Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 08:15 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times

Advertisements

Seriously folks, I read a book about the NSA way back in the late 60s. They were doing pretty much the same back then only it was much easier for them as the telephone comprised 99% of all communications. To start worrying about it now is a little late in the game, don't you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 08:19 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyGuy View Post
Let's face it, email, text messages, stuff you write online...

...They are all stored somewhere and from what we know NSA has access to it, for whatever purposes. Are you and your businesses going to disconnect from this electronic infrastructure? Are you going to protest the NSA hoping that it will get shut down? Or are you going to prepare and arm yourself in case they see you as a political dissident and come for you? Or maybe even a combination of those things? Or maybe you are going to do nothing, because you have nothing to hide and are not paranoid of the government.

Many businesses out there depend on this electronic infrastructure to make money, farmers, gun manufacturers, banks, the stock market, and many other things.

So what are y'all gonna do about it, tough guys?
This crap is all part of that deceptively-named, "Patriot Act" BS GW Bush came up with, right?

Old 06-11-2013, 08:41 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
SSL everywhere I can. PGP for email. OTR for instant messaging. My conversations and web browsing are unimportant and uninteresting, but it's still no one else's business what I'm talking about or viewing.

Complaining to government seems unlikely to have an effect. They've been doing this stuff for years with essentially no oversight (no, a rubber stamp "court" doesn't count) and openly lying about it to congress and the American people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Google does not and legally cannot hack into email accounts and parse.

What they save off is your search history OUTSIDE of email.
No.

Not only does google scan your email, they openly admit to doing this and use it as a selling point. How else do you think you can book a flight and have its status pop up on your smartphone without your intervention? Or how they can automatically tell you when a package will arrive.

No hacking required. No law breaking required. You consented to it when you signed up for a gmail account.

Last edited by i7pXFLbhE3gq; 06-11-2013 at 08:51 AM..

Old 06-11-2013, 08:47 AM

742 posts, read 678,678 times
Here's another lawsuit
PRISM Class

I'll be joining on ASAP, in the meantime rallies are being set up, writing our Reps, etc. BTW for those who don't know speaking up against the NSA/Prism is bi partisan.

What are you naysayers doing?
Oh right, you believe there is nothing wrong with this. Did you know your precious Patriot Act writer even believes the NSA has stepped it bounds. What does that tell you?

Ah, nothing I am sure...
Go on... Keyboard Warriors trying to intimidate the Repubs or Dems, playing "your side". Wallow in your conquer and divide. Sit on your computers, text into your phones defending tyranny. Having fun bringing down the nation, your children's and grand children's future! Aren't you special

Old 06-11-2013, 08:51 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Vote third party and keep trying to get a visa to Canada.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:58 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
LOL, the NSA reads more Canadian communications than they do American.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
SSL everywhere I can. PGP for email. OTR for instant messaging. My conversations and web browsing are unimportant and uninteresting, but it's still no one else's business what I'm talking about or viewing.

Complaining to government seems unlikely to have an effect. They've been doing this stuff for years with essentially no oversight (no, a rubber stamp "court" doesn't count) and openly lying about it to congress and the American people.
No.

Not only does google scan your email, they openly admit to doing this and use it as a selling point. How else do you think you can book a flight and have its status pop up on your smartphone without your intervention? Or how they can automatically tell you when a package will arrive.

No hacking required. No law breaking required. You consented to it when you signed up for a gmail account.
I don't have a smartphone.
And my email is not gmail.
And I have to click a link from Amazon or the purchase company to see "where my package is".

See, I have not totally embraced the digital world and have not become that total Google all user.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 AM

23,982 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You better take your heavy duty check book. They only let you stay if you invest in or hire Canadians.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:39 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Let's face it, email, text messages, stuff you write online...

...They are all stored somewhere and from what we know NSA has access to it, for whatever purposes. Are you and your businesses going to disconnect from this electronic infrastructure? Are you going to protest the NSA hoping that it will get shut down? Or are you going to prepare and arm yourself in case they see you as a political dissident and come for you? Or maybe even a combination of those things? Or maybe you are going to do nothing, because you have nothing to hide and are not paranoid of the government.

Many businesses out there depend on this electronic infrastructure to make money, farmers, gun manufacturers, banks, the stock market, and many other things.

Well, they probably already have your naked TSA images on file...

Time to take a "smoke signals" class from the Native Americans...except the drones and the satellites will probably capture the images and put them in your files.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:35 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't have a smartphone.
And my email is not gmail.
And I have to click a link from Amazon or the purchase company to see "where my package is".

See, I have not totally embraced the digital world and have not become that total Google all user.
So?

Obviously google isn't hacking into people's Yahoo accounts or whatever. They are, however, looking through everything Google users are doing on Google, and have a pretty good idea what you're doing elsewhere too, thanks to their nearly inescapable presence on other sites.

The fact that you haven't opted in doesn't mean millions of others haven't sacrificed their privacy and embraced the idea of handing over all their information to a single company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies