Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:51 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,751,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Sadly, George W. Bush is a mirror of the American peoples desires and hopes as are most Presidents. We the people are responsible for this pin head thus far and I hold no honor in this thought.

He reminds me of what Ronald Reagan once said when describing government.

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. --Ronald Reagan
I don’t agree that George is a mirror of the American people. On the contrary he hasn’t listened to any of the people! The people of the country are very much against the nation in debt. (or so I would hope) However he (Georgie) is not a mirror of my personal actions or what I want in a president.

He is connected to big business and corporations listening to them ONLY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 11:21 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,142,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I don’t agree that George is a mirror of the American people. On the contrary he hasn’t listened to any of the people! The people of the country are very much against the nation in debt. (or so I would hope) However he (Georgie) is not a mirror of my personal actions or what I want in a president.

He is connected to big business and corporations listening to them ONLY.
Well I realize I have a tendency to wax philosophically and speak metaphorically at times and it is in this manner of which I am describing.

In direct and actual comparison, few people in America mirror George W Bush, as most are still being held back in the 7th grade or died in Jonestown already.

However, consider this, it is my assertion we are living in a time of fundamental faith. Faith that our government will save and protect us, faith our money will always be good, faith that we are inherently superior to any other people, nation or manner of thought living on the planet, faith that God chooses the American people above all others.

Ask the average individual American if they are living within their means. Most will say yes. Yet most middle and even upper middle class people are not financially secure enough to weather any short term economic downturn, let alone a long term one. There are actually people who still think their pensions and 401k's are impervious to economic downturns.

Morally one doesn't have to look further than their living room TV or the internet. You can even use the growing number of laws that are added to our books each day as an indicator to the decline of our ability to think, use judgment, and act responsibly. Some will die for the right of a fetus to be born only to shoot it in the head when it doesn't attend a church of the same faith.

For the most part there are vast and large segments of American society that are apathetic, morally devoid or at least confused, spending like drunken sailors in a ******ouse with a fist full of fifties, intellectually deficient due to choice, and all believing that in the end they are somehow #1.

In this respect, I see many of the American people in the same light as Georgie.

Thankfully there are the remnant in which I hope we can count on.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:06 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,751,792 times
TnHilltopper:

Very well said and I have to agree with you. Too many Americans follow by example and the government over the last several years has made it much easier for people to become extended beyond their means. Both corporate and government removed the safeguards and protection that had been in place for years.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:39 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,233,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well I realize I have a tendency to wax philosophically and speak metaphorically at times and it is in this manner of which I am describing.

In direct and actual comparison, few people in America mirror George W Bush, as most are still being held back in the 7th grade or died in Jonestown already.

However, consider this, it is my assertion we are living in a time of fundamental faith. Faith that our government will save and protect us, faith our money will always be good, faith that we are inherently superior to any other people, nation or manner of thought living on the planet, faith that God chooses the American people above all others.

Ask the average individual American if they are living within their means. Most will say yes. Yet most middle and even upper middle class people are not financially secure enough to weather any short term economic downturn, let alone a long term one. There are actually people who still think their pensions and 401k's are impervious to economic downturns.

Morally one doesn't have to look further than their living room TV or the internet. You can even use the growing number of laws that are added to our books each day as an indicator to the decline of our ability to think, use judgment, and act responsibly. Some will die for the right of a fetus to be born only to shoot it in the head when it doesn't attend a church of the same faith.

For the most part there are vast and large segments of American society that are apathetic, morally devoid or at least confused, spending like drunken sailors in a ******ouse with a fist full of fifties, intellectually deficient due to choice, and all believing that in the end they are somehow #1.

In this respect, I see many of the American people in the same light as Georgie.

Thankfully there are the remnant in which I hope we can count on.
Oh, please. Deficit spending and lving beyond one's means started with Bush? Think 1929. Foolish behaviors have been with us as long as there have been humans. You might as well say that Bush causes rudeness and sleep apnea, while you're at it.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
TnHilltopper:

Very well said and I have to agree with you. Too many Americans follow by example and the government over the last several years has made it much easier for people to become extended beyond their means. Both corporate and government removed the safeguards and protection that had been in place for years.
I am not sure if it is government emulating the human desire to live larger than life or the people following the example of a government.

In either case, I suspect it it a collision of circumstances that has led us here today. It has been a good long while since this country faced any real catastrophic situations due to economics or social degradation. In some respects, GW Bush is just part of the perfect storm that will likely lead to a long overdue cyclical self correction. Although the shrub has lived a life of privilege and pomp, much like that of an ignorant spoiled child who was never taught right from wrong, so it is only natural that his lack of leadership would help speed things along.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:21 PM

397 posts, read 262,580 times
at least Bush is spending the money on wars which is making people with oil and defense stocks more money, Democraps spend money on food and shelter for the poor, Death to the Democrats!

Old 11-06-2007, 02:32 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,593,649 times
I believe in the principle that people in democracies tend to get the governments they deserve. I just hope that I am not like "most people" in that regard.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:34 PM

24,453 posts, read 33,130,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
at least Bush is spending the money on wars which is making people with oil and defense stocks more money, Democraps spend money on food and shelter for the poor, Death to the Democrats!
Bush has spent more on domestic social programs than Clinton did.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:04 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Bush has spent more on domestic social programs than Clinton did.

Where'd you see that?

Old 11-06-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Where'd you see that?
I think you can see this under the giant pile of WMD's on the White House lawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies