Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:53 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
They are the teapartiers not teabaggers.
The PC police is here.

They are TEABAGGERS, with a capital T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 07:55 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanNature View Post
If someone says a negative stereotype about a group of people the PC crowd will go nuts and say generalizations are rarely if ever true.

But the media is full of stories about how wonderful "Immigrants" are. One of the first things they say is immigrants are hard working and family orientated.

Why is it OK to stereotype immigrants as hard working but not OK to stereotype immigrants potentially negative traits?

Yes, some immigrants are hard working but who knows if they are actually harder working than native born Americans. Please.... if we can't stereotype, why can the media tell us a stereotype about immigrants as truth over and over?
Im like you...I dont think anybody is hardworking anymore. You are right, Americans are all free loaders and slackers.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:02 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
I have never seen a Hispanic or Asian begging for money on the street.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Whether or not they are hard working, if they are not here legally, they are working illegally. A true immigrant applies for (and pays for) a green card and that card will allow them to work. A legal immigrant has had a background check and we know who they are. What's the merit in working hard if you are breaking the law by doing it?

Many of us had grandparents who came here legally and were hard working. They had sponsors, they filled in long applications, they paid the government--they had the right to be here and to be proudly known as hard workers.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:11 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
While slightly off topic, our economy down here (Jersey shore) couldn't survive without foreigners. American kids don't need or want jobs in the numbers they once did, and are unwilling or not allowed by their parents to spend a summer crammed 10 to an apartment in order to afford to be here to work for the summer. Our town is inundated with Visa students to work in the summer, and I've read that one of the biggest amusement parks on the boardwalk in another shore town nearby actually contracts with an agency in Taiwan to get temp workers for the summer. We also have a good number of Mexican workers too, but they are never in the front serving ice cream or buckling kids into rides, they are in the back cleaning the bathrooms and mopping the floor and washing dishes. If it's as hard as it is to get workers to fill the "fun" jobs, how hard can you imagine it is to find workers for those jobs?

I have also heard from neighbors who own businesses, that unlike many American kids, they don't call out or show up late, they work 12-16 hour days without complaining, and don't quit in the height of the season.
That may be true at Jersey shore, but it is decidedly untrue where I live. Farm country where kids still work the farm and yes 12 and 16 hour days.
Maybe American kids just don't want to work for the lowball rates that illegals do? I raised my kids to be smarter than that.
Those foreign kids that come here to work? 2 of my wife's nieces did that. They are from Thailand. They are made promises and then the promises are broken. They might work 3 12 hour days but never over 39 hour weeks. often they are called to work 2 hours and sent back until some other mundane task need be completed. But at least that is a legal immigrant which the media saw fit to lump with criminals. How disrespectful is that?

Old 06-14-2013, 08:42 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Have you seen one with a gun robbing a convenience store?

Old 06-14-2013, 08:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Where I live, the only beggars are hispanics and whites. I don't believe I've ever seen a black beggar or an Asian beggar where I live. Lots of hispanics though.

Also you have to consider who easily immigrants are given welfare handouts if they just have babies -- and then there is no need at all to beg.

Just like Jeb Bush brought up their sky high birth rates, how many of those births do you think were actually paid for by the immigrant compared with how many were paid for by the taxpayers?

Old 06-14-2013, 08:46 PM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Have you seen one with a gun robbing a convenience store?
You must be kidding if you don't think illegals and or Hispanics in general don't commit crimes. Let's start with ID theft just for starters. Every time I open my local newspaper and a crime is reported 75% of the time it is someone with a Hispanic surname. Educate yourself.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:49 PM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
The PC police is here.

They are TEABAGGERS, with a capital T.
No, they aren't! A teabagger is a derogatory word for a gay person or gay sexual activity. Learn to know the difference. It has been stretched to include to be a derogatory word for the teapartiers also.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
So what's the point in coming here? They can be poor and hardworking back in their home country.
If they were really hard working, their own countries wouldn't look the way they do.

There is also working smart versus working hard.

You can have 5 acres you want plowed. If you tell an illegal from Latin America, he'll grab a shovel and get going. If you tell an American you want those acres plowed, he's going to ask you where is the tractor.

In a couple of hours, the American will be finished and putting the tractor away, probably never broke a sweat, the days later the immigrant will still be out there shoveling away.

Americans work smart. That's why our country got so much better than the countries millions are fleeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies