Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,464 times

Advertisements

No, but it, like condoms and BC pills, give teens a false sense of security that encourages those already prone to doing stupid and irresponsible things to take even greater risks.

This statement makes no sense. Condoms and birth control don't provide a false sense of security, unless by false sense of security you mean provide demonstrable benefits like reducing risk of pregnancy and protecting the user from diseases. The two basic risks when someone engages in sexual activity are risk of pregnancy and risk of contracting an STD. Condoms and birth control usage greatly lowers these risks.

How can the same things that reduce the risks associated with having sex create an atmosphere of greater risk at the same time?

The only way that this makes any sense at all is if you believe that people should be punished for having sex, and since the use of condoms and birth control eliminate the traditional punishments of pregnancy and disease your true concern is that there is no suitable replacement punishment available that you deem appropriately damaging enough to put a halt to people having sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 04:58 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Children can purchase aspirin. There is no law against that. There is no law against a child self medicating, so, what is the issue here?

Unless, you are a control freak parent, who wants to know everything about what your teen daughter is doing, geez, do you monitor purchasing tampax?
The Plan B Absurdity: Emergency Contraception Is Treated Like A Drug That Could Be Abused - Forbes
Now that you mention it.....shouldn't teens be under the care a doctor when using tampons? Shouldn't tampons require a prescription if the teen is under the age 18?

After all.....they could get Toxic Shock Syndrome.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:03 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I'm not sure what all those other laws we create to "protect kids" have to do with what you are physically capable of doing. If anything it highlights how some of our current laws are in opposition to reality.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:46 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If there's an acute need for an appendectomy or having a broken leg set it should be carried out no matter what the parents see fit to "permit". Bad examples.
I can certainly tell you are not any kind of medical professional!
If you were a doctor or a nurse, you would know that you do NOT touch a minor child without the parents permission or a court order, except to sustain life. Even then, you do NOT perform surgery unless a parent, legal guardian, or judge has signed the consent form. It has been that way for years. When I was 12 years old, I got shot in the leg. The doctors plugged up the leak, took x-rays, then waited until my parents could be located to sign the surgery permission form before performing surgery to remove the bullet.
Ask your family doctor about treating minors, see what he/she has to say.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:10 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I can certainly tell you are not any kind of medical professional!
If you were a doctor or a nurse, you would know that you do NOT touch a minor child without the parents permission or a court order, except to sustain life. Even then, you do NOT perform surgery unless a parent, legal guardian, or judge has signed the consent form. It has been that way for years. When I was 12 years old, I got shot in the leg. The doctors plugged up the leak, took x-rays, then waited until my parents could be located to sign the surgery permission form before performing surgery to remove the bullet.
Ask your family doctor about treating minors, see what he/she has to say.
They said should. These things should happen without permission anyway.

The drinking age in the US is too high to start with. It's 19 where I live and it should be younger.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:33 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Then my idea to make parents financially responsible for their teen's children for 18 years would fit the bill.

No condoms, BC or Plan B for teens without parental consent.....and no dumping the financial responsibility for your teen's child on the taxpayers.

Letting parents off the hook is counterproductive.

If parents want responsibility then take it.......ALL OF IT.

I'm onboard.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:36 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
No problem!

You can now prescribe yourself Plan-B without a doctor or pharmacist butting into your business.

Of course you still can't smoke, drink alcohol or copulate because you're too young to make decisions about what you put in your body.

"As the father of two daughters, I think it is important for us to make sure that we apply some common sense to various rules when it comes to over-the-counter medicine," Obama said then.

Obama Plan B Decision: Feds To Comply With NY Judge's Ruling

Looks like common sense took a little vacation.
So what? Why shouldn't a teen who is being sexually molested have access to plan B? Why do you want to force her to ask permission for that from her potential sexual molester? The judge is absolutely right that this should be as easy to get as aspirin.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:48 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
No, but it, like condoms and BC pills, give teens a false sense of security that encourages those already prone to doing stupid and irresponsible things to take even greater risks.

This statement makes no sense. Condoms and birth control don't provide a false sense of security, unless by false sense of security you mean provide demonstrable benefits like reducing risk of pregnancy and protecting the user from diseases. The two basic risks when someone engages in sexual activity are risk of pregnancy and risk of contracting an STD. Condoms and birth control usage greatly lowers these risks.

How can the same things that reduce the risks associated with having sex create an atmosphere of greater risk at the same time?

The only way that this makes any sense at all is if you believe that people should be punished for having sex, and since the use of condoms and birth control eliminate the traditional punishments of pregnancy and disease your true concern is that there is no suitable replacement punishment available that you deem appropriately damaging enough to put a halt to people having sex.

They do provide a false sense of security because teens are generally not as sharp as they like to think they are...

"Teenagers' perceptions of their knowledge of proper condom use did not necessarily correspond to their actual knowledge. Adolescents with experience using condoms who believed that they knew how to use them correctly were no more likely to respond accurately to the three statements than were those with sexual experience who had never used condoms or those without sexual experience."

Young People in the United States Are Often Misinformed About the Proper Use of Condoms

Old 06-11-2013, 11:50 PM

174 posts, read 503,265 times
I don't see how not allowing them to take plan B helps things, they will have sex. Would you rather pay the tax dollars to provide for unwanted children?

Old 06-11-2013, 11:50 PM

383 posts, read 641,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
They said should. These things should happen without permission anyway.

The drinking age in the US is too high to start with. It's 19 where I live and it should be younger.
Great idea!!! Now us in the US can have kids driving around drunk and texting. Excellent idea. ~sarcasm~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies