Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:15 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You keep whining about how poor you are, how can you not be qualified?

a bachelors degree makes one ineligible for pell grants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
i have major financial issues which prevent me from getting a license, i already know how to drive.
What did they do, yank your license of child support or something similar?

135 posts, read 137,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Hunger has a way or working.
The problem with hunger is that it has a large chance of making things worse. I'd be VERY careful about making people hungry, especially people that have grown up in today's society.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:16 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyGuy View Post
That's a very LARGE part of the population, isn't it? Republicans seem very focused on this issue and that focus distracts them from the larger issues like the fact that both parties are working towards making a bigger and bigger government.
Yes, and that was my point. But the people on Medicaid and food stamps are not people who are sitting around on their behinds. They are largely the working poor, who are not paid enough wages to enable them to survive, and the unemployed who cannot find a job when there are 4 applicants for every job.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
a bachelors degree makes one ineligible for pell grants
You have a bachelors degree, and you still cant make an adaquate living? Man, thats pathetic..

Old 06-12-2013, 06:18 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You have access to the largest free educational system on the planet. BRIC is making sure 3.3 billion people will have access to that same system and it's far cheaper than subsidizing 70% of the population who won't remember tomorrow what they learned in government funded schools.

The reality is that we waste hundreds of billions of dollars every year educating people that are getting dumber each year.
There are people who want to learn and are good at it, and those who go to school (college) because people want them to. Some people aren't cut out for it, and that is fine. Honestly, I forgot much of what I was taught in public school, and I went to, arguably, some of the best public schools in the nation. I learned more about common sense than anything else. I think that helped me. And, yes, there are a lot of stupid people out there. We still have the best higher education system in the world, which is a great asset.

Quote:
It is my understanding, as a tutor, that people with a working brain and body has the capacity to be intelligent. If you teach them how to properly use that intelligence, and motivate them to use that intelligence, an ordinary person could empower themselves that much more.

...Problem is, our education system doesn't teach people how to use their intelligence.
To a degree, yes. I graduated high school with three people who scored perfect on their ACT. Phenomenally brilliant people who all dropped out of college. To this day, they are they most intelligent people I've met and they screwed it up because they couldn't harness it. It almost happened to me, but I guess I was lucky not to score perfect.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:18 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
The problem with hunger is that it has a large chance of making things worse. I'd be VERY careful about making people hungry, especially people that have grown up in today's society.
Well we're going to need a huge military here in the very near future. They won't go hungry in the Resource Wars (so long as we win).

Old 06-12-2013, 06:19 PM

135 posts, read 137,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You have a bachelors degree, and you still cant make an adaquate living? Man, thats pathetic..
A bachelors degree is just a paper. Not too long ago, that's all employers cared about, but as time went on, they wanted different things. Unfortunately, for this gentleman, he lives in a time where it's more than the paper that's needed.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:19 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Of course they will. I'd actually be for welfare if it was attached to some sort of works program like FDR's programs. Crap, let's call them reeducation camps just for fun. Hell, I don't even care if you call them gulags. It's ridiculous to give people money (or food or whatever) and all they need to learn is how to fill out the forms to better fit the possibility of getting more benefits.

Tire them out to the point where they don't even have the time to figure out how to game the system. When they get sick of that they'll learn, on their off time, how to get out of that life. If they ask for help all we need to do is ask for help from them in return.

Let us not forget that Tesla dug ditches while he was writing revolutionary papers and patents that would literally transform the nation and the world.
Thats a good point. I've wondered quite a bit why the WPA and the CCC weren't restarted. Lot of jobs building/repairing/updating infrastructure around the country.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
A bachelors degree is just a paper. Not too long ago, that's all employers cared about, but as time went on, they wanted different things. Unfortunately, for this gentleman, he lives in a time where it's more than the paper that's needed.
It seems that tens of millions of americans seem to not have that same problem.. I've never received any degree, nope, not a problem..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies