Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 10:21 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,838,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I do not believe there are enough detectives for all the 1-50s that might need them but again it's moot here.

Though, if your jurisdiction is confiscating cell phones on a regular bases for a $100 fine, I'd like to read more via links.
I can't post links because most of them never make the news, they're simply not "newsworthy". Most cell phone seizures where a warrant is required (and we always go for a warrant unless it's exigent circumstances) are Narc investigations, we search your house or car, we want the cell phones as well, also, with just a snip of your post "I do not believe there are enough detectives", how do you know? How do you know how many DT's NJ has on call at any given time? How many get sent to this call or that call? You don't, and neither do I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 10:35 PM

255 posts, read 219,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Well, what would be probable cause, just that they were in an accident? Like, if I get rear-ended by some guy who's not paying attention to what's in front of him, I get my phone taken and searched?
The logical counter to that would be to have the party deemed at fault surrender their phone. But, that still violates privacy laws. How many police do you see driving around using their cell phones. I personally have seen cops driving while typing on their laptops. Hypocrisy?

Old 06-15-2013, 10:36 PM

255 posts, read 219,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
What if a passenger was using it? Hrm, guess they didn't think that far (no surprise there).
Yeah, are they seriously going to insist that all passengers in the car surrender their phones too? Absolutely unnecessary.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:23 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,155,693 times
Oh, for sure! We need MORE laws, we just on't have enough laws yet! More Laws! More Laws! More Laws!!!!!

Old 06-16-2013, 05:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Curious in this day and age of every ones total addiction to technology that every one aspires to this ideal of privacy and wont hand over a phone if a cop asks for it after an accident yet these same people have no qualms about being on the internet,facebook,twitter and a myriad of other social sites where privacy left the building years ago, even your phone can be easily monitored by buying and easily modifying a radio scanner from radio shack Digital Scanners & Police Scanners: Radios | RadioShack.com
From the responses it seems obvious that most are hoping this law doesnt go through but if it does if the cop asks for your phone in an accident just hand it over as you have no privacy these days.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:34 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
You texters can cry all day long but the FACT is if you cause a wreck from being on the cell phone you are in BIG TROUBLE....argue with the judge...lol

Old 06-16-2013, 09:42 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
You texters can cry all day long but the FACT is if you cause a wreck from being on the cell phone you are in BIG TROUBLE....argue with the judge...lol
I don't think that is even being debated. No one on this thread has said texters shouldn't be held responsible for accidents they caused, so who are you arguing this point to?

Old 06-16-2013, 11:45 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Well, Canada, this is the part you aren't getting. You are equating a warrantless search by law enforcement, to using "Facebook, Twitter, and a myriad of other social sites", which a person uses voluntarily.

Also, the days of listening to mobile traffic with a scanner, ended with AMPS.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:56 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,889,316 times
How about using cell phones while walking? Seriously. Many times you see people talking, texting and face down oblivious to their surroundings. They walk right into you on sidewalks or even into streets and don't even check to see of there is any traffic.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:32 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
New law about to be implemented in NJ requiring drivers involved in an accident to hand over their cell phones. presumably to see if texting or being distracted by the phone may have led to the accident. Sounds good to me, go for it.
Bill Would Make Drivers Hand Over Cell Phones After Accident In NJ « CBS New York
Guilty until proven innocent.
Papers please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies