Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 09:15 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
It's a stupid way to dress. Most of the kids who wear their pants like that do not realize, they are emulating a prisoner.

The reason for sagging pants were prison clothes a few sizes too large and lack of belts.

I cannot figure out why someone would want to look like an inmate of the penal system.

It is stupid indeed. However; do we really need more nanny state laws? As Happy Texan said.... what's next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 09:15 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,973 times
well, look at it this way, some places ban public nudity so yes the 'nanny state' can regulate how you dress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
As obnoxious as it looks, do we really need more nanny state laws?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:04 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
What part of the constitution does it violate? You have no constitutional right to be naked in public.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:50 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
It is stupid indeed. However; do we really need more nanny state laws? As Happy Texan said.... what's next?
Again, it is not a "nanny state" law, it's a business decision made by one city's council in order to change their image and attract a different kind of customer to their boardwalk and to eliminate one factor that their market research told them was preventing that kind of customer from wanting to vacation there. The state had nothing to do with it. To me it is more akin to "no shoes, no shirt, no service" than a nanny state thing. It is a ban in a business district, the boardwalk, not the entire town.

Almost all boardwalks have different things that are banned, some ban smoking, some ban alcohol, some ban dogs, the boardwalk in my town bans bare feet. What is so different about this, and why are the business owners who want this and voted for this considered nanny staters?

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-15-2013 at 07:02 AM..

Old 06-15-2013, 10:40 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Whoever repped me and called me an ignorant n***, first of all I'm WHITE! Secondly, have the stones to offer a rebuttal to my post if you take issue with it, instead of hiding behind the reputation feature to name call!

Old 06-15-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Whoever repped me and called me an ignorant n***, first of all I'm WHITE! Secondly, have the stones to offer a rebuttal to my post if you take issue with it, instead of hiding behind the reputation feature to name call!
Don't feel bad, yesterday I got a rep that called me a "stupid mexican-loving b**ch". Most likely the same person, spreading sushine whereever he goes. Got to love it, if you can't articulate an intelligent response, just resort to name-calling.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:48 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentina- View Post
It is constitutional. While at it, ban Islamic burqas and niqabs for safety reason.
Lets just ban people we are frightened of.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:03 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again, it is not a "nanny state" law, it's a business decision made by one city's council in order to change their image and attract a different kind of customer to their boardwalk and to eliminate one factor that their market research told them was preventing that kind of customer from wanting to vacation there. The state had nothing to do with it. To me it is more akin to "no shoes, no shirt, no service" than a nanny state thing. It is a ban in a business district, the boardwalk, not the entire town.

Almost all boardwalks have different things that are banned, some ban smoking, some ban alcohol, some ban dogs, the boardwalk in my town bans bare feet. What is so different about this, and why are the business owners who want this and voted for this considered nanny staters?
Because their claim is indecent exposure. If not, then their claim is based on discrimination.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Because their claim is indecent exposure. If not, then their claim is based on discrimination.
Discrimination towards who? If you believe this ban was aimed toward African Americans, you would be mistaken, as the majority of kids hanging out on the Wildwood boardwalk are middle-class white kids.

There is no constitutional right to dress however you want anywhere you want, and why should someone who doesn't even live there or visit and spend money there have more right to define indecent exposure for them than they do? This is a city whose economy is entirely based on tourism, and their customers have been telling them what they do not like when they come spend their money there and asking them to do something about it.

"Wildwood passed a law Wednesday night banning overly saggy pants on the boardwalk, prompted by numerous complaints from longtime visitors about having to see people's rear ends hanging out in public."

What's more, why shouldn't the citizens and business owners have the freedom to decide for themselves what is best for their town? Why even have city councils or local governments then? Would you rather there be uniform state laws to run every town, and no individual say? This is what the residents, business and property owners of this town wanted.

"The law passed unanimously, and no one spoke against it. Several residents strongly supported the law".

They are not planning to run over anyone's civil rights or toss the kids in jail.

"Troiano said he hopes no one will have to be cited by police for violating the ordinance. Rather, he said, a well-placed word from an officer should suffice to convince boardwalk patrons with overly low-slung jeans to hike them up"

"The city is not going to be out hunting these kids down," the mayor said. "We're not going to be out there with a tape measure. But we know what's right and not right. If we don't make an attempt to clean our town up, who's going to?"

Take a look at the picture halfway down the page, and tell me how anyone is going to suffer due to this ban. Saggy Pants Banned On Boardwalk By Wildwood, New Jersey

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-15-2013 at 07:11 PM..

Old 06-15-2013, 07:19 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Discrimination towards who? If you believe this ban was aimed toward African Americans, you would be mistaken, as the majority of kids hanging out on the Wildwood boardwalk are middle-class white kids.

There is no constitutional right to dress however you want anywhere you want, and why should someone who doesn't even live there or visit and spend money there have more right to define indecent exposure for them than they do? This is a city whose economy is entirely based on tourism, and their customers have been telling them what they do not like when they come spend their money there and asking them to do something about it.

"Wildwood passed a law Wednesday night banning overly saggy pants on the boardwalk, prompted by numerous complaints from longtime visitors about having to see people's rear ends hanging out in public."

What's more, why shouldn't the citizens and business owners have the freedom to decide for themselves what is best for their town? Why even have city councils or local governments then? Would you rather there be uniform state laws to run every town, and no individual say? This is what the residents, business and property owners of this town wanted.

"The law passed unanimously, and no one spoke against it. Several residents strongly supported the law".

They are not planning to run over anyone's civil rights or toss the kids in jail.

"Troiano said he hopes no one will have to be cited by police for violating the ordinance. Rather, he said, a well-placed word from an officer should suffice to convince boardwalk patrons with overly low-slung jeans to hike them up"

"The city is not going to be out hunting these kids down," the mayor said. "We're not going to be out there with a tape measure. But we know what's right and not right. If we don't make an attempt to clean our town up, who's going to?"

Take a look at the picture halfway down the page, and tell me how anyone is going to suffer due to this ban. Saggy Pants Banned On Boardwalk By Wildwood, New Jersey
Like I said. Ban cleavage. Make it fair.

After hearing about their other bans (bare foot, shirtless) it's not an issue like I initially thought.

Still though, I don't think we should banning clothing in public places. I'll make sure to never go to Wildwood. Unless I wanted to be bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies