Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 04:00 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
How does the OP determine he was overpaid? It seems that's the going rate in the industry.
If defense contracts get cut. Booz and other companies won't be paying their employees that much.

My point is defense and health spending make up 40% of the national budget. Add the TSA blown up budget and its even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 04:01 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,734,116 times
No doubt his employer Booze Allen was probably getting 500k from the gooberment, so paying him 125-200k wasn't even a question. Military Contractors normally get 2.5 times what they pay the grunt. Now you see why the Defense budget is so high. The MIC is one of the power players in the world.

And Doc, welcome to the new middle class. I told my Hematologist 5 years ago that they would soon be targeting the medical profession for a hit. He now believes me. Worldwide Dr.'s really don't make much. They are lowering y'all just like they did the factory workers. Sorry.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:03 PM

8,628 posts, read 9,133,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Typing on smart phone.

I am just saying people complain about spending. Defense spending is just as outrageous as health care spending.

Both industries are bad. It's a dirty little secret. The DC housing market tanked in late 80s cause defense spending went down after the Cold War. So did San Diego.

Notice DC housing market was essentially unaffected by 2008-2011 housing crash? Wonder why? We all know. U cut defense (and security) spending u crash the housing market there.
My house overlooks Fort Belvoir by a few miles and I'm minutes from the new General Dynamics facility and the new Geo Spacial Intel agency. My home dropped in price $200,000 during the crash. It did effect many but I will say many who are senior employees do make 6 figures and or damn close to it.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:04 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,519,572 times
I've been telling people for years now that there are too many civilians getting paid 3X as much as military and DOD workers working on bases and in other government locations. this happens because these companies make campaign donations and get rewarded with government contracts. a lot of the jobs these people are doing could be done by people already on the government's payroll. it's really ridiculous when you drive up to a military base and there are civilian security guards running the gate.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:10 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
No doubt his employer Booze Allen was probably getting 500k from the gooberment, so paying him 125-200k wasn't even a question. Military Contractors normally get 2.5 times what they pay the grunt. Now you see why the Defense budget is so high. The MIC is one of the power players in the world.

And Doc, welcome to the new middle class. I told my Hematologist 5 years ago that they would soon be targeting the medical profession for a hit. He now believes me. Worldwide Dr.'s really don't make much. They are lowering y'all just like they did the factory workers. Sorry.
Yep. I agree. Sad thing is people don't realize physican salaries make up less than 9% of total health care spending. There are a lot of middle guys in the medical business (insurance , big pharma, device makers etc). Everyone wants a cut.

Problem is u cut the middle guys out. Unemployment will skyrocket. Same thing as defense spending cuts.

That's why lawmakers talk tough about spending cuts but they aren't serious about either medical or defense spending. They know what jobs will be lost with cuts in either industry.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:11 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I've been telling people for years now that there are too many civilians getting paid 3X as much as military and DOD workers working on bases and in other government locations. this happens because these companies make campaign donations and get rewarded with government contracts. a lot of the jobs these people are doing could be done by people already on the government's payroll. it's really ridiculous when you drive up to a military base and there are civilian security guards running the gate.
I agree with this, we contract out too much military work that ends up costing us more just so someone in Congress can scratch someone's back.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:20 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,519,572 times
I think my husband hopes to do something similar to what he does now in the military in the civilian world after he retires. (not sure, some days he says he's just going to go to school after retiring.) many people who he used to work with who got out do pretty much the same work and make double what he makes. I'm not saying there is no need for civilian contractors on bases and in government, but there needs to be an assessment of what we really need and what is just waste.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:25 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,382 times
This guy worked for the FED first and makes him very valuable to Booze Allen. My wife is a FED accountant and could increase her pay significantly by hooking up with a contractor and they would love to have her. She likes the job security and benefits of being a federal employee better.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:26 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I agree with this, we contract out too much military work that ends up costing us more just so someone in Congress can scratch someone's back.
We contract so many services that government workers or uniformed military on crappy salaries (with perhaps good benefits) used to do. There is no efficiency gain as the whole thing is just as insular and noncompetitive as the government is. It ends up costing much more to do things this way, but politicians get to claim they are cutting government payrolls while, at the same time, getting their pockets lined by private firms seeking to fleece the government. A house cleaning is in order, but whom do we turn to? There are no honest men or women left in government.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:30 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
This would be the first time I have ever seen a physician type like that.
Despite what you may have heard, they are only human. I hear their writing is atrocious. So what? Nice dodge away from the topic.
His saying he is a doctor has nothing to do with the complete lack of accountability this gov't has to the taxpayers. I think it's apparent that our government and all it's 'stakeholders' are intentionally pursuing the financial collapse of this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies