Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 09:21 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Walmart put Main street out of business.

Greedy local store owners put themselves out of business. They are slowly coming back by returning to their core reason for existing which is to provide a better value than the competiton by offering better service for the price charged. "Main street" will never be able to compete on price alone.

When I was younger, I worked at one of the very first Staples stores here in Northern Virginia as a part-time stock person in the evenings. Why would anyone in their right mind pay Ginns Office Supply $2.00 EACH for a ball point pen when you could get an entire box of them for 63 cents? People were paying that because there were very few other places to go and all charged similar prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 09:40 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why am I subsidizing Walmart employees when the company is making billions in profits?

Wal-Mart Stores - Fortune 500 - WMT
They made $15.7 BILLION in profits.

So tell me, why am I subsidizing a company that made $15.7 BILLION in profit in 2011?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Wal-Mart has the profits to pay its employees more. Small businesses do not. They are not complaining about the pay rate per say, but the pay rate in comparison to their profit margins.

It's not like they don't have enough money. Hell, the HEIRS, have more wealth then the bottom 47% of the country combined!!
you need to realize that much of those profits that wal mart posted were from overseas operations. second those profits are generated store by store and not as a whole company, though they are posted as what the whole company made. each store has to be self sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Is California going to get on the case of all other retailers as well? Or are they just doing this for show?
they are showboating as usual. wal mart is an easy target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
There's a lot of truth to that. Walmart provides a lot jobs to people who might not find work elsewhere. Also, workers there can go to community colleges to seek new skills. I'm one of the rare liberals who doesn't mind shopping at Walmart and who also defends the company.
good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Walmart put Main street out of business.
that may be, but wal mart did it the old fashioned way, they earned it. they made the deals to get store prices down, and in most areas when a wal mart moved into the area, some mom and pop stores did close, but those people then went to work for wal mart for about the SAME wages as the mom and pops paid, so no loss there, but a net gain in jobs of about 250.

take the wal mart in luray for instance, there was a loss of 50 jobs from the mom and pop stores that were already on the brink of closing, but wal mart there hired 300 employees. not only that but they paid property taxes, generated sales taxes, etc. that wal mart has been good for that area.

one thing that some complain about when a wal mart goes in is that wal mart doesnt hire locals to build the stores, i counter with, when wal mart goes into a small town, how many contractors can handle not only building the stores, but doing on wal marts timetable?

Old 06-12-2013, 09:46 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
The owners of Walmart are disgustingly rich...however, they should be ashamed, and people need to call them out on they're greed.

As a walmart employee, they work you minimum hours so they don't have to pay you benefits, however, you are told, "that cart over there needs to be emptied before you go home", so, if that employee only has 10 minutes left to work, and they don't stay and work over time and finish it, they are told, they can be replaced, because they have so many people waiting to work. And, they don't pay them overtime....period!

The greed in this country is so bad I am ashamed....and what bothers me, is Walmart uses people like slaves...however, things always have a way of coming full circle, and one day, there will be jobs once again, and Walmart will be left with all these stores and no one to work in them...

Awful!!!

Old 06-12-2013, 09:51 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

................The greed in this country is so bad I am ashamed....and what bothers me, is Walmart uses people like slaves...however, things always have a way of coming full circle, and one day, there will be jobs once again, and Walmart will be left with all these stores and no one to work in them...

Awful!!!
So more than one million Americans decide that the highest and best use of their time is to go punch in at Walmart every single workday....they have no superior offers for the sale of their labor....all things considered, Walmart is offering each one of them the best opportunity available to them....and you think it is akin to slavery??!?

The stupidity in this country is so bad I am ashamed.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:00 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But what you said was

There isnt any other state with more poverty than California.

So?
So? The article says that under the traditional calculation, which is 16.3%, is that it puts California right next to a lot of other states who have less taxes and less regulation. Also, the map disproves a correlation between states who have higher taxes and more regulation with having a higher poverty rate.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:08 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
The owners of Walmart are disgustingly rich...however, they should be ashamed, and people need to call them out on they're greed.

As a walmart employee, they work you minimum hours so they don't have to pay you benefits, however, you are told, "that cart over there needs to be emptied before you go home", so, if that employee only has 10 minutes left to work, and they don't stay and work over time and finish it, they are told, they can be replaced, because they have so many people waiting to work. And, they don't pay them overtime....period!

The greed in this country is so bad I am ashamed....and what bothers me, is Walmart uses people like slaves...however, things always have a way of coming full circle, and one day, there will be jobs once again, and Walmart will be left with all these stores and no one to work in them...

Awful!!!

Baloney. You are not entitled to OT pay until you work 40 hours of regular time.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:11 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
You can never find an employee and you typically need their help because the store is one big disaster zone.

I'd rather pay more money to go to a decent store.
Wal-Mart dealt with the recession by cutting back associates. That they still can't afford hiring them back is an indication of the economic stress the country is facing.

Going to a different retailer is one way to voice your dissatisfaction.
Another, would be to complain directly to the top brass. Since Sam Walton "left the building", W-M has been sliding down the slope of decline in quality and service.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:

Awful!!!
I really wish CostCo would move into their market. They have a much better business model and actually care about their employees and the community.

Their CEO isn't money hungry and surprisingly has much less ego than a lot of these posters.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:17 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:

Awful!!!
Not really. There will always be the semi uneducated who drop out of school in the 10th grade and have very few job skills.

Most end up mowing lawns, burger flippers, going to jail.
At least with WalMart, Home Depot, Target, Lowes they've got a chance of getting ahead at a decent job.

Those cashiers at Mom & Pop stores always worked for minimum wage with no benefits.
That group of people will always exist. They are lucky someone provides them any work at all.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:40 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Baloney. You are not entitled to OT pay until you work 40 hours of regular time.
or more than ten hours in one day at the same job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies