Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:08 PM

135 posts, read 137,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm not eligible, so that is a gigantic fail. (but not epic)
Why are you not eligible?

Did you waste it?
Do you make too much money?

...Are you too young and/or a dependent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 06:13 PM

6,514 posts, read 7,509,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
There are more people than there are jobs. The unemployment statistics you read are very misleading. In my home county, there's an agriculture city with an official unemployment rate over 20%. You really think fast food joints and big box stores are hiring that many people?
That is only going to get worse in developed economies. Automation and digitization will only eliminate more jobs. Our scientific progress will make us unemployed.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
That is only going to get worse in developed economies. Automation and digitization will only eliminate more jobs. Our scientific progress will make us unemployed.
Our scientific progress can make us just as employed as it can make us unemployed. If people took the time to educate themselves, we could make enough innovation to provide services to the rest of the world.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:19 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,305,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyGuy View Post
Why are you not eligible?

Did you waste it?
Do you make too much money?

...Are you too young and/or a dependent?

1) i have a bachelors degree which makes me ineligible for a pell grant

2) i have student loans in default (hey, i live on a poverty level income and am paying 10% of my income on the loans) which makes me ineligible.

i definitely don't make too much money...it's more like i make too little money.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
1) i have a bachelors degree which makes me ineligible for a pell grant

2) i have student loans in default (hey, i live on a poverty level income and am paying 10% of my income on the loans) which makes me ineligible.

i definitely don't make too much money...it's more like i make too little money.

you have an education already...

...Why don't you use it?

Old 06-12-2013, 06:24 PM

31,285 posts, read 20,621,843 times
Quote:
What's the long term solution then? The economy seems to have clogged up on all sectors.
Phase out government welfare and teach our children from a young age how to live responsibly and within their means.

It would take years and years to change our Big Government entitlement culture to one of responsibility but it could be done. However, it never will be done or even attempted.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
you have an education already...

...Why don't you use it?

because no employer wants to hire someone with a useless liberal arts degree and no marketable skills for a job that requires an education.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:27 PM

31,285 posts, read 20,621,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Depends on where you start out. Romney's kids have lots and lots of opportunity.
No, it doesn't. I have lots of friends and family that started with nothing. Some don't have a college degree, but they own their home and are doing fine.

Millions of Americans start with nothing and make a comfortable life for themselves.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Phase out government welfare and teach our children from a young age how to live responsibly and within their means.

It would take years and years to change our Big Government entitlement culture to one of responsibility but it could be done. However, it never will be done or even attempted.

shouldn't low-wage workers then have the increased range of housing options that reduced regulation would afford them?

Old 06-12-2013, 06:29 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,137,125 times
The children would suffer. It is that simple, so no we can not eliminate welfare benefits. What we can do is make it workfare. Let society get something in return for the money we spend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies