Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:37 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times

Advertisements

A bit of all three. We, as a society, really are filled with drooling idiots though. You can see that is true just by watching the clown car show which was the Republican Presidential primary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 10:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Are Americans too clueless, numb or apathetic to give a damn anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
So take your pick of any/all of the issues. NSA, the IRS scandal, Big Brother, gas being almost $ 5.00 a gallon, the hypocrisy of all the politicians.......(to name just a few)
Why aren't more people paying attention?
I just talked to someone yesterday who didn't know any of the latest news.
Is this country that out of touch, & if so -I guess Big Brother's job was well done.

Most adult Americans are concerned with their jobs, friends, and family; in other words, their lives. They aren't all that tuned into political events until there's a major election campaign. When they do start paying attention, they tend not to be hyperpartisan dittoheads who share the right wing's irrational hatred of this president. And they also tend to tune out exaggerated hyperbole. Like $5/gal gas prices.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:46 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
So take your pick of any/all of the issues. NSA, the IRS scandal, Big Brother, gas being almost $ 5.00 a gallon, the hypocrisy of all the politicians.......(to name just a few)
Is this country that out of touch, & if so -I guess Big Brother's job was well done.

Judging by the comments just on C-D alone, I don't see the apathy.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:48 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Apathy and cynical.

They know that the country's messed up because of both political parties, they're just too apathetic to do anything about it.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:50 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
They are apathetic and obvlious. Too preoccupied with things that don't matter: reality shows, getting drunk on the weekends, what they are going to wear to a party. I think a lot of them are extremely complacent, too.

Not to mention a lot of people don't even bother learning history and their rights. They don't even know the government is trampling on their rights. It is too bad. We have people who lost their lives for this country back in the day and apparently it was all in vain.
this is part of the problem. the bigger issue though is an administration compliant drive by media. they show up, get incensed about something, then just as the people are getting going on the suject, the media moves onto other things. the media and the people tend to have a short attention span because of this. we still dont have answers about benghazi, but now its "old news", same with the IRS deal, among other things. heck we dont even talk much about government overspending anymore.

its like the average american just doesnt care........oh look butterflies.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:51 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
We are just not as paranoid maybe?
and where is gas almost 5 dollars a gallon?

Old 06-12-2013, 10:52 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
They are apathetic and obvlious. Too preoccupied with things that don't matter: reality shows, getting drunk on the weekends, what they are going to wear to a party. I think a lot of them are extremely complacent, too.

Not to mention a lot of people don't even bother learning history and their rights. They don't even know the government is trampling on their rights. It is too bad. We have people who lost their lives for this country back in the day and apparently it was all in vain.
"They" call that being progressive.

Is The Kardashians on? American Idol? Those types of things explain the low IQ of Americans these days. A lot of people think reality TV is real. America is dumbed down to the single digits.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:04 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
I think people are becoming increasingly cynical and apathetic because they see a government that only represents and works for special interests and feel they can't do anything to change things and feel helpless. When poll after poll shows people overwhelmingly against a certain policy, and then congress or the president does it or passes it anyway, people tune out. We aren't given decent quality candidates to vote for, because what decent person would run in this corrupted political and media system?

The corruption, the incompetence, and the greed in politics and the main stream media is just too overwhelming for most people to keep tuning into, so they escape with all the various distractions available.

I didn't agree with some of the 60s protests, but at least they got out and tried to do something to change things.

I also think this why there are so many doomsday/apocalyptic type shows and movies out lately--people feel a sense of doom and helplessness that things in America have gotten out of control and both parties are responsible.

Last edited by mountainrose; 06-12-2013 at 11:13 AM..

Old 06-12-2013, 11:08 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I think people are becoming increasingly cynical and apathetic because they see a government that only represents and works for special interests and feel they can't do anything to change things and feel helpless.
I don't doubt that that is what a lot of people feel, but of course the reality is that their own personal priorities are themselves special interests, and so what they're feeling helpless about is the inability to insinuate their own personal priorities to the exclusion of the personal priorities of people who disagree with them.

Quote:
When poll after poll shows people overwhelmingly against a certain policy, and then congress does it or passes it anyway, people tune out.
Let's test your rhetoric: Which policy are you referring to, that Congress passed right after "poll after poll shows people overwhelmingly against" that policy.

Quote:
We aren't given decent quality candidates to vote for, because what decent person would run in this corrupted system?
Here you've raised a very valid issue. The way we Americans treat our public officials it is a wonder we get anyone to run for office.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:19 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
I quite frankly just don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies