Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 07:50 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,657,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
not defending this bonehead law,but I guess you live somewhere where white people dont dress in that manner?
I live in New Orleans perhaps the place this black fashion style was first created.

No, I don't really notice white people dressing in this matter. Here in New Orleans many young black men wear their pants 10 inches below their waist. This behavior greatly upsets many white racists in New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 07:52 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
If you dont like it, stop looking.

I dont care for the sagging look either, but god, i love the girls in the bikini's on the beach. Ban guys butt cheeks, then you have to do the same to the girls. I dont wanna lose that

Yes, this is very unconstitutional. Smoking on the beach should not be banned either. I dont smoke, dont care for it either, but cigarettes are legal and smokers have rights to.

I think liberals should be banned. One who forces their opinions into laws has no right being here in this county. We should be free to where what we want, despite what one thinks of it.

Why cant one just ignore what they dont like.

Or, when do we start banning fat people?
Ban ban ban. Get over it. Sagging pants are not hurting you.
When I was young I would have agreed, but when I was young 50% of the young people were not obese like they are today.

I mean seriously, I've never seen so many under 30 fatties in my life as I do today. And they wear the same clothes the normal sized people do so they look gross IMO.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:54 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,657,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
not defending this bonehead law,but I guess you live somewhere where white people dont dress in that manner?
Perhaps you don't know the following, but the fashion style of wearing your pants low, is 100% a fashion style created by black Americans.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:55 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,673,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It's nowhere near that. Is it Nazi when you go to court and are asked to leave the courtroom because you don't have proper attire on?
You can go to court dress as you want.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:56 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Your thoughts? unconstitutional ?

I wonder which part of the Constitution is applicable?

I don't see anything in the body of the Constitution that would be remotely applicable.

First Amendment: freedom of speech? Well, I guess if the plaintiffs claim that wearing 'saggy pants' is 'speech'. However, dress codes have generally been upheld over the decades, although I do not know if the Supreme Court has addresed this issue specifically (save for one case involving wearing a shirt or jeans with the American flag on it, which was considered protected speech).

Otherwise, I don't see where any other amendment would be applicable, save for perhaps the Ninth Amendment: "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

However, I can't really see any Court ruling such.

I also wonder who would have 'standing' to sue the city: I guess the police would have to stop someone in saggy pants, measure, and then issue the ticket (note that the ordinance only provides for a fine, not any jail time).

Old 06-13-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well gee you didn't place any limits on what they could ban.
These bans started years ago and nobody spoke out.
Now you get what you get today.

It's really all or none here.
You can't cherry pick what to ban and what not to ban because there's always someone who wants something else banned for one reason or another.
I agree.

Just because one person dislikes another.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I wonder which part of the Constitution is applicable?

I don't see anything in the body of the Constitution that would be remotely applicable.

First Amendment: freedom of speech? Well, I guess if the plaintiffs claim that wearing 'saggy pants' is 'speech'. However, dress codes have generally been upheld over the decades, although I do not know if the Supreme Court has addresed this issue specifically (save for one case involving wearing a shirt or jeans with the American flag on it, which was considered protected speech).

Otherwise, I don't see where any other amendment would be applicable, save for perhaps the Ninth Amendment: "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

However, I can't really see any Court ruling such.

I also wonder who would have 'standing' to sue the city: I guess the police would have to stop someone in saggy pants, measure, and then issue the ticket (note that the ordinance only provides for a fine, not any jail time).
You agree with the ban until they come up with a ban that will affect you years down the road.

Would you ban muslims dressed covered from head to toe? Or Turbans?

Old 06-13-2013, 08:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
So long as they do not ban slim women in string bikinis I simply do not care what the guys are wearing. I don't notice.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:01 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
I think it is a very weird trend yet for some reason has persisted, but I would never agree with lawmakers telling people how to dress. In fact making sagging illegal will probably have the opposite of the intended effect on a weird trend that was probably dying out before it was codified into law anyway.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Asking people not to show their asses in public?
I guess Bikini's Fit the description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies