Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 01:55 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,539,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Palin is into PC? Who would have known? Ain't it funny how PC matters when you or yours are the ones they are talking about?
Exactly. I'm no fan of Maher, but this only shows once again that Palin is a clown.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:37 AM

37,032 posts, read 41,957,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's ok, seeing as how most retarded people are around an IQ of 70, most likely you have a 30-40 pt advantage on them.

So, how would you feel if someone with a 30-40 pt advantage on you called you a retard?

Just saying....

P.S. I've tested around 160, let me know what I should call you. However, I won't because relative to some....I too am a "retard".
You can call me Ceece. I'm not in the habit of calling anyone names but that doesn't mean the word "retarded" is banned from my vocabulary. I'm sure someone with your IQ can figure out how I do that.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:55 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,308,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I would guess it's because people started using it as an insult at one point. That's all it takes to ruin it for the entire world. Someday, "special needs" will be offensive and we'll have to come up with some other label that is both less accurate and more time consuming to say than "special needs".

"Special needs" is already pretty far off. Why are we assuming that everyone who is mentally retarded needs more of, well, anything than some of the typical folks who are not mentally retarded. Is this not also an insult? I know I've met my share of people I would call "special needs" in a heartbeat though they are not mentally retarded.
I agree with everything you say here. As I said earlier, I've worked with developmentally disabled people off and on for decades. Actually first started doing it way before that when I was in the 4th grade, helping my mom who volunteered in that line of work.

The terminology is ever-changing. Even the new DSM-V uses somethng along the lines of "intellectual deficit" instead of "mental retardation" although "M.R." is still commonly used as an Axis diagnosis.

Years back, society commonly referred to people with downs syndrome as "mongoloids." Of course, a little over a century ago, there was still a widespread belief that people with such conditions were possessed by demons and other such nonsense, so I guess there has been some progress.

But yes, the lexicon of the language changes all the time. When I first got into the field, the people with whom I worked were called patients, or sometimes residents if they lived in a group home. Then it was decided that these terms had too much of a stigma, so the term "individual" became de rigeur. Nowadays the term most often used is "consumer."

Sheesh.

I just call them people. But if I need to convey to someone that they might have "special needs" (another clunky term) I usually tell people a person has a developmental disability. I'm sure that too will fall out of favor.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:14 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,181,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
'I hope your lily white a** gets flattened!' Sarah Palin lashes out at Bill Maher after he 'refers to her special needs son as retarded'

Maher, is another classless liberal idiot.
Responding to another classless conservative idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfurm View Post
So you have no problem with this? So kids are now in play? You have a problem with Palin take it up with her, not her 5 year old. Get a grip and grow TFU.
She's the one who put her kids on display.

______
BTW, Maher is as big an idiot as Coulter.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:21 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,673,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Responding to another classless conservative idiot.

She's the one who put her kids on display.

______
BTW, Maher is as big an idiot as Coulter.

Still praying for you Chilly!

Old 06-14-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Amazing. You completly missed the point where a child was the target of the joke.
FLASHBACK: When Rush Limbaugh's Hate Was Televised | Blog | Media Matters for America
Limbaugh began the segment by noting that the New York Daily News' David Hinckley published a list of who's entering and leaving the White House. Limbaugh stated: "He says, In: A cute kid in the White House. Out: Cute dog in the White House.' Could -- could we see the cute kid? Let's take a look at -- see who is the cute kid in the White House."

The program then put up a picture of Millie, the Bush family's dog. Limbaugh responded, in mock confusion, "No, no, no, no. That's not the kid." The program then puts up a picture of Chelsea Clinton, with Rush saying, "that's the kid."

I guess IOKIYAR.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:46 AM

76,826 posts, read 47,146,947 times
Quote:
'I hope your lily white a** gets flattened!' Sarah Palin lashes out at Bill Maher after he 'refers to her special needs son as retarded'

Maher needs to learn to be more politically correct

Old 06-14-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I haven't read through the entire thread. Does anyone have a clip or know what Maher actually said? Was it a cheap shot / attempt at humor or did he just refer to her son as retarded?

Either way, it seems insensitive and unnecessary.

I think Palin is an idiotic partisan hack boob, but I've worked with people with special needs off and on for more than half my life, and I'm a pretty strong advocate for them, so I guess I can get pretty riled.
Better yet, it seems like it didn't even happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Bill Maher is just a piece of sh*t wrapped in skin. He's about as funny as someone unloading a truckload
of dead babies with a pitchfork.

Karma usually catches up with scumbags like that......
So, since you're so outraged, please provide something/anything about this "joke" that he supposedly made.

Go ahead.

I don't watch him at all, but you're ticked off for something that most likely didn't occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Maher needs to learn to be more politically correct
So you don't know what was said, if anything at all, yet are commenting as if you do.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:20 AM

29,918 posts, read 18,480,271 times
Quote:

It is okay to be a vicious and grossly offensive if you are a liberal. Maher gets away with his nasty attacks by claiming "he is just a comedian". Gee............... I guess that makes it perfectly fine.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:22 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,871,832 times
This is the video:
http://the-american-journal.com/hbos...down-syndrome/

What Maher said about Palin was that she was part of a "family of inbred weirdos," and I didn't hear him say anything directly about Palin's son. What Maher also said was that Palin was a 'professional victim and whiner,' which by her reaction seems to be absolutely true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.