Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 01:55 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
You were lucky. If you are stopped for any reason, aren't you asked for drivers license, tag receipt (whatever they call it) and insurance card? Lack any 1 of the 3 and you are in trouble.
Yes, of course. It's law in this state to have car insurance now & there are minimums that you must have. I'm just saying even though I didn't have insurance, I still drove. So that's not going to deter anyone from driving whether they're drunk or texting while driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 12:21 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,548,972 times
okay why enforce no texting and driving but install computer screens in the newer vehicles?

Old 06-28-2013, 12:23 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,994,436 times
Texting, eating, yelling at your kids in the back seat, playing with the radio, having your mutt run around the car, yacking with your friends etc. etc. etc. all distractions while driving. If the state really wanted to make the roads safe they would mandate cars have one seat and a windshield and that is it. They wouldn't be able to fine people though and generate revenues which is what it's really all about.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:44 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
okay why enforce no texting and driving but install computer screens in the newer vehicles?
THANK YOU! I think this trend is ridiculous and dangerous. I recall one commercial (cant remember the car) that excitedly told how you can download PICTURES to the central screen. Just what we need, to be able to scroll through photos while we drive! I recently heard about another car maker which is putting all controls on the computer screen, even windshield wipers. Is it really so hard to turn on wipers now? It's just a flick of my wrist, why is it better for me to scroll through screens to find them (which I probably wouldn't be able to read without my reading glasses anyway).

Old 08-03-2013, 11:00 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,224,235 times
Texting while driving doesn't apply to these bums that are above the law: Tempe motorcycle cop caught texting while riding

Old 08-03-2013, 11:57 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
I don't think it should be made illegal. I think if you get into an accident while texting or drinking, you should be considered uninsurable. No insurance company should take you on as a customer after that. Obviously, you don't take driving seriously and should never be trusted again.
But what about their victims?

I know of someone who was guilty of nothing more than stopping at a red light on his motorcycle and was put in a wheel chair and ultimately a premature death by the jabbering driver who ran him down. I'm sure this is not an isolated incident.

How many victims are acceptable before preventive measures are taken?

Old 08-03-2013, 12:03 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
There are numerous cases where texting lead to manslaughter charges, so it does happen. There are apps that block texting while in motion. I think they will be part of the phone's operating system in the near future.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:07 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There are numerous cases where texting lead to manslaughter charges, so it does happen. There are apps that block texting while in motion. I think they will be part of the phone's operating system in the near future.
Followed closely no doubt by an app that disables the text blocking app. Where there's a buck to be made someone's gonna do it.

While those apps may be a step in the right direction, no amount of manslaughter charges will bring the slain back to life. Maybe it's time obtaining a driver's license was a little more difficult than making a 'K'-turn and parallel parking the car.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:09 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Followed closely no doubt by an app that disables the text blocking app. Where there's a buck to be made someone's gonna do it.
Possibly, but most people are not( or do not have the know-how) going to screw with the phone's OS and risk bricking it. My car locks out input of navigation changes while in motion. It drives me nuts, and there is a "fix". But I haven't purchased it and probably won't. We adjust. Eventually, the vast majority of us will just adjust to the fact that we can't text and drive anymore.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:16 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I dont think a lot of you are getting the point of my post. My point is that someone who has been drinking and kills someone in an accident is charged with involuntary manslaughter and sent to year behind bars. Someone who is texting and driving or eating and driving doesn't receive the same sentence.
It's probably just a matter of the laws not being caught up with the technology. Drinking and driving has been around for 100+ years, texting and driving for 10 or so. Laws change slowly, as they should to avoid unintended consequences - such as NY banning guns the police use in their haste to restrict citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies