Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 04:44 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Conservatives have mixed expectations in this area. Conservative George Gilder, in Wealth and Poverty (1984), noted that recipients of state General Assistance (GA) programs (basically, childless adults not eligible for federal welfare programs) tend to be poorly qualified for employment; Gilder described many GA recipients as "halt and lame". Gilder had no expectation that cutting back or eliminating GA programs would move recipients from the dole into jobs.

In 1991, the newly elected governor of Michigan quickly delivered on his campaign promise to end the state's GA program, which paid recipients not quite $200 per month. Recipients also had some bare-bones version of Medicaid called "GA Medicaid" - which for some was undoubtedly more attractive than the cash benefits.

A year later, one of the major newspapers attempted to find out what happened to the former recipients. As best they could tell, about 17 percent of the former recipients had jobs, many others had moved back into their parents' basement or went on disability (sound familiar?) which actually paid much better than GA ever did, or could not be found. Two former recipients were found dead after the abandoned house in which they were squatting had a fire in the middle of the winter.
I don't think people realize that "welfare" can actually save money.

I am thinking about programs that house the homeless, since people are probably not aware of how many resources homeless eat up in terms of police, medical, and courts. However, stick them in a subsidized apartment, and not only are they more likely to get a job and deal with their issues (be they mental or drug), but you free up other resources and actually save money.

So, I'd like to see a pragmatic rather than dogmatic approach. What works best, what saves us the most money?..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 04:44 PM

134 posts, read 276,257 times
I would think a good portion of those on welfare have no motivation to work. If that's taken away from them, how the hell are they going to go about face, go to school, and start working and taking responsibility? My guess is they would find other means to survive *cough* committing even more crimes *cough*

There will always be people that have no shame. It's unfortunate.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:46 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
True, but there is a long term solution.

Very very true! but someone in power ought to give a damn, about finding long term solutions. Instead of always taking the easy street out?

Old 06-12-2013, 04:46 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Where do I sign up?
Its called a pell grant application

Old 06-12-2013, 04:48 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Where do I sign up?
Start here.

MDCD - PATH, formerly JET
Michigan Community College Association :: Michigan New Jobs Training Program
Job Training Programs: Michigan Job Training Programs

Old 06-12-2013, 04:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
We have to wait until we decrease the surplus population... Globalization makes it easier to have work performed elsewhere for a lower cost. The baby boomers grew up in a world where 20% of the world population controlled 80% of the wealth, but we are switching to a period where 35% of the world controls 65% of the wealth. Opportunities still exist, but maybe not as many in the west as there used to be.

The vast majority of people are still making more than min wage though.

But...but...conservatives say there is lots and lots and lots of opportunity.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:51 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
But...but...conservatives say there is lots and lots and lots of opportunity.
Depends on where you start out. Romney's kids have lots and lots of opportunity.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:58 PM

You have to be hired by an eligible employer before you can get paid training. I'm pretty close to retirement age, so I can't imagine why an employer wouldn't hire an equally-qualified worker half my age.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its called a pell grant application

I'm not eligible, so that is a gigantic fail. (but not epic)

Old 06-12-2013, 05:02 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
What some of you are missing is that taxes and regulation have something to do with the lack of jobs. For example, one poster noted the lack of jobs in Ill. I'm sure he's correct. But consider that Ill has a very corrupt govt., in some cases requires campaign contributions. Also consider that they just increased the income tax, plus their state govt. is in deep debt. That is not going to encourage business to expand or hire. Some are leaving Ill. because of the problem. This recession/depression is very different, depending on where you live. Texas, Ok. Neb. Fl. ND are doing pretty good. These are low tax states with governments that are low regulation, low tax. So businesses move there and there is growth and expansion. Not only that, but because of the attractive environment, businesses from other countries are building and moving to these places. Its not rocket science. If you create an environment that encourages captialism, you will get growth. IMHO, most people would prefer a job to a handout. That will do more to get people off the state checks than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies