Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 06:00 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Ok Captain Hook, here's Webster's definition of assault weapon:

any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms; especially : assault rifle.

More info:
What Makes a Gun an Assault Weapon? -- Daily Intelligencer

Since I'm only interested in WWII weaponry, these are just ugly plastic/composite crap to me, but at any rate, do you want people to just be able to drive around with Gatling guns in their pickup beds?

I tell ya what.... I'll let you off the hook on all of the questions I posed to you. You linked this article, so I assume you've adopted this writers definition of an "assault-weapon" as your own. Instead of answering my previous questions, I have a new set for you. According to the writer, the law would define an assault weapon as any semi-auto operated gun that accepts a detacheable magazine AND includes any one of these features....

Quote:
Pistol grip: A grip that "protrudes conspicuously" below the
weapon, allowing the shooter to hold the rifle or shotgun like a pistol. Some
people feel the pistol grip puts their wrist in a more comfortable position.
Please explain to me how a pistol grip makes a rifle more dangerous, and why should it be banned?
Quote:

Folding, telescopic, or detachable stock: The stock is
the part of the gun that's held against the shoulder. A folding, telescopic,
or
detachable stock makes the weapon shorter so it can be stored or concealed
more
easily, and may allow the stock to be adjusted for different users.

Please tell me how a rifle having a foldable or detachable stock makes it any more dangerous than a rifle with a fixed stock?

Quote:
Grenade launcher or rocket launcher: Attachments that
allow grenades or rockets to be fired from the muzzle or a separate barrel.
These can be used to fire flares, smoke rounds, or chalk rounds. Grenades that
contain explosive material are expensive and heavily regulated, and must be registered with the federal government.
Hey fellow gun owners..... how many of you have a GRENADE or ROCKET launcher attached to your gun????? Case....and.....point....

Quote:

Barrel shroud: A ventilated covering that partially or
completely encircles the barrel of a gun. This lets the shooter hold the barrel
without being burned.
Please give an explanation as to how a Barrel Shroud makes a gun more lethal as opposed to those that don't have it?

Quote:

Thumbhole stocks: A hole that lets the shooter put the
thumb of their trigger hand through the stock. Since the grip doesn't "protrude
conspicuously" below the weapon, in some states thumbhole stocks aren't
considered pistol grips.
How do thumbhole stocks make a weapon more dangerous?

__________________________________________________ ____________

How do ANY of the above listed features make a weapon more dangerous AT ALL??? Anyone who can't see that a ban on assault weapons is just completely asinine needs they're head examined.... Either that, or they are knowingly trying to deceive people in to thinking that a ban on these weapons will tale especially dangerous weapons off the street. It won't. It will just change what the weapon looks like the next time someone decides to shoot up a school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 06:21 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper88
Please give an explanation as to how a Barrel Shroud makes a gun more lethal as opposed to those that don't have it?
It's a shoulder thing that goes up. As I'm sure Artisan would happily explain, if we legalize shoulder things that go up, that's when all hell breaks loose!!

The Shoulder Thing That Goes Up - YouTube

Old 06-14-2013, 06:24 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
We already have background checks at the retail level. Please explain how we can have universal background checks without a registry?
Go read the bill proposed by Senator Manchin there is no registry, no records retention. Indicated below is the language.

Quote:
Any person who knowingly violates (the prohibition against consolidating or
centralizing records) shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than
15 years, or both." (The threat of prison was a new layer.)

Old 06-14-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It's a shoulder thing that goes up. As I'm sure Artisan would happily explain, if we legalize shoulder things that go up, that's when all hell breaks loose!!

The Shoulder Thing That Goes Up - YouTube
Don't even get me started on that dumb &^%$* McCarthy.....

Old 06-14-2013, 06:36 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Go read the bill proposed by Senator Manchin there is no registry, no records retention. Indicated below is the language.
Then how is it enforceable?

Old 06-14-2013, 06:36 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Ok Captain Hook, here's Webster's definition of assault weapon:

any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms; especially : assault rifle.

More info:
What Makes a Gun an Assault Weapon? -- Daily Intelligencer

Since I'm only interested in WWII weaponry, these are just ugly plastic/composite crap to me, but at any rate, do you want people to just be able to drive around with Gatling guns in their pickup beds?
they do..how many people are harmed by this?

once again you are wrong about assault rifles.

THE TRUTH
ABOUT
ASSAULT
WEAPONS
To navigate, use the right arrow key on your keyboard, or swipe your touchscreen
This is an AR-15 rifle. It is the most popular rifle sold in the United States today. Millions have been sold to American citizens since 1963.

The AR-15 is the most common example of what are sometimes called assault weapons. But what does this term actually mean?
First, it is important to understand what an assault weapon isn't. The terms "assault weapon" and "assault rifle" are often confused. According to Bruce H. Kobayashi and Joseph E. Olson, writing in the Stanford Law and Policy Review:
Prior to 1989, the term "assault weapon" did not exist in the lexicon of firearms. It is a political term, developed by anti-gun publicists to expand the category of "assault rifles."

The Truth About Assault Weapons

Old 06-14-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
How can you enforce it without records retention?

Old 06-14-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
That is a relatively small percentage to control but they are very well funded and backed by the gun manufacturers. Background checks is extremely popular among voters but yet congress refuses to take any action.

The NRA is now going after Senator Manchin even though they assisted with the proposed legislation, now they changed their minds and have spent large sums of money to defeat their previously A rated NRA senator.

Background checks is common sense and reasonable legislation, its impact is minimal yet couldn't even get through the senate.

Looks like the gun legislation was vetoed by the governor even though it was supported by 80% of all voters, a similar vote will be coming up in NJ and Christie will be on the spot.
So what if we are backed by Gun Manufactures? are they not allow to air grievances?

it is not very popular among voters, only the 2000 odd voters that were sampled. who dont even know what they are..
bloomberg takes war on guns to the states-universal-background-checks-courtesy-drvino-truth
it is noting more the a registry, and there is only one of two reason to do so, to tax or to take away.

He lied...he said one thing and did another, why shouldn't the NRA and voters go after him?

It is not common sense, or reasonable to have the options of others (based on emotion) base focused on others via the legislature.

the rights of the individuals are not out to a vote or public opinions . ever for any reason

"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's . . . fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections."

West Virginia State Bd. of Ed. v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624, 638 (1943)

Old 06-14-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
and the IRS was not abusing it power, Benghazi was cause over a youtube video, the EPA is not leaking any info to extremist eco groups, the NSA is not spying on us, and Obama care was not a tax/will not affect your healthcare..we don't believe anything they say, they have blown any and and credibility.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:16 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I tell ya what.... I'll let you off the hook on all of the questions I posed to you. You linked this article, so I assume you've adopted this writers definition of an "assault-weapon" as your own. Instead of answering my previous questions, I have a new set for you. According to the writer, the law would define an assault weapon as any semi-auto operated gun that accepts a detacheable magazine AND includes any one of these features....

Please explain to me how a pistol grip makes a rifle more dangerous, and why should it be banned?

Please tell me how a rifle having a foldable or detachable stock makes it any more dangerous than a rifle with a fixed stock?

Hey fellow gun owners..... how many of you have a GRENADE or ROCKET launcher attached to your gun????? Case....and.....point....

How do thumbhole stocks make a weapon more dangerous?

__________________________________________________ ____________

How do ANY of the above listed features make a weapon more dangerous AT ALL??? Anyone who can't see that a ban on assault weapons is just completely asinine needs they're head examined.... Either that, or they are knowingly trying to deceive people in to thinking that a ban on these weapons will tale especially dangerous weapons off the street. It won't. It will just change what the weapon looks like the next time someone decides to shoot up a school.
I do I have a Ak-47 that can launch grenades... The problem is i can't buy any grenades... i hope to never own any gun with a thumb hole stock because they are butt ugly unless it is a bench gun.

I have that gun grabber you deal with in the dunce box. His opinion amounts to a pile of bovine dung.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies