Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 10:40 PM

131 posts, read 209,824 times

Advertisements

As the idea of one being able to do anything they put their mind to in our Great country, America, vanishes as if it was ever there for the youth we all realize that it isn't completely true. Rewinding a few months back, a major news conglomerate produced a report that the US is actually producing about 1,000 millionaires a day, therefore there isn't a lack of success within our nation as we all should know. So might I ask, what is the problem that our youth are encountering that has put them in a mindset similar to a horse tied to a plastic chair? Might I propose the lack of inspiration. As the past few generations were, Generation Y has mainly found inspiration within popular culture; but what divides our generation and past generations in regards to the pop culture is that its literally unavoidable for most. Imagine being a 16 year old whose father is nowhere to be found, your mother is working a job or two just to manage and the public assistance that is being received in your home just doesn't seem to be enough, then factor in your local 'idols' as well who happen to be wrapped up in a illegal hustle. What exactly would you, a lower-income 16 year old do?

Once you come to grips with the reality that many of the youth, including myself formerly, face everyday, you realize that something must be done to essentially re-wire them into becoming an actual producing member of society. Now I'm not suggesting that my life is nearly as tough as the 16-year old life, but nonetheless as many other people of my generation, hell even past generations have faced, I'm facing hardships. I keep asking myself "how can I motivate myself?", "how can I become one of those 1,000 millionaires being made daily", and "with my knowledge, why am I not doing more with my life?" and the simple answer to all those is the lack of motivation. Some people are motivated by their parents, others are motivated by money, well as bad as this may sound, I'm not motivated by either. I'm the type of guy that is motivated by others whom are successful which may not mean financially wealthy, but at least happy with themselves.

In my life I've only found about two people who truly have inspired me, one passed away, the other is changing the future right before our eyes, but the sad reality is that inspiration can only bring but so much out of people like myself. We need real life mentors whom are successful, not just icons such as Tupac Shakur or Elon Musk (both of which have inspired me in different ways) but real life characters. Now we don't all live in wealthy or highly-educated regions, but every community beholds a few people that are successful in life and those are the people who need to get out and inspire us. We need inspiration directly infront of us, someone we can recieve advice from rather its financially, spiritually, mentally, physically, or whatever else one may need.

Back in Raleigh, where I formerly lived, many people were scouting to become paid-mentors solely because the field paid exceptionally well, and while some of the people actually inspired the youth, plenty also just did it for the money. So here I propose a different approach to helping the youth in a way that almost exists today. You all know how charity/donations leads to tax-breaks? Well how about we create a 'loop-hole' or tax-credit for those whom are successful to essentially have a tax-break to mentor with the youth. What do you all think of that? I don't mind having the wealthier individuals pay less-taxes if they could attempt to benefit the youth a bit more. Yes, scholarships are nice but not every person, including myself, are ready for college or some simply don't want to go to college therefore if the youth actually has a successful mentor there to help guide them, maybe they can inspire the youth to do well in school while also being there for them en route.

I know this post may seem off the wall to some, but I'm a guy always looking for solutions and its better to propose something rather than complaining that the youth simply don't want to do anything with their lives. I believe most of us want to do something with our lives, but we just don't have the map to get to where we want.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to your responses and proposals.

I would like to apologize for the length of this, but hopefully every word is meaningful to one other individual that reads this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 07:28 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
I have always said that if the school system had majority males, the government would step in and say its not fair. they would somehow offer incentives to entice women to become teachers.
I say the government/state need to even the playing field and have the same amount of male teachers. Male teachers can be role model and mentors to these students. (not all of them) (nor am i saying women cant).
That is one way. Then i think the state/government puts too much money on pre-k programs. It is not those kids that are dropping out. Hit the middle/highschool level, offer, actually make mandatory, a summer program for kids with low grades.
this program will be giving businesses tax credit for taking a 16+ yr old and pairing him/her up with a worker to go work. AC tech, electrician, plumber etc... it can be geared toward trade jobs, we need to stop telling these kids that they need college. Or that they can be anything they want, we know that is a lie.
many kids become lazy and dont even want to work hard. these kids are hungry for a mentor, they need someone to encourage and inspire them. they need someone real, who they can relate to. Sport, music, and tv personalities are not real, the chances of kids making it to that level is slim.
one big problem with this is the Tax credit, people will be against it, claim " the rich man" trying to get over. they rather have the poor kids looking to gang member, rather than giving tax credit to the businesses.
This is just wishful thinking though. I really believe that keeping the kids the way they are is the way it is going to be. nobody really cares. we need to take those around us and try to be motivators and encouragers. the government system will never approach this issue.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:08 PM

131 posts, read 209,824 times
I agree with your entire post for the most part. Having a child grow up in dire circumstances is pretty bad, but once that child becomes a teenager they need to have someone that can inspire them who is a real person in their lives. I'm usually against tax-credits aimed specifically at certain demographics, but in this case it's needed. I don't mind giving a business a tax-credit for hiring someone for the summer who was probably going to be a trouble maker; it's better to pay for a tax-credit as opposed to a jail sentence.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:03 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
I think we need to change high school so that in 9th grade we look at the student's grades and see where we figure out a way to see if students would rather enter trades than college. The fact is we producing too many college students and graduates but not enough people in trades. Within the next 20 years, over 50% of the current trade workers will be retired or looking to retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies