Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the Millenial Generation Help Improve the US?
Yes, they will help society grow in a positive way. 51 35.66%
No, they will not contribute as much as other generations. 65 45.45%
They will have minimal impact. 27 18.88%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 06:12 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan95 View Post
Ok I'm a millennial here, turning 18 soon. There are so many things on this thread that have made me feel it necessary to comment. Do you want to know the attitude of most people my age? It's that we got completely and totally screwed over.
me too. I am gen'xer by the way

Quote:
That's how I feel sometimes; and yet there is also the belief that we can make things better, and I believe that too. I must address a few things. I really hate the stereotype I've seen here that millennials are "addicted" to technology that Boomers created. This is overwhelmingly false. Sure some people are, but the older generations seem to misunderstand our uses for it. We aren't addicted, but rather utilizing it. For example I am using my laptop right now to take part in a conversation that never would have happened without it. And my mother is probably looking at me going "Boy that kid is on his laptop too much, he's addicted too it." Which isn't true. I also hate the notion that we are lazy. I, along with many other kids I know are killing themselves to get good grades because we know that the world we are graduating into will be very difficult if we don't, because of how the older generations made it. This is the most tolerant, and most educated generation to ever live in the U.S. I saw a post about how millennials haven't done anything special yet, to which I vehemently disagree. I'm not going to find specific examples but I'm 100% positive there have been many great contributions to this world by millennials, and you can google it. Give us our time to step into important positions vacated by Boomers and Gen-X , and positive change will occur I believe. We haven't had our time yet, but when it comes, great things will happen. For everyone's sake, I hope they do. Someone said earlier that there are a lot of childless, bitter Boomers on this page and I cannot help but agree with that. The Boomers did great things, but Gen-Y will do better. It's a shame most of you won't be around to see.
just some thoughts. Not directed totally to you but people of your generation that got to coddled from their baby boomer parents.
Don't be hellicopter parents to your kids like the boomers. Realize losing isn't as bad as it seems. you don't need a trophy just for participating. I could go on and on but I think many of the stereotypes are true but they were put on your generation by your parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 07:18 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Baby boomers most idealistic generation ever.
Agreed, and that idealism gave us "we can have as many government services as we want and pay record low taxes" which gave us the mess we have now.

Millennials on average are more practical than boomers, partly because of diminished expectations. Of course this is subjective and YMMV.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:23 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
me too. I am gen'xer by the way

just some thoughts. Not directed totally to you but people of your generation that got to coddled from their baby boomer parents.
Don't be hellicopter parents to your kids like the boomers. Realize losing isn't as bad as it seems. you don't need a trophy just for participating. I could go on and on but I think many of the stereotypes are true but they were put on your generation by your parents.
I agree. For all of the complaining that Baby Boomers have about Gen Y or Millenials, they need to ask themselves, just who raised them? Hint: look in the mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Agreed, and that idealism gave us "we can have as many government services as we want and pay record low taxes" which gave us the mess we have now.

Millennials on average are more practical than boomers, partly because of diminished expectations. Of course this is subjective and YMMV.
Now that those Baby Boomers are old, they are the most pessimistic, cynical generation today

Old 06-20-2013, 08:26 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Thank the Boomers for coddling them and telling them lies to make them feel they are more important than they really are.
That is what I have always said. I blame the philosophies of the parents.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:54 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,396 times
It's highly amusing watching all of the millenials on here lecture to the rest of us how bad the boomers are and how they (the millenials) are going to solve all of the world's problems becuase they are so thoughtful, talented and unique. What's even more amzing is how they can know this to be an absolutely certainty when the sum life experience for the majority of them consists of sleeping until noon every day at college where they continued to live off of mommy and daddy's dime while taking a few poli sci classes taught by leftist 60's relics. It matters not that most of them have never had to make a single mortgage payment, never had to feed, clothe, house their own offspring, never had a slew of monthly recurring expenses to pay for etc etc Damn it they know how to work tech gadegets, they attended a bunch of self-righteous, feel good, rah rah college campus political evetns, they all about how the world works and they're ready to take over and save the world from the preceeding generations. Does the narcissim get any more repugnant?

It's a cliche but true. Youth is wasted on the young. I was born in early 1977 so I guess that makes me a late Gen x'er. While it's true that the boomers and gen x'ers have done grave damage to this nation and this world it's awefully haughty of the millenials to open their mouths at 22 years of age and proclaim themselves saviors. The one thing that comes with age, for all generations, is humility. Unless you have everything handed to you which most don't as they age, life teaches you humility as you grow older. The millenials posting on this thread and most I've had the misfortune to come across in life obviously can't even begin to comprehend the true meaning of the word. Let's wait until the millenials are pushing 60-70 to accurately and fully assess their generation. As it stands now most of them are nothing but a bunch of loud mouthed pissants with a grossly overinflated sense of self worth and who know almost next to nothing about how the world really works.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
It's highly amusing watching all of the millenials on here lecture to the rest of us how bad the boomers are and how they (the millenials) are going to solve all of the world's problems becuase they are so thoughtful, talented and unique. What's even more amzing is how they can know this to be an absolutely certainty when the sum life experience for the majority of them consists of sleeping until noon every day at college where they continued to live off of mommy and daddy's dime while taking a few poli sci classes taught by leftist 60's relics. It matters not that most of them have never had to make a single mortgage payment, never had to feed, clothe, house their own offspring, never had a slew of monthly recurring expenses to pay for etc etc Damn it they know how to work tech gadegets, they attended a bunch of self-righteous, feel good, rah rah college campus political evetns, they all about how the world works and they're ready to take over and save the world from the preceeding generations. Does the narcissim get any more repugnant?

It's a cliche but true. Youth is wasted on the young. I was born in early 1977 so I guess that makes me a late Gen x'er. While it's true that the boomers and gen x'ers have done grave damage to this nation and this world it's awefully haughty of the millenials to open their mouths at 22 years of age and proclaim themselves saviors. The one thing that comes with age, for all generations, is humility. Unless you have everything handed to you which most don't as they age, life teaches you humility as you grow older. The millenials posting on this thread and most I've had the misfortune to come across in life obviously can't even begin to comprehend the true meaning of the word. Let's wait until the millenials are pushing 60-70 to accurately and fully assess their generation. As it stands now most of them are nothing but a bunch of loud mouthed pissants with a grossly overinflated sense of self worth and who know almost next to nothing about how the world really works.

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world."

Harriet Tubman

Old 06-20-2013, 11:07 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,075 times
Improve how?

Old 06-20-2013, 11:20 AM

895 posts, read 1,703,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post

I think the attitudes of both the boomers and the millenials create a vicious cycle. Millenials are somewhat bitter because they believe that they have inherited a downtrodden economy and boomers are bitter because they percieve Millenials as narcissistic, inadequate, and generally unable to handle to handle real world situations as a result of excessive pampering and addiction to technology. I believe that Millienials adopt the "I can change the world" persona because they are deep down very insecure about dealing with real world issues. It creates a vicious cycle because after this defense mechanism is implemented, it gives boomers the impression that millenials are haughty. Both parties are equally to blame but I don't thinking blaming solves anything and its more important to put our heads together to form a solution.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:03 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
Quote:
when the sum life experience for the majority of them consists of sleeping until noon every day at college where they continued to live off of mommy and daddy's dime while taking a few poli sci classes
Wrong - most "millennials" do not attend college. Try again.

Anyway, they don't have any power. People under 30 or so are a minority fraction of the electorate, their bosses are usually Boomer-aged, just about all of the leading politicians today are Boomers, and so are corporate CEOs. Boomers run and control the world, and under the "you break it, you buy it" principle, they're going to take most of the blame for what happens as a result. At least until they are no longer in power. And then we'll see what happens.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:33 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
^
They dont have power but they have numbers. Isnt this supposed to be a boomer-sized generational cohort?

I just hope they keep their idealism and open-mindedness as they mature into middle age, unlike the boomers.

It was always sad to read about these idealistic "1960s" boomer types morphing into right wing jerks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies