bush was our governor. He sounds the same, all the time.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:13 PM

21,035 posts, read 20,859,495 times
Is this thread a red herring meant to keep posters from talking about the really awful things bushy has done and is doing?

So what if his accent is real or fake..unfortunately HE is all too real!

Old 02-28-2008, 03:17 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 13,417,813 times
Exactly, I honestly could not care less about his accent, where he was educated, etc. He just needs to go.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:47 PM

746 posts, read 736,379 times
It is definitely fake! Although at this point it is probably real. However, he did not sound like that when you listen to him speak when he was in his 20's. I watched a special and he was giving a speech and sounded like a typical Yankee. He was probably 25 at the time and this was long before he made the move to Texas. The accent isn't fake totally, but he definitely just started to speak that way over the last 20 years of his life.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:06 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,631,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
It is definitely fake! Although at this point it is probably real. However, he did not sound like that when you listen to him speak when he was in his 20's. I watched a special and he was giving a speech and sounded like a typical Yankee. He was probably 25 at the time and this was long before he made the move to Texas. The accent isn't fake totally, but he definitely just started to speak that way over the last 20 years of his life.
No, it was not "long before he moved to Texas." The man spent nearly his entire youth in Texas, moved away to go to school, then came back. By the time he was 25 he had spent almost 20 years of his life in Texas.

Good God people, these are readily available, easily verified facts. But believing things that conveniently fit your conclusion is easier than actually finding out simple facts, isn't it?

Old 02-28-2008, 09:15 PM

2,296 posts, read 5,941,572 times
Default Bush is a real true west Texan

No actually I'm gonna have to disagree. I was raised in Midland and Bush was too. He spent his childhood in a town where most people have a pronounced twangy accent. It is hard to get rid of, I should know, I am half German and though my accent is not as strong as someone from Dallas I do have a twang that comes across in almost everything I say. I can assure you Dubya is not faking it. George Sr. and Barbara are yankees who relocated to Midland for political and financial reasons. They would not be able to fake the Texas twang if their life depended on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Have you ever heard a conversation with the first President Bush? I have and he has no Texas accent? His mother, no accent, his brothers, no accent, his sister- no accent. All are yankees who spent most of their life in the north.

I think President George Bush Jr's accent is phoney. It is just a way to make him seem like someone from the south, so he will seem more like a regular Joe. I would like to hear from people who understand accents. Is it possible President Bush's accent is real if none of his parents and siblings have an accent?

Old 02-28-2008, 09:16 PM

No come on, please. He was raised in Midland. This should be common knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Your accent comes from your parents and other people you talk to during your first five years of life. Bush only lived in TX later in life. Its a fake!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:27 PM

Default Um, no it isn't

As I've mentioned I am from Midland and the accent is authentic. A large percentage of people who I was raised around have a similar manner of speaking and personality. It is not in any way shape form or fashion contrived. You people are not from Midland and you would not know. Now, say the previous sentence over in your head with a strong twangy accent and I think I will have made my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
His folksy personality is completely fake but garnered lots of pseudo-conservative votes.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:48 AM

7,867 posts, read 15,803,831 times
This thread is rediculous. I'm sure that his political consultants all sat around and said "gee...we know a great way of getting votes. Why don't you just fake a Texas accent for the next 8 years." Are you kidding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.