Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
New law about to be implemented in NJ requiring drivers involved in an accident to hand over their cell phones. presumably to see if texting or being distracted by the phone may have led to the accident. Sounds good to me, go for it.
Bill Would Make Drivers Hand Over Cell Phones After Accident In NJ « CBS New York
oh????

so you get in an accident at 1330...at 1329 you get a text....was the accident due to a text????

meanewhile the iphone was in your purse in the backseat, and you didnt even hear it.......

is it still due to a text???

it can never be enforced if they make this a law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 10:24 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
You most certainly can be searched without a warrant. That doesn't mean they can do it randomly. Or that confiscating a cell phone isn't a violation of the 4th.
We know there exceptions but they are specific. And if I'm on the jury, searching a cell phone without permission or a warrant would get my vote for "not guilty" because that is a violation of the 4th amendment.

Here is a good description;

While police generally need a warrant to search you or your property — during a traffic stop, police only need probable cause to legally search your vehicle. Probable cause means police must have some facts or evidence to believe you’re involved in criminal activity.
In other words, an officer’s hunch without evidence of illegal activity is not enough to legally search your car. Before searching, he must observe something real. Common examples of probable cause include the sight or smell of contraband in plain view or plain smell, or an admission of guilt for a specific crime. The presentation of any of these facts would allow an officer to perform a search and make an arrest.
Be aware that minor traffic violations (e.g. speeding, broken tail-light, or expired registration) are not considered probable cause.

When can police search your car? | Flex Your Rights

Old 06-17-2013, 10:28 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
link?
Motor vehicle exception - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
We know there exceptions but they are specific. And if I'm on the jury, searching a cell phone without permission or a warrant would get my vote for "not guilty" because that is a violation of the 4th amendment.
Well, no, the evidence obtained from the illegal search would be excluded. If you voted not-guilty based on that, the D.A would probably move for a mistrial.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post

I already feel a if the government has too much control over me to begin with, why do we just keep giving up in the name of "safety"?
Exactly! That's really the bottom line.

And it does not improve safety.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
We're not talking about probable cause. We are all quite aware of that specific exception.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
We're not talking about probable cause. We are all quite aware of that specific exception.
Then why did you ask for a link when I said that?

Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh????
so you get in an accident at 1330...at 1329 you get a text....was the accident due to a text????
meanewhile the iphone was in your purse in the backseat, and you didnt even hear it.......
is it still due to a text???
it can never be enforced if they make this a law
Well you dont have to shoot the messenger. i posted the topic and link to get some debate on how people feel about such laws, my liking the law is based on the assumption that it may provide some thought on a texters actions that there will be accountability to persuing that action and maybe they'll think twice about texting and driving, seems the overwhelming response is it wont do anything to stop people texting and driving, seems the cops will have to pry those cell .........yadda yadda.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Probably cause and the police can do the same with your house here.

They are staking out a suspected drug dealer. They see him go into a house and decide to pick him up. They knock on the door and start hearing the toilet flushing.

They would have probable cause to go in.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Probably cause and the police can do the same with your house here.

They are staking out a suspected drug dealer. They see him go into a house and decide to pick him up. They knock on the door and start hearing the toilet flushing.

They would have probable cause to go in.
The difference is that with the car, there doesn't have to be exigent circumstances.

Last edited by zombocom; 06-17-2013 at 11:51 AM..

Old 06-17-2013, 11:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
The difference is that with the car, there doesn't have to be exigent circumstances.
Your article says there does. The police can not simply pull you over and decide they want to search your car.

You first had to have done something illegal to get stopped in the first place and then there must be something that gives them probable cause.

Just as I note they can do in your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies