Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 05:14 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
I guess Nevada governor doesn't mind that its state is one of the most crime-ridden in USA
Exactly what would background checks do to improve that situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 11:50 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,966 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, the so-called gun grabbers (whatever it means) also lost in Maryland, Connecticut, California, New York State and... Colorado!
No biggy. Those are the looniest states in the union anyway..... freedom has long been abandoned there. None of them were surprises..... except maybe colorado..... and thats only happened because enough Liberal transplants came from cali and set up shop there.....

Quote:
Or maybe you don't know what to say, because FBI data dismantles gun nuts mantra...
But you could link some "unbiased" study that proves that easy availability of firearms lowers crime, gun deaths and murders

So you can't provide the statistics that support your claim?

Old 06-16-2013, 12:09 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,541,876 times
Doesn't Chicago have the most gun restrictions in the country?

Sure is working out there, huh?

Old 06-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 20 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,535,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Yes, but when someone buys alcohol, there is someone there to check ID and make sure they are old enough. That equates to a viable plan of enforcement does it not? Not so with the failed background check law. Alas, teens still DO get alcohol, but with that law, there are firewalls standing between a teen and that bottle of Vodka they'd like to buy. Passing the background check law would be like passing a law that says I have to check someones ID before I serve them a drink in my home. You can pass all the laws you like, but there would be nothing standing in my way to serve a teen a drink without checking ID first. You can punish me later, but the damage is already done.
the people in front of the counter at a store are not checked by the government unless they are reported to be breaking the law or if a police department/news crew just decides to do an undercover sting. This is the problem with your logic... There is also not a government uplink in your car that says what speed you are going on a specific highway either. So someone can speed without facing the consequences.

in most states, the consumption of alcohol is not illegal for minors with the permission from an adult. Its the sell of it to minors that is illegal.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:24 PM

1,137 posts, read 971,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The Republicans sink ever further into extremism and oblivion. Real Americans welcome their coming demise.
lol exactly what about this was "extreme"?

Old 06-16-2013, 12:45 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
the people in front of the counter at a store are not checked by the government unless they are reported to be breaking the law or if a police department/news crew just decides to do an undercover sting

Still, there is a viable plan of enforcement in place. Is it 100% effective? No, but it doesn't have to be. Not so with background check requirements on private sales of firearms. There would be literally nothing standing in the way of a private seller and buyer.

Quote:
This is the problem with your logic... There is also not a government uplink in your car that says what speed you are going on a specific highway either. So someone can speed without facing the consequences.
Correct, but still, there is a viable way to enforce the law. We don't set speeding regs and just hope that people will follow them. We set them, and then we send police out to patrol the roadways and if they see a violation, they will ticket the offender.

Quote:
in most states, the consumption of alcohol is not illegal for minors with the permission from an adult. Its the sell of it to minors that is illegal.
You're missing the point. Just assume for a second it was completely illegal for minors to drink alcohol. Then, say a law is passed stating I must check the ID's of anyone before serving them alcohol in my home. There is absolutely no way to enforce that requirement at all is there? It's the same with doing background checks on gun buyers.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:53 PM

510 posts, read 888,881 times
Quote:
Western Europe.
Australia.
Japan.
Canada.
South Korea.

Compare the murder rate of such places vs USA one: in particular southern states.
Those areas had extremely low firearms murder rates even before they enacted strict gun control (bans).
Even with all the confiscation and bans in England, they still had a mass shooting in 2010. Also, since the bans those countries tend to have increases in the criminal element--UK and Australia experienced big increases in handgun crime.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:59 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,496 times
Quote:
What?
A state with lenient gun laws has crime?
What a big surprise... I thought states with lenient gun laws were crime-free utopias
Google chicago murder rates.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:10 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I still don't understand the problem with background checks.
One more time..... There are back ground checks if you buy a gun in a shop. These do not take into consideration of a buyer is moon bat crazy, because it is legal to be moon bat crazy. There is no law against being moon bat crazy and if there were all the liberals and all the democrats would have to be locked up.

So no back ground checks can get crazy people for anything..........

When my Dad died my brother took his guns. I was fine with that, because Dad/s 2nd wife was going to give them to a friend of my Dads brother. My brother told my uncle and my step mother to pound salt and took the guns. Why he ever took them over several state lines. OMG!

My brother passed 10 zillion back ground check in Mass for gun and for Mil classified and then he died. And I took the guns and have them no over another state line and then the FBI called me because my brother ID badge was missing. It still is missing.... So then the FBI started to hassle mom and i called the FBI and advised they stop doing that..

Mom is moon bat crazy and when she is upset she make my life HELL. I told the FBI that if they didn't stop and it made my life HELL, I would make the Boston branch office of the FBI's lives Hell too They got that message loud and clear.

I wish you would. I am a equal opportunity Hell raiser.

More back ground checks are not going to stop real criminals.

Back ground checks stop real criminals from buying guns in a gun store. That is the best you are going to get from a back ground check.

back ground checks are not going to stop people who are to young legally from getting guns period.
Gun Free Zones never worked and will never work no matter how hard you squeeze your eyes closed and click your heels to make request to Dorothy, it just isn't ever going to work period.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:12 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You could make that same argument of most goods that have someone kind of restriction on them, but guess what we still have those laws in place. Conservatives/Republicans seen to be arguing that if no law is 100% enforceable then it shouldnt exist, so why not just get rid of all laws.

You may have been debating this for months but it doesnt mean that your argument in the debate made sense to others.
That's too bad...... Maybe we should register all the uterus's in the USA huh? Mo one has the right to one and or to use it... 0 rights for either.

I bet you like that idea right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies